Final Cut upgrades boast more than 100 new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A "significant" upgrade to Final Cut Studio was announced by Apple Thursday, with more than 100 new features and new versions of Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, Color and Compressor.

And at $999, the new Final Cut Studio costs $300 less than it did before. Existing users can upgrade for $299.

"With 1.4 million users and 50 percent of the market, Final Cut Pro is the number one professional video editing application," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The new Final Cut Studio includes more than 100 new features and dramatically expands Apple's ProRes family of codecs so editors can work in the studio with the highest quality video or on location at low bandwidths."

Apple also debuted the new Final Cut Server 1.5, which is the asset management and automation tool for Final Cut Studio. It offers offline editing with ProRes Proxy, production hierarchies to organize media, and support for still sequences to easily view and manage image sequences for graphics and effects workflows. The new Final Cut Server also includes unlimited client licenses. It is available for $999 or as a $299 upgrade for existing users.

In revealing the new Final Cut Studio Thursday, Apple announced the following new features for each of the suite's included applications:

Final Cut Pro 7

Expands Apple's ProRes codec family to support virtually any workflow. ProRes Proxy allows offline and mobile editing at low bandwidth; ProRes LT allows general purpose editing; and ProRes 4444 is for editing and visual effects at the highest quality possible.

Easy Export allows users to continue working on projects while encoding is done in the background and the sequence is exported to YouTube, MobileMe, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, DVD or Blu-ray.

iChat Theater support allows real time collaboration by sharing Final Cut® timelines or individual source clips with iChat users anywhere in the world, even if they don't have a copy of Final Cut Pro.

New speed tools to change clip speed with ease.

Alpha transitions to create dramatic effects using moving mattes.

Native AVC-Intra support for the latest high quality Panasonic cameras.

Motion 4

Enhancing 3D compositions is faster than ever with new customizable features that add point and spot lights to cast realistic shadows or turn any shape, video plane or paint stroke into a reflective surface.

Gives editors the flexibility to adjust the depth of field within a 3D canvas by selectively highlighting a single object or using multiple objects to create a racking focus effect.

Soundtrack Pro 3

Voice Level Match extracts volume information from the vocal content of one clip and applies it to another without altering any other audio content so editors can easily correct mismatched voice levels.

Enhanced File Editor includes new tools to make sophisticated edits and fine tune volume adjustments by targeting specific frequencies such as the rustle of a paper or the bump of a desk without affecting dialogue.

New Advanced Time Stretch feature stretches and compresses audio with incredible precision using three Apple-designed algorithms or other algorithms available as third party plug-ins.

Color 1.5

Works with a greater range of sequences and effects from Final Cut Pro and an integrated workflow allows editors to complete projects entirely within Final Cut Studio.

New 4K support works natively with files from cameras such as the RED ONE and outputs directly to ProRes for HD or DPX for film.

Expanded support for new high quality formats includes AVC-Intra, XDCAM 422 and ProRes 4444, for grading with the maximum amount of color information.

Compressor 3.5

Adds ability to automatically detect QuickTime settings and create an Easy Export template or a mini "droplet" on the desktop that automates specific Compressor actions. New, customizable sharing options make it easy to publish to YouTube and MobileMe, or export for iPhone, iPod, Apple TV and mobile phones.

Menu templates and encoding presets make it fast and easy to create Blu-ray discs.

Last month, AppleInsider was first to report that Apple was planning a new version of Final Cut Studio with major upgrades to Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Soundtrack Pro. While under development, the project was code-named Sideways.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 119
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Finally an Apple product with Blu-Ray support
  • Reply 2 of 119
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Wow Apple. DVDSP 4? And what the hell ever happened to the successor to Shake?

Does the new version of Color support multi-cam sequences?
  • Reply 3 of 119
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    (cough, cough) ...Logic? (cough, cough)
  • Reply 4 of 119
    And no news about additional support for Snow Leopard…
  • Reply 5 of 119
    You should get that cough seen to. Logic 9 is out.
  • Reply 6 of 119
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

(cough, cough) ...Logic? (cough, cough)

Ah, yes, Apple coughed up a new version of Logic too

Happy now?

