Revised Macbook Air- hinge problem?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am thinking about a Macbook air- can someone comment on the hinge problems the first model was experiencing? I am curious if there was something fixed in hardware in the new revision...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I got a Rev A last year almost immediately after they were available. Knock on wood, I haven't had the hinge problem some have had. (I did have two machines replaced within the first month, one for a fan issue and one with a tilted screen). My current machine has worked well for over a year and just today was updated to a new 2.13 SSD model, which has a very similar hinge (seems to angle backwards a little further, which makes me happy).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    iansilviansilv Posts: 283member
    Ok very cool! Do you have any regrets? I want to use it as a note taking and general purpose computer for law school.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    No regrets. In fact, like it so much I just upgraded it to the new SSD model this weekend due to an awesome trade-in deal my shop offered. The new one is noticeably faster; apps load real fast.

The MBA is used as a writing tool when I go away from the office for inspiration. Its lightweight is a boon over my wife's MacBook 13"; almost don't notice it's there. I also use it for drawing and slip a Wacom tablet in with it on occasions. (I write language teaching materials).

I think it will serve you very well. It leaves lots of room in your bag for other stuff (or lets you get a smaller bag), the slight slant to the keyboard makes for easy and wrist-friendly typing on higher tables and the battery hangs in there pretty well.

When I am writing, I have gotten five hours out of the battery, which is great (my old PowerBook was lucky to get three). The power adapter is pretty small, too, so if I am going for a longer day or know I will be taxing the CPU (encoding animation) then I slip it into my bag to be safe, but have never needed it.

As for apps, I'm not familiar with the needs of a law student... What kind of work will you be doing on the MBA?