Rumor: Steve Jobs to appear at August Special Event!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Reported from MacDailyNews but their source was looprumors.

So here is the direct looprumors link:

http://www.looprumors.com/index.php?...special_event/

Something tells me that this will turn out to be true. Mactouch FTW?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Unless it is a new line of Touch/Tablet/IPods that don't fit in exactly with the others. That is Apples answer to the tablet and netbook crowds.

Honestly though I think any such event would likely be focused on new desktop hardware.

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The word incredulous comes to mind.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The 'big' announcement will be about:

- Snow Leopard shipping

- New iMacs with quad-core CPU on the high-end

- Newfound love for Blu-Ray drives in the high-end iMac (and the surprise announcement that SL now supports Blu-Ray

- BTO option for Blu-Ray drives for Mac Pro and 17" MacBook Pro
  • Reply 4 of 26
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Unless it is a new line of Touch/Tablet/IPods that don't fit in exactly with the others. That is Apples answer to the tablet and netbook crowds.

Honestly though I think any such event would likely be focused on new desktop hardware.

Dave

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The 'big' announcement will be about:

- Snow Leopard shipping

- New iMacs with quad-core CPU on the high-end

- Newfound love for Blu-Ray drives in the high-end iMac (and the surprise announcement that SL now supports Blu-Ray

- BTO option for Blu-Ray drives for Mac Pro and 17" MacBook Pro

While I believe they might mention snow leopard, isn't the fall event mostly about iPods? Even so, I think this might be the event where we see the next big thing from Apple. Why else do you think they are having Steve headline it? If it was another run of the mill show then they would have Phill do it as usual.....no?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I agree that Apple will likely not use Steve to merely introduce new iMacs or new iPod touches.

A press release would seem sufficient with even Phil presenting a bit too much.

However, I can see that Apple would use Steve to introduce a cornucopia of new products and services. Especially if one of these new items is something Apple wants to ensure gets proper press coverage. I'm thinking along the lines of when Apple introduced iTunes movie rentals.

In that sense I can imagine that "1080p HD" movies could be such a bigger theme.

Imagine:

- iTunes offering all movies also as 1080p purchase and rental titles.

- and while we're at it, new iPod touch models which can:

. . - get a 'digital copy' of these HD movies to watch on the iPod itself

. . - be used to download 1080p HD movies at Apple stores (for people with slow internet)

. . - directly display these 1080p HD movies on HD TVs via HDMI out

- FinalCut Pro and DVD Studio now supporting Blu-Ray production.

- Blu-Ray drives optional in Mac Pro, 14" iMac and 17" MacBook Pros.

- plus new 30" LED Apple Cinema Display with HDMI, DVI and miniDisplayPort (can be used by 1080p HD content creators, as well as Macs and iPods to view 1080p movies)

- and perhaps new iMacs

Such a 'bombardment' of new items, could quite certainly have Steve himself present it.

But of course it could also be about as of yet unannounced Snow Leopard features. Introduced just days before it starts shipping.

(To get people talking about SL big time just before Windows 7 ships.)

Or it could be about the fabled Apple reader/tablet/MacTouch to be introduced just before the back to school/uni season.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

I agree that Apple will likely not use Steve to merely introduce new iMacs or new iPod touches.

A press release would seem sufficient with even Phil presenting a bit too much.

However, I can see that Apple would use Steve to introduce a cornucopia of new products and services. Especially if one of these new items is something Apple wants to ensure gets proper press coverage. I'm thinking along the lines of when Apple introduced iTunes movie rentals.

In that sense I can imagine that "1080p HD" movies could be such a bigger theme.

Imagine:

- iTunes offering all movies also as 1080p purchase and rental titles.

- and while we're at it, new iPod touch models which can:

. . - get a 'digital copy' of these HD movies to watch on the iPod itself

. . - be used to download 1080p HD movies at Apple stores (for people with slow internet)

. . - directly display these 1080p HD movies on HD TVs via HDMI out

- FinalCut Pro and DVD Studio now supporting Blu-Ray production.

- Blu-Ray drives optional in Mac Pro, 14" iMac and 17" MacBook Pros.

- plus new 30" LED Apple Cinema Display with HDMI, DVI and miniDisplayPort (can be used by 1080p HD content creators, as well as Macs and iPods to view 1080p movies)

- and perhaps new iMacs

Such a 'bombardment' of new items, could quite certainly have Steve himself present it.

But of course it could also be about as of yet unannounced Snow Leopard features. Introduced just days before it starts shipping.

(To get people talking about SL big time just before Windows 7 ships.)

Or it could be about the fabled Apple reader/tablet/MacTouch to be introduced just before the back to school/uni season.

