..:The AI Electronica Thread:..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seeing as we have a few, at least, fans of this great sort of music here... post your recommendations of tracks, records... whatever.. here!

I'll start. I'm currently lovin' the new Deep Dish Global Underground discs... just fantastic- really takes you on a journey - starts nice and mellow, gets very bangin', tribally progressive at the end... yummy... plus, I met Ali and Sharam the other night @ the release party. Gotta throw some DC lovin' their way- very cool guys. Plus, they use macs and were in the commercial- their studio has some Quicksilver and Cinema Display action, and the Yoshitoshi (their record label) shop has lime green iMacs as POS terminals.

Also lovin' me the new Paul van Dyk - The Politics of Dancing. Totally different, more trancey, but equally entertaining... the PvD is, however, much more frenetic and germanic... which is good, sometimes

On the downtempo side of things, always gotta represent my other DC brothers, Thievery Corporation and Thunderball, the kings of the sultry, 60's-ish lounge genre. SEXXAH!

So... what do you like?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    PvD has a new disk?? is it a single or an actual album??? and is it only import?

sounds great dude, gonna start hunting that one down

but PvD is simply awesome...love all his stuff...and since he himself makes all of it, he gets all the respect he deserves

also, Chicane is incredible...it can be a lil slow at times...but great fer chilling...like BT, good fer stirring up emotions. only one of his disks is still in production here in the states, but i managed to find the other, no longer released album--got lucky...after searching all over, i found it in a small shop right here on campus :-D

well worth paying full price fer it

oh, HUGE recommendation of Hybrid, if u dont know em already...although if u know this music at all, ul know who hybrid is.

i missed my opportunity to see em while in houston this past weekend (was busy wrecking my car instead :-( )

anyway, keep em coming...ill look through my shit fer more
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Hey Alliance. Are you also an aggie? whoop! I also regret not going to Houston to see Hybrid. They were who really got me into techno. Wide Angle is one of my favorite albums ever (of *any* genre). I'll second your recommendation of Chicane. "No Ordinary Morning" is probably the saddest song I have ever heard. Absolutely beautiful.

As for PvD goes, I just recently dug up one of his old disks, Vorsprung Dyk Technik. It's chill, but still interesting, in the same way Hybrid is.

More chill but interesting trance would be Renaissance Awakening and Renaissance Desire by Dave Seaman. I swear I thought that if I heard "Dreaming" (by BT) one more time I'ld go insane, but he has it mixed so beautifully and creatively that it was all good

Haven't really had a chance to get much new stuff lately, especially with SatelliteX in a perfetual state of FUBAR.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Solishu:

<strong>Hey Alliance. Are you also an aggie? whoop! I also regret not going to Houston to see Hybrid. They were who really got me into techno. Wide Angle is one of my favorite albums ever (of *any* genre). I'll second your recommendation of Chicane. "No Ordinary Morning" is probably the saddest song I have ever heard. Absolutely beautiful.

As for PvD goes, I just recently dug up one of his old disks, Vorsprung Dyk Technik. It's chill, but still interesting, in the same way Hybrid is.

More chill but interesting trance would be Renaissance Awakening and Renaissance Desire by Dave Seaman. I swear I thought that if I heard "Dreaming" (by BT) one more time I'ld go insane, but he has it mixed so beautifully and creatively that it was all good

Haven't really had a chance to get much new stuff lately, especially with SatelliteX in a perfetual state of FUBAR.</strong><hr></blockquote>

haha yep

proud member of the Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 04

WHOOP!

yeah, ive been tryin to convince this dude to give me an account on that carracho servor jonathan recommended....they have so much shit over ther...i hardly have anything they dont have, so theyre bitching about letting me join cause i got nothin to offer ;-)

yeah, dave seamans got some great shit, but i only have renaissance america right now...which is a great cd...but gotta get the others
  • Reply 4 of 21
    You dare whoop before a proud member of the Fighting Aggie Class of '03? Push, piss-head!

You ever go to Tonix? Late nights Thursday, Friday and Sat DJ Storm and Bryan Hardin spin some really cool stuff. Sometimes hard hard house (almost gabber one night), sometimes old school stuff, sometimes just weird
  • Reply 5 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Solishu:

<strong>You dare whoop before a proud member of the Fighting Aggie Class of '03? Push, piss-head!

You ever go to Tonix? Late nights Thursday, Friday and Sat DJ Storm and Bryan Hardin spin some really cool stuff. Sometimes hard hard house (almost gabber one night), sometimes old school stuff, sometimes just weird </strong><hr></blockquote>

hahahahha

i dared

u can make me push if u like...but how will u enforce it?? ;-)

dont worry...ive done more than my share of pushing...................

no, havent made it out to tonix yet...gotta try it though

lookin forward to it
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Getting back to the topic...

