ATT won't let me get 3Gs until late December....

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Should I get it? Or wait for the 4th generation iPhone in July 2010?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krob81 View Post

If you can wait until December, you mind as well wait until June for the prospective 4th gen iPhone.

I waited 2.5 years from MWSF07 to get one!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

If you plan on developing for the iPhone then get one in December as a business expense.

Otherwise, wait until 2010, unless you truly need some of the tools it offers to make your work and life more efficient.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

This might work out well for you and many many others who qualify in Dec.

I am predicting a pre-christmas iPhone bump of some kind.

Before December, the iPhone will likely seem some kind of small change. Either capacity (which I doubt) or colors (which i don't doubt), or some other small physical change. Possibly even a price drop of some kind (not as likely).

There are many theories being kicked around. The only thing I feel is a definite, is that the 3GS will be slightly different come October.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    My eligibility was showing next year. Woke up one morning about two weeks ago and suddenly, I was eligible for upgrade pricing. Bought it the same day. Love it.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    On the other hand, if you buy now or December, it doesn't mean that you are out $300 if you upgrade to the 4th gen iPhone in the Summer. Overall, I estimate that you can get close to 100% or even make a profit if you sell your the 3GS once you get the 4th gen. It's just inconvenient to go through the process of selling.

If you are fine with this inconvenience, I anticipate that you can upgrade every year and will not really have to pay the true non-eligible upgrade prices. This assumes that the after market value of an iPhone stays good, which typically, Apple does a good job at. If Apple continues to expand the nations it sells the iPhone too, the after market value will drop, but who knows how much. Also hinges on the dev teams continually being able to unlock the phone.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Wait for the 4th gen. By December, you might as well wait. I'll trade my 32GB 3GS for another high end iPhone by then. Just need to sell my 3GS on eBay