Apple retail stores attract new Mac buyers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's 254 retail locations managed to sell 492,000 Macs to 38.6 million store visitors during the June quarter, with half of those sales going to customers who had never before owned a Mac.

Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer said the retail locations totaled $1.5 billion in revenue during the third quarter, topping last year's $1.45 billion in the same period. But that increased profit was buoyed by new retail locations, as the $5.9 million average revenue per store (based on an average 254 stores) was down from $6.8 million a year prior.

The nearly half-million Macs sold at retail locations was 16,000 more than the 476,000 consumers bought in Q3 2008.

With half of all new Mac purchases coming from customers who never owned a Mac before, Apple's One to One program might play a large role for those consumers. This past quarter, the "new and improved" One to One Program launched. The new program resulted in a record 667,000 personal training sessions, designed to help people become acquainted with their new Mac.

Apple opened six new stores during the June quarter, and now has 258 total retail locations. The company expects to open a total of 25 stores during 2009 -- including the first Apple Store in France, set to debut in Paris this holiday.

Twenty-seven stores were also remodeled, and the company expects to have a total of 100 renovations done by the end of the year.

The 38.6 million Apple Store visitors for Q3 was a 22 percent increase over the same period one year prior, when 31.7 million browsed the company's retail locations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    No matter how you cut it, these figure are tremendously impressive given the current economic slaughter.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    apple keeps on trucking on and on
  • Reply 3 of 27
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Was just in the Regents Street store in London and it was pretty busy, not far off how busy it is around Christmas. I did notice that the One 2 One tables were popular - with 5 people having sessions, which is many more than I've noticed in the past.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.

FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    jdavyjdavy Posts: 66member
    I have both machines and will gladly sell my Win-PC at anytime. My MBP is the laptop I go to often as it just works better.

For the newbies to the Mac, welcome. For those who are thinking, come on in, the water is fine. :-)
  • Reply 6 of 27
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    My older brother (an engineer and typically quite conservative) shocked me a few weeks ago buy going out and buying his first Mac after 20+ years of using PC's. I'm not sure why he switched... but he's in heaven. He LOVES it. He can't stop raving about iPhoto and iMovie... and how easy everything is to use. Funny. He calls me up just to tell me about something new he's discovered. He's like a kid with a new toy. And he's in his 40's. He's got kids and takes a ton of photos and movies and such... so he's just loving the lifestyle apps.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Was just in the Regents Street store in London and it was pretty busy, not far off how busy it is around Christmas. I did notice that the One 2 One tables were popular - with 5 people having sessions, which is many more than I've noticed in the past.

That's where we bought our daughter her new 3Gs. I was surprised at how big that store really is. And while it wasn't stuffed with people in the afternoon, there must have been well over a hundred customers in the place.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

No matter how you cut it, these figure are tremendously impressive given the current economic slaughter.

Impressive to the point of being unbelievable. I drove by the Apple Store in Walnut Creek,CA

today(10:15 a.m.), intending to stop. It is in an area of several square blocks of retail shops.

That whole part of town was deserted except for the Apple Store. There was a line of people,

I guess waiting for iPhones, and the whole place was packed. Unreal.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Apple stores are a fun place to shop and its products are cool- it's a magic formula.

FIfth Ave store is a zoo everyday- mobbed. SoHo, my personal favorite, is always busy too.

Fifth Avenue is tough. SoHo is too. The manager there told me that while their numbers were off for a while after 5th opened up, they've been higher than ever recently.

The store in the old meatpacking district on 14th street is nice. Also busy, and fairly big. That's where we bought our three phones. The area is very nice. Cobblestone old streets, new restaurants along with the old ones. Shopping. I remember that area from my H.S days in the mid '60's; not so nice.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    No wonder MS wants to come along for the ride. All I can say however, is 'eat your hear out', SB.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Hmm, lets see...

Using the stats mentioned, it would mean that 1 in 78.5 people

entering an apple store would purchase a Mac...

OR 1,937 Macs sold per store... or 21.5 per day, per store

Pretty darn good for a per-store basis. Not sure of the

visitor-to-buyer ratio as there is no other stats to compare.

However, based on big box electronics store traffic I observe near

where I work, I'd say that even Best Buy doesn't move that much.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Another Industry gets "schooled" by Apple-think retail!

Along with the computer industry, software industry, music industry, movie industry, telecom industry...the list goes on and on.

And as a side note: Thank goodness Toyota and Honda make cars...could you imagine driving a Pinto or a Maverick around? That would like using Vista!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    I dropped into the Sherway Apple Store (just outside Toronto) on a weekday (of all times), Wednesday, around 2pm.

It was packed, and there was a pretty substantial line-up to the cash register. On a Wednesday at 2! And this isn't the first time I've seen this during a non-holiday season.

Maybe back-to-school shopping has already started, though. That might be an explanation.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DahlBryn View Post

Hmm, lets see...

Using the stats mentioned, it would mean that 1 in 78.5 people

entering an apple store would purchase a Mac...

OR 1,937 Macs sold per store... or 21.5 per day, per store

Pretty darn good for a per-store basis. Not sure of the

visitor-to-buyer ratio as there is no other stats to compare.

However, based on big box electronics store traffic I observe near

where I work, I'd say that even Best Buy doesn't move that much.

How do you get 21.5/day?
  • Reply 15 of 27
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Have you been to the west 14th street location. ??

the soho chicks are real stuck up snobs but at the 13 street one.s there so nice and ,,,,

any way it may be the best store in the world for cool stuff going on . 3 Floors of apple
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Fifth Avenue is tough. SoHo is too. The manager there told me that while their numbers were off for a while after 5th opened up, they've been higher than ever recently.

The store in the old meatpacking district on 14th street is nice. Also busy, and fairly big. That's where we bought our three phones. The area is very nice. Cobblestone old streets, new restaurants along with the old ones. Shopping. I remember that area from my H.S days in the mid '60's; not so nice.

Now the newly opened High Line cuts right next to that Apple store. I have to check both soon. I wasn't to impressed with the store originally- didn't like the layout.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Have you been to the west 14th street location. ??

the soho chicks are real stuck up snobs but at the 13 street one.s there so nice and ,,,,

any way it may be the best store in the world for cool stuff going on . 3 Floors of apple

Aren't they just drag queens left over from the meatpacking hooker days?

Or Jersey girls on their way home from a Sex on the City night on the town? or both?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Now the newly opened High Line cuts right next to that Apple store. I have to check both soon. I wasn't to impressed with the store originally- didn't like the layout.

The layout seems ok. But the area right around is very nice in good weather.

I don't know about the women though, my wife won't let me go on dates.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    nm

These resluts are for the quarter, not the year.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

I ended up wandering into the Glass Cube on Fifth Avenue at like 3:00 am, and it was not only actually crowded, the Genius bar was fully up and running people were carrying out purchases in droves, and I'm talking MacPros, 13" Macbooks, etc., i.e., significant purchases, in a steady stream.

In this economy (and knowing a lot of small business types) the experience was almost surreal. Other tech companies can only eat their hearts out.......