While I'm crossing my fingers on the MacTouch, Apple certainly needs to introduce 1080p movie downloads. The reason for it really though is so they can CATCH UP to the competition....that competition being Microsoft's Xbox and their 1080p movie downloads. You have to admit it....when it comes to the living room the Xbox beats the appletv hands down.

Microsoft totally owned E3 and are rocking with their software and services for the xbox 360. While the AppleTV with its services...well......its not as good as it could be. Oh, and lets not forget Microsoft's NATAL project. Not only will it make the xbox the hottest game system beating the Nintendo WII, but I suspect that they might leverage it to work on the PC platform itself. Wow!

LOL its almost hard to believe it but that is the situtation. Who knew Microsoft had it in them? Jobs CAN'T be satisfied to merely tolerate this. He must have been fuming for months while he was laying in that hospital bed.

Hopefully in August Jobs will be prepared to respond accordingly.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    So isn't it more likely that any August event is about Apple catching up in the home entertainment area, which could very well also include new iPods - rather than an event about the MacTouch?

I'd say it should be obvious that the Apple TV gets an overhaul incorporating iPod parts: basically the current Apple TV plus iPod games. With up to 4 iPod touch/iPhones usable as WiFi-connected remote controls!

Imagine, playing your iPod games on the big screen using your iPod as controller! And play multi-player games with friends - each bringing their own iPod/iPhone as additional controller!

While iPods as controllers wouldn't have analogue sticks, the latest iPod Touch 'S' could certainly have some force feedback (at least the iPhone has) and with its motion sensors plus compass it'd be coming close to a Wii controller.

Add to that 1080p HD movie rentals via iTunes Internet downloads or from the Apple Store via WiFi (with the help of an iPod/iPhone as temporary storage).

Also add a DVD or even Blu-Ray drive and the AppleTV suddenly becomes rather interesting again.

It might even include an iPod dock so you can directly display your movies and photos from the iPod/iPhone on the AppleTV.

I don't know how fast iPod/iPhone WiFi really is, but couldn't these iPod controllers also be used as external CPUs? I.e. all iPod/iPhones present would not only be used as controllers but build an ad-hoc CPU cluster increasing the AppleTV overall performance? The more iPods present, the higher the frame rate!

A pipe dream likely, but would be cool!

I think such an event would warrant a presentation by Steve Jobs, no?

Only thing, though:

New IPods have traditionally been introduced in September.

Why August?!? Can this really be about iPods?

And everyone's on holiday in August. Who would care for a Steve presentation?

Many people / leaked rumors put the Mac Touch further into the future then August 2009. I wouldn't expect it before Q1 2010.

It would be a great surprise if it would arrive that soon. Unless they stripped most features and it's basically just an iPod Touch with double the screen size.

Which would be a bit boring.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

I'd say it should be obvious that the Apple TV gets an overhaul incorporating iPod parts: basically the current Apple TV plus iPod games. With up to 4 iPod touch/iPhones usable as WiFi-connected remote controls!

Imagine, playing your iPod games on the big screen using your iPod as controller! And play multi-player games with friends - each bringing their own iPod/iPhone as additional controller!

While iPods as controllers wouldn't have analogue sticks, the latest iPod Touch 'S' could certainly have some force feedback (at least the iPhone has) and with its motion sensors plus compass it'd be coming close to a Wii controller.

I'd like to see this but I dunno that will happen this year. If it happens then all of Apple's old dead products will have been resurrected:

Cube->Mini

Newton -> iPhone

Pippin->aTV
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

So isn't it more likely that any August event is about Apple catching up in the home entertainment area, which could very well also include new iPods - rather than an event about the MacTouch?

Add to that 1080p HD movie rentals via iTunes Internet downloads or from the Apple Store via WiFi (with the help of an iPod/iPhone as temporary storage).

Also add a DVD or even Blu-Ray drive and the AppleTV suddenly becomes rather interesting again.

It might even include an iPod dock so you can directly display your movies and photos from the iPod/iPhone on the AppleTV.

I don't know how fast iPod/iPhone WiFi really is, but couldn't these iPod controllers also be used as external CPUs? I.e. all iPod/iPhones present would not only be used as controllers but build an ad-hoc CPU cluster increasing the AppleTV overall performance? The more iPods present, the higher the frame rate!

A pipe dream likely, but would be cool!

I think such an event would warrant a presentation by Steve Jobs, no?

Only thing, though:

New IPods have traditionally been introduced in September.

Why August?!? Can this really be about iPods?

And everyone's on holiday in August. Who would care for a Steve presentation?

Many people / leaked rumors put the Mac Touch further into the future then August 2009. I wouldn't expect it before Q1 2010.

