Key Apple retail exec now shaping Microsoft stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Once one of the cornerstones of Apple's early retail efforts, real estate expert George Blankenship has switched sides and is now providing advice to Microsoft on plans for its own stores.

Microsoft has confirmed that Blankenship is now consulting with the company for its first retail stores, the first of which should open in the fall.

Details of what the former executive will do haven't been made clear, in his role as Apple's VP of real estate he was instrumental to Apple's at times counterintuitive strategy for finding ideal store locations. Instead of choosing store locations purely to avoid high lease prices or insisting on locating them in technology-centric shopping areas, Blankenship from 2001 onwards insisted on placing stores in high-traffic areas and frequently in locations that were considered upscale shopping districts. The original Tokyo flagship store, for example, was placed in the fashion district of Ginza rather than in the technology haven of Akihabara. Apple counted on the sheer volume of business overcoming any costs associated with running the store in such an expensive space.

The strategy has helped Apple grow its business to produce $1.47 billion in revenue in just its latest quarter while some of its Windows PC-making rivals have met with poorer results. Gateway was eventually forced to shutter its stores after both choosing cheap, out-of-the-way locations and never carrying PCs in store; Dell has only produced a small number of similar test-only stores and was eventually forced to offer PCs to third-party retail stores to compete against Apple, Gateway, HP and other top-tier computer makers.

This success is likely to have prompted Microsoft's request for help and virtually confirms that Microsoft primarily intends to shadow Apple's approach when possible. The Windows manufacturer's COO Kevin Turner has already said that its upcoming stores will be located close to Apple's when possible. He has previously vowed that Microsoft wouldn't imitate the actual in-store experience but would "innovate" in the long run. Its own Retail Experience Center test mule near its campus has provided an early look at its plans and includes demo PCs that present an ideal view of Microsoft's product integration, such as Windows PCs set up for media editing.

A leak accompanying this previous news hints that Blankenship's experience at Apple may not rub off on the rest of Microsoft's retail plans, however. Although the stores may sit near Apple's in the future, they're poised to largely be showcases meant to advertise the Windows, Xbox and Zune brands and less to actually sell products. As such, Microsoft will be paying for expensive leases but won't necessarily recoup its investment through actual sales.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 136
    grebogrebo Posts: 20member
    Traitor!
  • Reply 2 of 136
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Computer City

CompUSA

PC Shack

The Mediocre Guys

CopyCats
  • Reply 3 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    What caught my eye was the model.
  • Reply 4 of 136
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Burn him
  • Reply 5 of 136
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    What caught my eye was the shopping cart. Can you picture that in an Apple Store?

So they expect me to go to their store not necessarily to buy something but to experience their advertising. Why would I do that when I'm constantly muting their TV ads?
  • Reply 6 of 136
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

This success is likely to have prompted Microsoft's request for help and virtually confirms that Microsoft primarily intends to shadow Apple's approach when possible. The Windows manufacturer's COO Kevin Turner has already said that its upcoming stores will be located close to Apple's when possible. He has previously vowed that Microsoft wouldn't imitate the actual in-store experience but would "innovate" in the long run. Its own Retail Experience Center test mule near its campus has provided an early look at its plans and includes demo PCs that present an ideal view of Microsoft's product integration, such as Windows PCs set up for media editing.

Stories like this make me hate Microsoft even more. I have to laugh at the notion that MS would "innovate" in the long run. LOL!
  • Reply 7 of 136
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacCad View Post

What caught my eye was the shopping cart. Can you picture that in an Apple Store?

So they expect me to go to their store not necessarily to buy something but to experience their advertising. Why would I do that when I'm constantly muting their TV ads?

With that cart she looks like she is browsing in an Office Depot or Staples Office Supply.

And talk about innovation! MS has invented advert-shopping!
  • Reply 8 of 136
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

With that cart she looks like she is browsing in an Office Depot or Staples Office Supply.

And talk about innovation! MS has invented advert-shopping!

Bingo!

That's why the only part of that view that caught my eye was the model. She was the only pleasing part that caught my eye. The rest was a rehash of pre-existing departmental store designs.
  • Reply 9 of 136
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    "Microsoft will be paying for expensive leases but won't necessarily recoup its investment through actual sales."

