Apple unleashes new Leopard, Snow Leopard betas

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this weekend followed the release of its latest Snow Leopard beta with new pre-releases of both Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard and Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server.

Mac OS X 10.5.8 build 9L25

Since opening the Mac OS X 10.5.8 beta test to developers approximately one month ago, Apple has shown signs that the release may cap off development of Mac OS X 10.5.

For example, each new build has arrived with a focus area noticeably distinct from the last, with lower-level technologies and frameworks seeing greater attention than usual. As such, it's been speculated that the Mac maker may be giving its Leopard OS a final once-over.

This trend appears to have culminated with this past weekend's release of build 9L25, which no longer asks that developers focus their attention on a small subset of Leopard's components. Instead, it groups together the more than three dozen components that had been isolated into smaller focus groups in earlier betas.

The latest build also lists no known issues and addresses just two new bugs, one related to saving mail messages as individual message documents and another to URL localization.

Mac OS X 10.6 Server build 10A403

Separately, developers this weekend were also treated to a new build of Mac OS X 10.6 Server, labeled build 10A403. With it, Apple asked that they test upgrade installs of the server software itself, in addition to upgrade installs of Calendar server.

Developers were also reportedly asked to spend some time with the system's new Podcast Producer, evaluating as many third-party video and web cams as they possibly can. Included with the software is a new Web Podcast Capture which leverages a new Dual Source Video Capture feature for allowing users to create picture-in-picture format podcasts.

Mac OS X 10.6 build 10A402a

Mac OS X 10.6 Server build 10A403 arrived on the heels of Mac OS X 10.6 Client build 10A402a earlier in the week. That build introduced some widely-reported interface tweaks to the Dock's pop-up menus and Expose.

One AppleInsider reader has published a few more screenshots of these interface changes to his blog, including the Dock's new menus, Exposé's new grid view, and changes to the Dock's grid view scroll bars.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Can't wait for the new Stacks, personally I like white on black, then again I am the person who has green on black in the terminal.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I wish Apple offered a public beta like Microsoft, it would cut down the bugs on release date, I love leopard but it took a couple of updates before it ran stable for me.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    It looks like I should start saving up the $29.95...

Obviously MORE than worth it but I really can't believe they took this long to rewrite the Finder, I mean, anything to save me from beach balls
  • Reply 4 of 76
    jarmanjarman Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I wish Apple offered a public beta like Microsoft, it would cut down the bugs on release date, I love leopard but it took a couple of updates before it ran stable for me.

What kind of issues did you struggle with?
  • Reply 5 of 76
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    Quote:

It would be interesting to know what the 'testing' process was really like at Apple. I would imagine if they made a 100 internal employees make the Beta's their primary OS, the bugs would surface quite rapidly, add the external Developers and you've got your basis covered however ... especially since the hardware is limited to Intel Macintoshes with millions? of less configurations than windows.

Has this been detailed anywhere before?

I can't imagine the amount of useless public feedback that COULD happen and not be that useful.

i.e. It crashed. What were you doing at the time? I clicked on the thingy...

Of course, it would uncover higher level trends like problems with printing, etc.
  • Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:

It doesn't really make sense to have the public test the OS, it's just not necessary. Up until this version, 3rd party preference panes didn't work. Apple releases with intentions of a gradual build of features, but more importantly, to allow developers to make their apps OS-ready. In order for Snow Leopard to truly be useful (especially with Grand Central and OpenCL) devs really gotta build SL-compatible apps.

If worse comes to worse, there are ways to get the OS and it's not hard to install. It's just really not worth it...
  • Reply 7 of 76
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

As a developer, releasing a public beta doesn't cut down the bugs, it more creates 'graphic' critics, who in most cases know little about typography, layout design, functionality or common sense.

And your 'Microsoft' analogy is ludicrous. Never has a company released more buggy software. And will never be able to do otherwise because of the nature of their beasts and the massive menagerie they are played on.

If anything, Apple seems to follow 'Brook's Law' vs Microsoft's 'Wisdom of the Crowd' mentality. As the adage goes, the more choices one has, the longer it takes to make a decision. Thank goodness Steve is not into crowds or we would still be waiting for the mouse.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    You have to wonder though if Snow Leopard itself is getting ready to be more touch screen compatible. When you look at how things appear when you click on an icon in the dock, you get the same shaped bubble as you would for the iPhone OS when you do a copy and paste. I get the feeling that there may not really be a separate OS when they release a touch tablet. It will have been refined into Snow Leopard. Just look at the controls for Time Machine in system Prefs. It's totally setup like the prefs in the iPhone OS. Why else would they do that? It doesn't look like any other of the pref controls in system prefs. I think they are testing the waters. I really think that the current OS would be fine for touch with just some minor refinements like they are doing with the dock and Time Machine system prefs.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

It looks like I should start saving up the $29.95...