My favorite track is "Astral Pancakes" by Hallucinogen. It's on the "Twisted" album, and it's the song that first got me into electronica/techno.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    <a href="http://ishkur.com/features/music/index.htm"; target="_blank">http://ishkur.com/features/music/index.htm</a>;

EVERYONE with the vaguest interest should check that site out.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    In general right now I like breaks,as far as DJs go my current favorites are RobCee, MarkEStyles,Ty T,Switchstance and Jen Lasher.Anyone who lives in the DC/Eastern Shore area should recognize those names.I'm listenening to a Switchstance tape as I type this.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick1138:

<strong>.I'm listenening to a Switchstance tape as I type this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what's a tape? and how do you listen to tape?

anyhow, yea... Thievery, Nicola Conte, DJ Krush, Kruder Dorfmeister, Tosca... I'm a bit of a downtown kinda guy..

anyone want a breakbeat remix of 'The Girl from Ipanema' by Stan Getz?? wOOt ... by dj Z-Trip.. he's wicked.. and the track is hot..

IM me or say so in the thread.. I'll post online, or file transfer on IM
  • Reply 10 of 21
    A tape as in cassette tape,yes believe it or not,Electronica is actually distributed in tape form sometimes.Also,The Girl From Ipanema was written by Antonio Carlos Jobim,Norman Gimbel and Vinicius de Moraes,not Stan Getz.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by nonhuman:

<strong>Getting back to the topic...

My favorite track is "Astral Pancakes" by Hallucinogen. It's on the "Twisted" album, and it's the song that first got me into electronica/techno.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Great song! Hallucinogen rocks. This morning I popped in an Orb cd on my way to work. Even though I have a bunch of ambient cds (my fav genre of electronica) I listen to streaming net radio on my Mac usually. Check out mpegradio.com (ambient channel) or GrooveSalad channel at somafm.com. Very good stations. It's nice to have mix and I find out about a lot of cool bands this way. Like FM radio used to be
  • Reply 12 of 21
    I can't believe this thread is 12 posts in and there's still no mention of Underworld. They rule. There. I did it. Check out their live CD Everything, Everything.

Underworld has a bit harder edge than any of the other artists mentioned here I would venture (Hallucinogen is just very whacked ).

Solishu is very right about Dave Seaman. Check out his work as well. Solishu, which of his albums is your favorite? I like Desire followed by Cape Town.

Another "group" (I can never figure out what to call them) that is often overlooked is Rabbit in the Moon. They have a lot of stuff on compilation CDs, but no one seems to mention their own albums. They're not as big time as BT or Underworld, and when you listen you'll know why. But for a no name group, they certainly have a very distinct and original sound unlike many other unheard-ofs.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    All I've got by Seaman, Ark, is Desire and Awakening, and out of the two I think I like awakening better. Part of it could be that it has more tracks that I recognize, as both albums are technically flawless (IMHO). Awakening seems to be just a notch more upbeat also.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Solishu ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 21
    dvddvd Posts: 45member
    OH man PVD IS GOD!!!! haha i acually bought the Polictics of Dancing stickers like 3 in one little pack for 5 bucks!! hehe I also have his autograph !! weee and a vandit shirt!!. Armin van buuren is coming up , this guy got skills!!

• Reply 15 of 21
    these are some of my favourite "electronica"-albums:

download - III

download - effector

platEAU - spacecake

der dritte raum - raumgleiter

the crystal method - vegas
  • Reply 16 of 21
    My favs at the moment:

Svenson & gielen - Twisted

PPK - Resurection

DJ Tiesto - Suburban train

Obscura - Out of grace

I'm trance-addicted btw..
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I'll second zoidberg's praise of Vegas. That album is great. Can't say I've heard of the others though.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    just picked up talvin singh's back to mine.

great series, be warned, this one's substantially trippier than the others.

best served with a few hits from a houkah.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    just got juno reactors Bible of Dreams

and must say it kiks royal ass

very good beats

good all around music

they mix it up nicely, not too repetitive
  • Reply 20 of 21
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong><a href="http://ishkur.com/features/music/index.htm"; target="_blank">http://ishkur.com/features/music/index.htm</a>;

EVERYONE with the vaguest interest should check that site out.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks Jonathan!

Fan-foogoo-tastic!

I only just discovered this thread today. I then followed your link and it was perfect for me, since I'd been hanging to learn lots more about electronic music. I like the squarepusher stuff when I hear it - but I don't have any of his CDs.