Java + BreezySwing

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Just started java programming at uni and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to intall the breezyswing class files into OS X. Also can you get JBuilder for free on OS X. I know you can for windows.

Cheers!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by alex_1800:

<strong>Also can you get JBuilder for free on OS X.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Yes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Where?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by alex_1800:

<strong>

Where?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm? It seems that they have removed JBuilder 7.

Perhaps JBuilder 8 will be available soon now that Java 1.4.1 is out.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_1800

Just started java programming at uni and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to intall the breezyswing class files into OS X. Also can you get JBuilder for free on OS X. I know you can for windows.

Cheers!

BreezySwing, eh ? Studying at QUT by any chance ?

You can get BreezySwing into the classpath in OS X by putting it in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Classes

If you are unsure of how you do this, put the BreezySwing classes on your desktop, open Terminal and write the following:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/breezyswing.jar /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Classes/breezyswing.jat

and type in your administrator password when asked. This will allow Java to use the breezyswing package.

If you can't get it to work, drop me an email: [email protected]

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_1800

JAlso can you get JBuilder for free on OS X. I know you can for windows.

Cheers!

By the way, you can use Apples Project Builder to write, compile and run Java apps, if you have installed your developer tools on you mac! It works just as good as JBuilder.

Heck, you can even use the terminal:

javac myfile.java

to compile, and then

java myfile

to run it afterwards.

Again, any problems, drop me an email!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

You can get BreezySwing into the classpath in OS X by putting it in:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Classes

Bad idea.

The general rule with Mac OS X is not to mess about in /System/...

A popular method in the Java world is to add the file's location to the CLASSPATH environment variable, but again this is wrong. If you are doing a lot of development with different projects you will end up with dependencies you are unaware of and a horrendously complicated CLASSPATH.

The best way is to set a classpath for each project using the facilities of your individual build system.

If your compiling on the command line then pass in the classpath to javac (see javac's documentation for details) and use command history in Terminal to save typing it all the time.

If your using an IDE then there will be a program specific way to specify where your class files can be found, again check the documentation, it's not an unusual request.

I like using ant (ant.apache.org) to keep it all in order but that's probably a touch heavy for a beginner to pick up on their own and no-one teaches it because effectively all programming courses suck.

Remember that you can specify just the containing folders of *.class files but need to name each *.jar file individually.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

By the way, you can use Apples Project Builder to write, compile and run Java apps, if you have installed your developer tools on you mac! It works just as good as JBuilder.

I take it you never really used JBuilder. Sure, Project Builder works okay, but it can't even begin to touch JBuilder as far as Java-specific features and tools are concerned.

alex_1800:

Go to Borland.com and look around. JBuilder 7 Personal Edition is the latest version available for Mac OS X. I think you'll also have to fill out some long form to download it, but it *is* free.

edit: actually, I just checked and it would seem that JB7 has been removed from the download area. Well, that's probably for the best since it didn't play well with OSX's Java 1.4.1 implementation. With 1.4.1 installed, you have to do some tinkering with the terminal just to get it to launch. Hopefully this means an update or even JB8 is on the way.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    If you don't need a GUI editor, but a powerful java IDE, you might want to look into eclipse.