Intuit says new Quicken for Mac delayed to 2010

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Looking to quash rumors that it will may never get around to releasing a once publicized overhaul to Quicken for the Mac, Intuit announced Thursday that the latest iteration of its financial management software will finally arrive in February of 2010.

The announcement came on the official Quicken blog from Scott Gulbransen, senior manager of public relations/communications with Intuit's Consumer Division. Gulbransen even acknowledged in his post that it was reasonable for consumers and pundits alike to wonder about the new Quicken for Mac, considering it was first announced in early 2008 for release that same year.

?But after speaking to customers at Macworld 2009, and opening our public beta of Quicken Financial Life for Mac to thousands of you,? he wrote, ?we learned the product was not doing what we ? nor customers ? wanted it to do. We listened, and we learned.?

In 2008, Intuit said it would rebrand Quicken as "Quicken Financial Life for Mac.? At the time, it was being re-written from the ground up as a Universal application that better utilizes modern-day Mac OS X technologies like CoreData and Cover Flow.

In Thursday?s blog post, Gulbransen explained that Intuit has, in the interim, continued to tweak the new Quicken for Mac.

?We went back to the drawing board and are making changes to everything from what the program does to how it looks,? he wrote. ?We spent extra time building a reconcile mode for the new register, a robust Windows-to-Mac transfer function for new Mac users (and existing customers running Quicken on a Windows virtual machine), and redesigned the experience to make it look and feel like a native Mac application should.?

Preorders for the new product will be available at quicken.com beginning on Oct. 12.

When it was first shown at the Macworld Expo in January of 2008, Quicken Financial Life for Mac was pitched as a major overhaul to the financial management software. Intuit said it aimed to reduce the clutter and confusion associated with existing versions of Quicken for Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    Looking pretty good from those screenshots. I'd say this is definitely a good thing, given how painful the current Quicken software is to use. And I'm glad to see a Mac-centric interest from a company like this, instead of the once typical 'port it and get on with it' approach.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Intuit's support for the Mac has always been pitiful, especially considering Bill Campbell being on Apple's board of directors for so many years.

I'll believe it when I see it.
  • Reply 3 of 72
    The only reason I run VMware Fusion is for Quicken for Windows. I had years of Quicken data before I switched, and since the Mac version can't read the windows version, I have to run Fusion to read my old data and for the beneit of using the windows version. The Windows version is fine, too bad they didn't port it to OSX but just wrote a new fairly pitiful app for mac users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Intuit's support for the Mac has always been pitiful, especially considering Bill Campbell being on Apple's board of directors for so many years.

• Reply 4 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I'm not sure I'll ever go back to using Quicken even when they do release it. I don't understand this company at all.

I've seen all the demos and screenshots to date and other than the fact that all the registers are in coverflow view, I don't see what's so different about this software or what's taking so long for it to come out. I don't understand what's even so great about coverflow view in this context or what it adds to the interface. The rest of the "interface" is basically just the list on the sidebar, although knowing Quicken's penchant for multiple toolbars we can probably expect more of that as well.

Intuit's design ethic bears more than a passing resemblance to that of Toast which is notorious for being a very, very simple application made needlessly complex by adding a lot of transitions, "helpful additions," and glitz all for the sake of appearing to be more than it is.

I don't get it, and I'm considering it a fail until I see something that changes my mind.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    dvhdvh Posts: 9member
    Same deal here - About the only reason I have Parallels and Windows XP is to run Quicken. The Mac version is pathetic. If Intuit releases a Mac version that has the feature set of Windows Quicken and works transparently with all banks that support the windows version including "direct connect" - I'm there. If they play the same games as before and banks have to jump through hoops to separately support the Mac version - forget it.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Agreed!

I'm using a version that is five years old on my mac.