It would be a great surprise if it would arrive that soon. Unless they stripped most features and it's basically just an iPod Touch with double the screen size.

Which would be a bit boring.

If you do a quick google search of years past apple fall events you would see the dates vary from August to September.

So this rumor might very well be on the money.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

I'd like to see this but I dunno that will happen this year. If it happens then all of Apple's old dead products will have been resurrected:

Cube->Mini

Newton -> iPhone

Pippin->aTV

Yeah. Come to think of it, the mini, iphone, and appletv seems to be a resurrected cube, newton, and pippin.

Although, I think with the newton that is up for debate I think. But still close enough.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Yeah. Come to think of it, the mini, iphone, and appletv seems to be a resurrected cube, newton, and pippin.

Frankly I don't see it that way. The Mini as a resurrected Cube only comes close, it still has a ways to go though if you want to call it a resurrected Cube. The last update though vastly improved that machine.

The iPhone in my estimation is just to small to be a Newton 2, plus it is short other features. One of those being hand writing recognition. The small screen is a huge issue and is why I'd like to see a Touch type machine with a 5 to 7" screen. A Newton 2 should be able to exploit that screen for video playback. I understand how or why the iPhone is seen as a Newton replacement and frankly the OS and store set up around it is perfect, it's just that the small screen, limited battery life and limited I/O limit iPhone significantly as a Newton 2.

As to Pippin Apple TV has yet to take on that set of features at all. I could see that changing rapidly with a simple change of focus. In the long run it makes a lot of sense to add games to Apple TV.

Quote:

Although, I think with the newton that is up for debate I think. But still close enough.

Actually I see the iPhone as Newton pretty far from a valid analogy. The Mini as a Cube probably makes the most sense out of the three.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Frankly I don't see it that way. The Mini as a resurrected Cube only comes close, it still has a ways to go though if you want to call it a resurrected Cube. The last update though vastly improved that machine.

The iPhone in my estimation is just to small to be a Newton 2, plus it is short other features. One of those being hand writing recognition. The small screen is a huge issue and is why I'd like to see a Touch type machine with a 5 to 7" screen. A Newton 2 should be able to exploit that screen for video playback. I understand how or why the iPhone is seen as a Newton replacement and frankly the OS and store set up around it is perfect, it's just that the small screen, limited battery life and limited I/O limit iPhone significantly as a Newton 2.

As to Pippin Apple TV has yet to take on that set of features at all. I could see that changing rapidly with a simple change of focus. In the long run it makes a lot of sense to add games to Apple TV.

Actually I see the iPhone as Newton pretty far from a valid analogy. The Mini as a Cube probably makes the most sense out of the three.

Dave

Well hopefully the MacTouch will truly be the resurrected newton of the future. It would be nice if the MacTouch debuts this year.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Well hopefully the MacTouch will truly be the resurrected newton of the future. It would be nice if the MacTouch debuts this year.

Not Mac Touch I hope, as I see anything based on the Mac OS thread of development as doomed for failure. The new Touch would need to have an operating system derived from iPhone OS. There is just to much in the way of legacy APIs to go the Mac OS route.

Note; I realize that the underlying code is similar between the two OSs what I want to see is a platform free of all that old code not needed when moving forward. Besides if the new Newton is upwardly compatible with iPhone OS programs right out of the gate we have third party apps ready to go.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 26
    In what ever case the matter is when steve will make make his next big appearance. just lets say if its august like everyone is expecting. I do believe that he will do his usual that is by covering several items like an update on the iphone 3gs to ipods with cameras to the next update in mac os x to mobile me service and then he will say but there is just one more thing and come out with a bang an apple shocker like something to do with mac if its from upgrading the imacs or replacing the mac mini with a mac tablet/ touch screen device. We can only try to think just what he might say or come up with he is very unpredictable when it comes to any apple event.

Whatever he does at his return I'm sure the world will be talking about it
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Not Mac Touch I hope, as I see anything based on the Mac OS thread of development as doomed for failure. The new Touch would need to have an operating system derived from iPhone OS. There is just to much in the way of legacy APIs to go the Mac OS route.

Note; I realize that the underlying code is similar between the two OSs what I want to see is a platform free of all that old code not needed when moving forward. Besides if the new Newton is upwardly compatible with iPhone OS programs right out of the gate we have third party apps ready to go.

Dave

I don't care what its called. I sorta like the name "mactouch" so I'm describing it as such. But if its a good product I wouldn't care if they called it the iToaster.

Oh, and I believe that the device's OS is going to be a hybrid OS using elements from the iphone OS and the mac OS.

Its going to have an interface unlike what we've seen before.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

I don't care what its called. I sorta like the name "mactouch" so I'm describing it as such. But if its a good product I wouldn't care if they called it the iToaster.