How can Microsoft possibly afford to do that? Oh, I forgot, their products are way overpriced.
  • Reply 10 of 136
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grebo View Post

Traitor!

MORE COPY COPY COPY!!!!!

ITS TIME FOR APPLE TO HAVE EMPLOYEES SIGN A TEN YEAR NON COMPETE!-or you don't work there. And make them retro active for the past decade!!! I'm sure Bill's father can be hired to do that, since they no longer represent our sworn enemy!!!

What's next? This deserves capitol punishment. If they shot the guy who tried to stop Hitler, this Blankenshit should go to! Bang Bang! No more George!
  • Reply 11 of 136
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    delete
  • Reply 12 of 136
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Oxymoron - MS to "shadow" Apple, but won't imitate Apple, but rather "innovate". Since when has this been the case? Are there any MS fanboys out there that can tell me of the last MS commercial product or service that was a wildly, huge, popular commercial success to the betterment of people all over the globe? That is a serious question. I'd really like to know. Thanks.

Quote:

A leak accompanying this previous news hints that Blankenship's experience at Apple may not rub off on the rest of Microsoft's retail plans, however. Although the stores may sit near Apple's in the future, they're poised to largely be showcases meant to advertise the Windows, Xbox and Zune brands and less to actually sell products. As such, Microsoft will be paying for expensive leases but won't necessarily recoup its investment through actual sales.

A store that is a showcase rather than selling? What?! How idiotic!!! Anyway, without the innovation of Apple, Ninetendo or Sony, I doubt that the Windows, Xbox and Zune brands would be anywhere near the products that they are of today, even if existing at all!
  • Reply 13 of 136
    Traitor!

BTW... MS is just telling everyone, once again, that Apple is the leader and that MS is just following on something they don't even understand.
  • Reply 14 of 136
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    It seems to me the only thing novel about what they are doing is the location: directly adjacent to Apple stores. The only way to make a store viable in such expensive real estate is a boutique style with great employees - two things MS will fail to do. The PC world just does not inspire the right kind of people to give a boutique experience. Concept and execution are two different things. I'm not impressed that a former Apple exec is doing this - he knows the limitations, but will soldier on for a huge salary. What will hurt MS is when the numbers are dribbling in and the stores are closing - it will be a huge PR nightmare.
  • Reply 15 of 136
    xykoxyko Posts: 5member
    It does not matter what Microsoft does or who they hire, they will still be Microsoft. They consume and destroy. Even when they hire Apple employees and execs they still get it wrong because everything has to go through bland Microsoft execs, not the artistic visionaries at Apple. Everything Microsoft creates emulates its former CEO (Bill Gates), no personality, bland, tasteless, unimaginative, etc.

As for Microsoft innovating, that is laughable, they can't even emulate properly [Zune]. Microsoft is always trying to tell us that they innovate instead of emulate. If this isn't emulation, I don't know what is. Microsoft stores intentionally placed near Apple stores, former apple exec hired to design stores. Yeah they totally don't copy Apple. Once again, ZERO personality.
  • Reply 16 of 136
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Doesn't Apple have non-compete agreements with former execs?

Maybe they should fire the existing legal team and hire IBM's......... \
  • Reply 17 of 136
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Oh so what. No matter what MS stores will never be much more than a glorified Office Depot. Apple has NOTHING to fear from this. If anything, these stores will drive business to Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 136
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Shows just how much the industry needs Apple.

No surprise, though.
  • Reply 19 of 136
    susanr5susanr5 Posts: 1member
    They could have saved themselves a (probably) large salary.

If all they're going to do is open stores near Apple stores, that doesn't take much brainpower from the consultant... and the usual amount of 'innovation' from Microsoft.

And yes, that will be SO appealing to 1980s-looking female customers, the thought of pushing a shopping cart around what looks to be Staples. Seriously, who folds the cuffs of bell bottoms???
  • Reply 20 of 136
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    I'd love to see an 'enhanced' version of the included image, with a homeless guy pushing his loaded Ghettebago in the general direction of the bathroom. After a refreshing sink-bath he can pay for a copy of Windows Homeless Edition using a large bag of aluminum cans.