Recent Switcher - Lost & Finder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
20" iMac here, running the latest Leopard. While it used to, my USB drive no longer shows up in the Finder window no matter where I plug it in (USB hub, back of monitor or back of keyboard). It always comes up on the Desktop though. What can I do to get it to show up in Finder again?

Probably something simple that I'm missing. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    The Desktop is the Finder... where else within the Finder specifically is it not showing up? The Sidebar in Finder windows perhaps?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    in the menu go to Finder>Preferences and check the USB drive.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

in the menu go to Finder>Preferences and check the USB drive.

Thanks for the tips. In the preferences window for the Finder window, for some reason, the checkbox for "Hard Disks" had only a "dash" through it and not a "check mark." Now it's reset and everything is working fine. Thanks so much!
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The Desktop is the Finder...

Not true. The Desktop is a special directory (or folder) that controls the display background. It is located at the root level of your Home directory. The Finder is a file browser. It is not a directory, it is an application. Each Finder window is a view of one of your directories (or folders). The Desktop may be opened in a Finder window just like any other folder.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Diggertoo View Post

Thanks for the tips. In the preferences window for the Finder window, for some reason, the checkbox for "Hard Disks" had only a "dash" through it and not a "check mark." Now it's reset and everything is working fine. Thanks so much!

The dash means "everything but" in this instance. If you drag a connected drive out of the Finder's sidebar it remembers this between connections of the drive. The second you do this to one drive that check mark becomes a dash to show that it's not completely true.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Not true. The Desktop is a special directory (or folder) that controls the display background. It is located at the root level of your Home directory. The Finder is a file browser. It is not a directory, it is an application. Each Finder window is a view of one of your directories (or folders). The Desktop may be opened in a Finder window just like any other folder.

Technically true, but not a useful answer to the question. I tell novice users who are trying to figure out the Finder that clicking on the Desktop makes the Finder the active application. Which is both true and useful.

Anyway, someone else give the OP the answer they needed. Thanks.