Good point as I wouldn't care if it was called MaxiPad if it is the device that is constantly swimming in my imagination. What is apparent is that this project at Apple has apparently been stopped and started several times. I'm not sure if it is an issue of suitable technology or the difficulty of distilling the feature set and functionality down to a salable product.

Quote:

Oh, and I believe that the device's OS is going to be a hybrid OS using elements from the iphone OS and the mac OS.

Its going to have an interface unlike what we've seen before.

This is very likely. We may have seen elements of the interface already though. The reason I don't like the term Mac Touch though is that it biases, in peoples minds, that it is a platform for running Mac software. If the machine is the evolution that we are both hopeing for, then ideally it will break from the past in a big way.

As a historical side note it is COLD here, coldest fourth of July I've ever taken notice of. Now what that has to do with Newton 2 I don't know, but I don't think we need to worry about overheating the device today!!!!!

As a side note Apple needs to become more realistic with respect to the operating thermal envelope of it's products. If you read Apples documents and take them literally you could go outside with the iPods half the time.

Dave
  • Reply 17 of 26
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Well, LR is as "reliable" as MacOSRumors...in other words, BS. They are just rehashing rumors that have been spread out of nowhere by some drug users and wishful dreamers...
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macgenius84 View Post

...... We can only try to think just what he might say or come up with he is very unpredictable when it comes to any apple event.

Whatever he does at his return I'm sure the world will be talking about it

Or Apple could play it safe and just offer up minor Touch updates. I'd also be surprised at an August announcement as I see everything coming together for a big iPod debut. I can see the Touch interface expanding across the iPod product line.

This means an updated Touch with the same form factor. A new classic with a hybrid interface. And a nano with a similar hybrid interface. Maybe even a larger Touch that doesn't fillfull our desires for a Newton 2.

The most interesting machines in my mind is the hybrid machines. I suspect Apple will not want to loose the click wheel interface so that will be incorporated some how. The classics reason for existing will be it's high capacity and bulkier profile for a bigger battery. The Nano is of course the small iPod to which Apple is not likely to do alot. Maybe just add a few thing like a Touch based camera, better iCal integration and such, I can see Nano running apps that need text input though. In either case Touch would supplement the click wheel interface.

An updated Touch is almost a no brainer in that hardware from iPhone gets added. But maybe they will go a step beyound and offer up an even better processor and GPU combo. This to better support gaming and other advanced apps. I'm actually hoping they avoid the camera as that is a good reason to buy a Touch in the first place. The interesting thing here is that Apple seems to have professed a desire to take Touch in a different direction then iPhone which has me wonder what they have in mind. When ever this iPod event hits it will be very interesting to say the least.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 26
    str1f3str1f3 Posts: 573member
    Quote:

While I'm crossing my fingers on the MacTouch, Apple certainly needs to introduce 1080p movie downloads. The reason for it really though is so they can CATCH UP to the competition....that competition being Microsoft's Xbox and their 1080p movie downloads. You have to admit it....when it comes to the living room the Xbox beats the appletv hands down.

Microsoft totally owned E3 and are rocking with their software and services for the xbox 360. While the AppleTV with its services...well......its not as good as it could be. Oh, and lets not forget Microsoft's NATAL project. Not only will it make the xbox the hottest game system beating the Nintendo WII, but I suspect that they might leverage it to work on the PC platform itself. Wow!

LOL its almost hard to believe it but that is the situtation. Who knew Microsoft had it in them? Jobs CAN'T be satisfied to merely tolerate this. He must have been fuming for months while he was laying in that hospital bed.

Hopefully in August Jobs will be prepared to respond accordingly.

1080p is so overrated and yes I've seen it. People act like it's a glaring necessity when most don't even have and many of those that do can't tell the difference anyway. There are many more important things the Apple TV needs like the App Store. For some reason I get the feeling that it will be a gaming machine in the future a la Natal. With all their recent hirings from ATI and acquisition of PA Semi they have the personnel to accomplish this.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

1080p is so overrated and yes I've seen it. People act like it's a glaring necessity when most don't even have and many of those that do can't tell the difference anyway. There are many more important things the Apple TV needs like the App Store. For some reason I get the feeling that it will be a gaming machine in the future a la Natal. With all their recent hirings from ATI and acquisition of PA Semi they have the personnel to accomplish this.

1080p is not overrated. And you can tell the difference.....at least the elite of us can. What is overrated though are the old fashioned thinking blu-ray dvd or hd-dvd players designed to store that media. Downloading movies over the internet will eventually kill the blu-ray. But that's another argument.

As to whether Apple can pull off turning the appletv into a gaming machine well.....I will let the future decide that one.