Obviously MORE than worth it but I really can't believe they took this long to rewrite the Finder, I mean, anything to save me from beach balls

Where have you been?

As for you 'beach balls' maybe this will help: "\t

The Spinning Beach Ball of Death," http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sbbod.html

At least you may get a better understanding of how, why and what you can do about it.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    I agree with Abster2core, many developers talk about how a "public beta" is just an excuse and gimmick used by companies to get the product out there. I feel Microsoft is using the public beta to increase the amount of users upgrading from Vista. They are really trying to change their image, so it's in their advantage.

As for Apple, they can do the opposite: build anticipation for an unreleased product by just letting developers and hackers promote their product with leaks. Either way, the adoption rate for Snow Leopard is going to be huge, plus every new user that buys a back this holiday season will get Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Personally I like hearing that the SL releases are in the state they are. Nothing would be better than to know that SL is now completely in bug fix mode with strong quality control efforts. The reason is clear 10.5 was far buggier than it should have been and took far to long to get things like networking ironed out.

In a nut shell it better be more stable as that was one of Apples stated goals with this release.

Frankly though I can't wait. I'm really hoping that this extends the life of my MBP a year or two and solves some of the performance issues. Of course some of this is in the applications but I'm hoping they are being addressed too.

Dave
  • Reply 12 of 76
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevc View Post

It would be interesting to know what the 'testing' process was really like at Apple. I would imagine if they made a 100 internal employees make the Beta's their primary OS, the bugs would surface quite rapidly, add the external Developers and you've got your basis covered however ... especially since the hardware is limited to Intel Macintoshes with millions? of less configurations than windows.

Has this been detailed anywhere before?

I can't imagine the amount of useless public feedback that COULD happen and not be that useful.

i.e. It crashed. What were you doing at the time? I clicked on the thingy...

Of course, it would uncover higher level trends like problems with printing, etc.

Pc's and macs have the same potential configs these days. Almost everything is on the motherboard and not like the old days. Apple is even like Dell and HP in that they switch hardware everytime they argue with a supplier
  • Reply 13 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

You think that MS's releases are more stable, with less problems?

I remember when XP first came out. MS was asked how many known bugs were in the official release, and the answer was "about 68,000."

Remember all the problems with Vista?

A public beta program doesn't seem to be of much help in getting stable, bug-free releases.

Of course, Windows could have been even worse without it, but that doesn't even bear thinking about.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Widespread betas are more important for Microsoft due to the variety of hardware they have to support. Not so much for Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    agaaga Posts: 42member
    Quote:

What  Apple should do is sell a public beta for $29,

giving you the sole right to giving preliminary feedback.

NDA still in effect.

When the GM comes out, full price for you.

New revenue stream.

New bleeding heart fans coughing up cold cash.

New group of individuals to sue.

New way to compete with google... beta everything .
  • Reply 16 of 76
    seanie248seanie248 Posts: 180member
    Quote:

Public Betas reduce the WOW factor and the 'newness' of the release.

This is what Apple excel at.

Also, public betas mean people experience buggy trials and so get put off what could be fabulous product at final release. Definitely not a way to go if you are running a business. As Microsoft are finding out !!

also :

"Apple has shown signs that the release may cap off development of Mac OS X 10.5."

Dont AI reporters put this line in at nearly every point release, or do i imagine it??
  • Reply 17 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

I feel Microsoft is using the public beta to increase the amount of users upgrading from Vista. They are really trying to change their image, so it's in their advantage.

That is exactly what MS is doing.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanie248 View Post

Public Betas reduce the WOW factor and the 'newness' of the release.

+1

I don't attempt to bootleg any OS X version because I like to just install it and see all the features first hand. The wait is hard but in the end it's worth it. I think before I upgrade to SL I'm doing a new CPU and HDD upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

... but more importantly, to allow developers to make their apps OS-ready. In order for Snow Leopard to truly be useful (especially with Grand Central and OpenCL) devs really gotta build SL-compatible apps.

Are you kidding me? I'm sure HandBrake, Limewire and Audio Hijack will be completely SL compatible on release day but it will probably be a year or more for Adobe, Quark, and Microsoft to get around to it.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As for you 'beach balls' maybe this will help: "

That certainly takes care of .0001% of them.