I know a few who will be.
  • Reply 7 of 119
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    So is Final Cut Studio 64 bit now? Can it use more than 4 GB of RAM? Can you actually author blue ray DVDs? And use Windows to actually burn them ?
  • Reply 8 of 119
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

And use Windows to actually burn them ?

Hahah so true. lets hope they resolve that issue!
  • Reply 9 of 119
    tonglajitonglaji Posts: 12member
    still no navtive AVCHD edit?
  • Reply 10 of 119
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Ah, yes, Apple coughed up a new version of Logic too

Happy now?

I know a few who will be.

Sorry, this was actually posted as a separate story a few minutes later.

And yes, I'm happy now!
  • Reply 11 of 119
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    AVCHD editing support using Apple ProRes

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonglaji View Post

still no navtive AVCHD edit?

• Reply 12 of 119
    Is it just me or can we not actually buy this? I hit the buy now button and it says the page can't be found. Oooooppsss major Steve Jobs ass kicking coming on!!!
  • Reply 13 of 119
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I know -right? The tide is changing- slooooowly.

Does Sony get a royalty for this too?
  • Reply 14 of 119
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Does the new version of Color support multi-cam sequences?

You don't need DVDSP 4. It is all handled by FCP 7 now. And yes, Color can FINALLY handle multi-cam sequences!! Woohoo!
  • Reply 15 of 119
    macheimachei Posts: 83member
    And STILL no Aperture 3.0.

How many updates to film/audio since the update to photographs?

For crissakes, Apple... I'm moving to Lightroom soon. \
  • Reply 16 of 119
    It'd be great to get a comment out of Apple whether Final Cut Studio has 64-bit support in Leopard and OpenCL support for Snow Leopard. Pro apps seem to be the ideal use of these technologies. Hopefully, Apple isn't planning on charging users a small fee for an update iPod Touch style to enable 64-bit and OpenCL support once Snow Leopard is released. Or plans to make 64-bit support exclusive to Snow Leopard to get people to upgrade since Leopard is perfectly capable of 64-bit GUI apps.
  • Reply 17 of 119
    I like the way the screenshots now have glare on them to simulate how glossy apples screens are now
  • Reply 18 of 119
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Dang! This package is such a good Effin deal!!!

$999 for all that?!
  • Reply 19 of 119
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

what exactly does that mean. seriously. what is so special about Blu-ray other than the higher res. because that is all I seem to find and imovie 09 has a number of reports of handling 1080 just fine.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mclarenf1 View Post

Is it just me or can we not actually buy this?

with most products it ships the day it is announced out to stores, which receive it within about 2-3 days and the online comes up within an hour or two later. try again after lunch, it will likely work.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

given them time. Apple likes to spread things out a little. there have been reports of an A3.0 update coming soon. probably by the end of summer at the lastest. maybe at the same time as SL.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

It'd be great to get a comment out of Apple whether Final Cut Studio has 64-bit support in Leopard and OpenCL support for Snow Leopard.

I suspect that all 64bit will be in Snow Leopard. and I for one don't see the big deal about that. it's $29 to upgrade if you have Leopard. is that really so much money. especially compared to the old days when they would lump all the mail etc into it and charge $100 more. this time they spread the apps updates out via software update and all we are paying for is the actual system software updates. seems very worth the price to me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Dang! This package is such a good Effin deal!!!

$999 for all that?!

yep. bit of a shocker really that they dropped the price point on this rather than staying steady like before.

not that I"m going to complain. i'm just glad I hadn't bought it yet.
  • Reply 20 of 119
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by machei View Post

How many updates to film/audio since the update to photographs?

For crissakes, Apple... I'm moving to Lightroom soon. \

No kidding. How long ago did Aperture 2 come out? I'm almost tempted to move back to iPhoto (ok, not really, but almost). It handles RAW much better than it used to and supports geotagging. I though features were supposed to trickle down from the pro apps to the consumer apps, not the other way around! And they still don't even fully support RAW formats for the Canon 5DII which came out nearly a year ago.