Kabul falls to the Northern Alliance

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/13/gen.war.against.terror/index.html"; target="_blank">http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/13/gen.war.against.terror/index.html</a>;

Unbelievable. The Taliban abandoned the Capitol without firing a shot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    I find it very unbelievable that after weeks and weeks of bombing this is the only result... Kabul falls to the Northern Alliance.

Your man Bush doesn't even want the Northern Alliance to take over Kabul...what the hell are they thinking in the US??? This is what the northern alliance has been trying for the last 6 years....

I find it unbelievable how the US approches this war... and yes I absolutly agree that terrorists should be "punished" but not in the way it is currently done

What the US should change is their policy towards other countries/ religions...

They should concentrate more on the social things instead of showing how great the US is..

And no I don't hate America.. but it's one of the few countries I wouldn't want to live in..
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Getting Afghanistan under leadership that serves the people and works with the international community will a true test of US power. Obviously, there are a few countries that can blow the hell out of someone else; the next phase, on the other hand, requires efficiency, co-operation and justice, under pressure -- qualities of a select few, it seems.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    <a href="http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/?id=95001462"; target="_blank">Mandela to Bush: Stay the Course</a>

Appearing at the White House with President Bush yesterday, Nelson Mandela, South Africa's first democratically elected president, offered strong support for America's war effort:

"One of the reasons for coming here is to be able to express my support for the president for his action in Afghanistan. The United States of America lost 5,000 people, innocent people, and it is quite correct for the president to ensure that the terrorists, those masterminds, as well as those who have executed the action and survived, are to be punished heavily.

And it would be disastrous if the president gave in to the call that the army must now withdraw, before he has actually flushed out the terrorists. That would be disaster. They will claim that they have defeated the United States of America, and they will continue doing the same thing. So I support him to continue until those terrorists have been tracked down."
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]Originally posted by sapi:

<strong>I find it very unbelievable that after weeks and weeks of bombing this is the only result... Kabul falls to the Northern Alliance.

Your man Bush doesn't even want the Northern Alliance to take over Kabul...what the hell are they thinking in the US??? This is what the northern alliance has been trying for the last 6 years....

I find it unbelievable how the US approches this war... and yes I absolutly agree that terrorists should be "punished" but not in the way it is currently done

What the US should change is their policy towards other countries/ religions...

They should concentrate more on the social things instead of showing how great the US is..

And no I don't hate America.. but it's one of the few countries I wouldn't want to live in..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank God you're not in charge. The Afghans seem to be very happy with the current situation. The NA seems to be committed to a broad based government. The UN just needs to act fast (fat chance) to bring some impartial security to Kabul soon. Word is the Frogs are going to send in some "security forces" to move aid in which is now coming in at 4X the rate it was before. Uzbekistan could open up the bridge in the north and move aid in that way. Bus loads of people are moving back into Kabul. Once they wipe out the rest of the Taliban and get bin Laden (hope he doesn't sneek out) it will be a win all around and the best hope for peace these people have had in a lifetime.

We can talk about US policy AFTER the "war" is over. But if you think bin Laden and others like him are motivated by the political situation in Israel then you a damn fool. If you think Arafat wants peace then you're a damn fool. If you think the arab countries want peace the you are a damn fool.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Some more insight into the Talibans thinking.

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1657000/1657368.stm"; target="_blank">BBC interviews Mullah Omar.</a>

A tidbit:

[quote] BBC: What do you mean by the destruction of America? Do you have a concrete plan to implement this?

MO: The plan is going ahead and, God willing, it is being implemented.

But it is a huge task, which is beyond the will and comprehension of human beings.

If God's help is with us, this will happen within a short period of time; keep in mind this prediction.<hr></blockquote>

I say, Fight the good fight Bush. They want our destruction, so for us to survive they cannot.

• Reply 6 of 7
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Sorry Scott, could you be a bit more precise about who you're talking about when you say "the frogs?"

• Reply 7 of 7
    [quote]But if you think bin Laden and others like him are motivated by the political situation in Israel then you a damn fool. If you think Arafat wants peace then you're a damn fool. If you think the arab countries want peace the you are a damn fool.<hr></blockquote>

Well, I sure don't want to be a damn fool! :eek: