Finder in 10.7

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Now that the Finder is fully Cocoa, it should presumably improve at a faster clip now that it has ditched its Carbon baggage.

This means that the Finder can be totally integrated into OS X and leverage the full extent of its featues and frameworks.

So what would you like to see in the Finder in 10.7?

1) Split view/tabs to more easily move files from one folder to another.

2) Ability to type in the full path of the directory in a text field like the URL address bar.

3) More reliable FTP/SFTP/network access.

4) Browser-style bookmarks for directories and files

5) Further to 2) and 4), ability to quickview a document by typing/pasting full path to file or accessing a bookmark, like in a browser.

The Finder has so much potential, having been held back for whatever reason.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Finder Goodness.

In no particular order.

1. Split View

2. Tagging (maybe offering a tag cloud UI)

3. Performance

4. Dropbox like iDisk technology
  • Reply 2 of 12
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Finder Goodness.

In no particular order.

1. Split View [Something I loathe in KDE Dolphin or KDE Konqueror]

2. Tagging (maybe offering a tag cloud UI)

3. Performance

4. Dropbox like iDisk technology

1. Open a second Finder view, drag n' drop.

2. Write it yourself.

3. expected with every advance of any OS.

4. Only if you subscribe to iDisk--revenue driving not freebies for everyone.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    Does Apple provide the APIs for integrating something that mimics iDisk integration.

What is a tag cloud UI? You can tag objects using the object inspector by entering spotlight metadata.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post

Does Apple provide the APIs for integrating something that mimics iDisk integration.

What is a tag cloud UI? You can tag objects using the object inspector by entering spotlight metadata.

I'm talking about a Tag cloud UI that shows the most popular tags in a informative way. I'm picturing like a HUD panel with something superior to the "most popular tags are in a larger or bold font" method that I see today. Im not sure if you're talking about Spotlight Comments but they are flaky and developers are moving away from them.

I figure Apple will be adding systemwide tagging by 10.8 and likely by 10.7. IMO it makes sense to move away from our reliance on folder paradigms and more into a hybrid folder and tagging method since tagging it makes it easier to manage data that needs to be in multiple places.

mdriftmeyer brings up a good point thought it needs to be fleshed out further. If Apple doesn't want to add split finder views how about offering a button that automatically opens a second window and "locks" the two windows together. Thus when you need to do a lot of file swapping you have two independent windows but they move, resize and drag together. Problem solved.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    I doubt any of this will ever be added because Apple prefers simplicity and form over function. The Finder has sucked for the past nine years and will continue to suck because Apple is afraid to make it robust, fearing it will grow ugly and too complex.

I wish it could merely be uninstalled like all other Mac OS X applications and completely replaced with Path Finder or ForkLift.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I'm sure they'll add tagging. It's the next evolutionary step to incorporating xattr (extended attributes) for Spotlight searching.

I'm not sure how many rank and file mac users need FTP features or even split view but the folder paradigm is a carry over from the physical world. Computers really need to go beyond mirroring physical paradigms.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I really like to be able to browse, as well as add/remove files from, compressed archives without expanding them. In other words, archives behave as folders. I remember functionality like this in Gnome back in 1998-2000.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

I doubt any of this will ever be added because Apple prefers simplicity and form over function. The Finder has sucked for the past nine years and will continue to suck because Apple is afraid to make it robust, fearing it will grow ugly and too complex.

I wish it could merely be uninstalled like all other Mac OS X applications and completely replaced with Path Finder or ForkLift.

ForkLift looks too good to be true ? can you recommend it?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

ForkLift looks too good to be true ? can you recommend it?

I've only used say a tenth of Forklift's capability but I tell you it's pretty stable and full featured. I just bought Pathfinder this weekend for 40 % at MacZot so I'll be testing both to see where and how I like to use them.

I think they're a little complex for the typical computer user that simply wants fast yet simple access to their folder structure and data.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I can see how Path Finder and ForkLift seem appealing at first glance. They offer quick and convenient methods to organizing your files.

The only major feature these offer that I have not found a satisfactory built in method, work around, or freeware for was folder syncing. So I bought Chronosync.

File and folder organization is dead. I mean sure, Apple could borrow a few of the features these tools provide for convenience but as hmurch said, Apple's focus has been on simplicity and probably more importantly Spotlight! The amount of data you store is growing exponentially and keeping files inside folders and folders nested inside other folders is an archaic method of organization in todays world. Search has changed the way people organize files. Learn to use the "Tetrad of Organization" Spotlight, Smart Folders, Labels, and Quicklook. A proper implementation of these tools almost completely remove the need for organization of files. Put your crap anywhere and just use these tools to quickly and effectively retrieve what you're looking for. The toughest part will be overcoming the psychological aspect of not seeing files neatly organized in folders
  • Reply 11 of 12
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

I can see how Path Finder and ForkLift seem appealing at first glance. They offer quick and convenient methods to organizing your files.

The only major feature these offer that I have not found a satisfactory built in method, work around, or freeware for was folder syncing. So I bought Chronosync.

File and folder organization is dead. I mean sure, Apple could borrow a few of the features these tools provide for convenience but as hmurch said, Apple's focus has been on simplicity and probably more importantly Spotlight! The amount of data you store is growing exponentially and keeping files inside folders and folders nested inside other folders is an archaic method of organization in todays world. Search has changed the way people organize files. Learn to use the "Tetrad of Organization" Spotlight, Smart Folders, Labels, and Quicklook. A proper implementation of these tools almost completely remove the need for organization of files. Put your crap anywhere and just use these tools to quickly and effectively retrieve what you're looking for. The toughest part will be overcoming the psychological aspect of not seeing files neatly organized in folders

If only Spotlight worked.

It never finds anything on my drives... and yes, I have tried reindexing the drives in question. Many times!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    javacowboyjavacowboy Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

If only Spotlight worked.

It never finds anything on my drives... and yes, I have tried reindexing the drives in question. Many times!

It works, but I still find it kind of slow at times. I also get the occasional hickup where it doesn't find what I'm looking for. One example is when I tried to launch Firefox from Spotlight.

It'll be tricky for Apple to replace the Finder because it's the app that launches by default and is always running (you can't quit it, only close the Windows). Also, Spotlight would have to be ultra-optimized in order for it to be the default file-browsing mechanism, since it just doesn't have nearly the same kind of responsiveness as opening a fresh Finder window.