Developer

Apple

Manufacturer Foxconn (Rumored)
Type Smartphone
Form Factor Slate
Release date June/July 2013 (expected)
Operating system iOS 7 (expected)
Power Built-in non-removable rechargable lithium-ion polymer battery
Processor A7 ARM Cortex system-on-chip (possibly built on new 28nm fabrication)
SoC Memory Unknown
Storage 16, 32, 64 GB
Display Likely 4-inch Retina display
Input Lightning connector, microphone, Dual-mic noise suppression
Audio One earspeaker, one loudspeaker, 3.5mm headphone jack
Rear Camera Revised 8MP with f/2.0 lens and Smart Flash technology (expected)
Front Camera 1.2MP (expected)
Sensors Current 3-axis gyroscope, accelerometer 
Connectivity LTE, Wi-Fi (a/b/g/n dual-band), Bluetooth 4.0 (expected)
Online services iTunes, App Store, iCloud
Materials Gorilla Glass 3, anodized aluminum chassis (expected)
Dimensions 4.87" x 2.31" x 0.30" (expected)
Related articles Apple TV, iOS, Rumors
Website Apple.com

Apple's seventh-generation iPhone, expected to be called the iPhone 5S, will likely launch sometime in June or July of 2013. The timeframe is slightly faster than last year's annual upgrade cycle which itself had been pushed back from the mid-year iPhone introductions Apple had in place prior to 2011.

Contents

Features

Software

Apple's iOS 6 mobile operating system.

The iPhone 5S will likely feature Apple's next-generation iOS 7 mobile operating system. When iOS 6 launched alongside the iPhone 5, Apple debuted an all-new mapping system designed and built in-house using assets acquired from its purchase of three mapping technology companies; Sweden-based C3 Technologies in 2011, Poly9 in 2010, and Placebase in 2009.

Hardware

The internals of the 2013 iPhone will likely be upgraded to feature a 28nm SoC of Apple's design which could be dubbed the A7. With the current A6, Apple introduced its first ever chip design based on ARM architecture. 

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the iPhone 5S will take advantage of Apple's acquisition of AuthenTec, a hardware security firm specializing in fingerprint sensors. It is believed that the 5S will sport a so-called Smart Sensor in the unit's home button, a natural location for such a component as users frequently rest their thumbs in that location. The sensor itself can be used as both a security device and an input peripheral thanks to proprietary technology developed by AuthenTec. It is unknown if Apple will leverage the sensor's additional capabilities or merely use the small part for user recognition and hardware protection. 

Authentec
A purported fingerprint sensor could be a key addition to the iPhone 5S.

Design

The iPhone 5S is thought to keep the anodized aluminum chassis of its predecessor. The central part of the iPhone 5 body is machined out of a single piece of anodized aluminum, while two glass inlays are seated on the back of the handset. The front of the iPhone 5S will remain largely unchanged.

History

The iPhone 5S is a version update of 2012's iPhone 5, Apple's first 4G LTE-enabled handset.

Related Articles

Comments (3)

Just for laughs, Apple should name it iPhone 5/s
It's nice to see that spec sheet, but the additional 'expected', 'rumored' and 'possibly' are strange as the other specs are certainly not a certainty. For instance: 16, 32 and 64GB models? After the new new iPad we can't say for sure. And RIM, nee Blackberry just showed their 4.2" phone, Apple might follow in those footsteps (in order to retain the enterprise market?) We know nothing and can expect basically anything, right?
I am just praying that the screen has increased about the size of the Galaxy S4. If not, I am going to be sick. I love the apple product, but I pray that Apple would increase the screen size. Oh well, I guess, I will have to get my husband the Galaxy S4. I would rather for him to stick with IPhone, but he likes the screen size of the Galaxy. He states, "I can see this a whole lot better than the IPhone." Please increase the screen please.
AppleInsider › Articles › 2013 Iphone 5s