Intuit has always treated Mac customers as the poor-red-headed step child.
  • Reply 7 of 72
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    I really don't know if I want to wait for over a year for the next upgrade but what's good that can import my current database without a lot of tweaking?
  • Reply 8 of 72
    code4funcode4fun Posts: 13member
    Can't they change Quicken for the PC to be more portable so that it can run on the Mac? This is the only remaining Windows application that I'm still running. My current workaround is I run Parallels Windows VM so that I can run Quicken.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    chitin5chitin5 Posts: 1member
    Why even bother if the online version will probably be better by then anyways. No need to wait to see if it's any good anyways!
  • Reply 10 of 72
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomkarl View Post

Agreed!

I'm using a version that is five years old on my mac.

Intuit has always treated Mac customers as the poor-red-headed step child.

I'm still using 2005 for my business accounts. It's pretty awful but I'm used to it. (How's that for the perfect description of a bad marriage!)

I can't imagine upgrading unless Inuit completely overhauled the application and the interface. By that I also mean, make it a lot better. Not just different, not just new, better. You hear me, Inuit?

Somehow I doubt it.
  • Reply 11 of 72
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I think 2010 may be rushing things. Intuit should just take the time to get everything perfect, and then around 2015 or so they can release a really good Mac app that matches all the functionality of Quicken/Windows New User 2005 Edition.

And set the price at a reasonable 1.5x of the Windows version. And still charge banks extra to support those complicated Mac customers. And then never update it again for a few decades.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    teonycteonyc Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Looking pretty good from those screenshots. I'd say this is definitely a good thing, given how painful the current Quicken software is to use. And I'm glad to see a Mac-centric interest from a company like this, instead of the once typical 'port it and get on with it' approach.

Ha, Ha... you maid a funny!
  • Reply 13 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quicken is an old, dated, obsolete Window app.
  • Reply 14 of 72
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    the earliest transaction i have in my 'quicken for the mac' checking account register is 10/24/91. yeah, i've been using quicken on the mac that long. it has always seemed to me that they've treated the mac version as something they had to do rather than something they wanted to do, and that's been reflected in the quality. over the years i've only purchased updates when absolutely necessary. my needs are very utilitarian and that's probably a good thing, because not much significant has changed over the years. i'm gonna be hard pressed to pony up cash for the new version (if it ever arrives).

what are other folks using on the mac in lieu of quicken?
  • Reply 15 of 72
    kbromankbroman Posts: 1member
    I've been using the nasty Quicken for Mac for several years, but finally gave up on it (yesterday!) and switched to Moneydance. (I also tried iBank, but I didn't like it, principally because its fancy graphics seemed to take forever, and the program crashed a couple of times, which I take as a bad sign.)

I've never done anything particularly fancy with Quicken, and so Moneydance seems to fit my needs.

The conversion of my data file (which goes back 10 years) was easy. (Export to .qif in quicken, then import in Moneydance.) I lost my many scheduled transactions, but it didn't take long to re-enter them, and everything else is clearly correct.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    erpxerpx Posts: 24member
    Intuit has lost a customer that was a longtime faithful with this product. It is beyond pathetic that they can't get the right development team in place to make the application carry identical features of its Windows counterpart. I've moved to the online world of Mint.com and online banking services of Wells and BOA.

They can't even give me a free version of Quicken at this point I'm so disappointed with the product and disrespect for Mac customers.
  • Reply 17 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ralphdaily View Post

The only reason I run VMware Fusion is for Quicken for Windows. I had years of Quicken data before I switched, and since the Mac version can't read the windows version, I have to run Fusion to read my old data and for the beneit of using the windows version. The Windows version is fine, too bad they didn't port it to OSX but just wrote a new fairly pitiful app for mac users.

Wow, great solution -- I have looked at iBank and others -- never considered using the Windows version in Parallels!

Can you tell me more about what features the Windows version offers that the Mac version does not?
  • Reply 18 of 72
    still not QuickBooks for Mac outside USA. Only reason I need to have Windows in my business.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    xwiredtvaxwiredtva Posts: 389member
    Intuit Mac support as a HOLE is a HOLE.

Sh*t or get off the pot.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    jack macjack mac Posts: 92member
    I'd like to ride the train out of Intuit-town and would be pleased to know of any competitive software that can port all the data and give me 75% of the Quicken capabilities.

I don't need a perfect software, just a reason to turn off the lights!