WNR-2000 Netgear Router + Macs.. help!!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all!!

I just registered today because your Genius Bar thread has helped me in the past, but I currently CANNOT find a solution to this problem I have, and I can't take it anymore!!

Okay, I'm not so tech-savvy, so please bear with me.

I have a WNR-2000 router in my house and we've always had a problem getting our Macs to have the quick internet that it boasts. (The Windows computers work fine!) When all the lights in the Network Diagnostics are green, the internet is speedy quick... but sometimes the "Network Settings" one turns yellow and the ISP, Internet, and Server are red, and then we have to restart the router for it to work again.

Now, I just got an iMac, and the internet is slow or doesn't work even when I have full signal strength and the lights are all green. My messages on programs like iChat and Skype don't go through at all, and sometimes I have to wait 10 minutes for google to load!! My computer is brand new and has 4 GB RAM so I know it's not too slow.

I hope I made sense... should we get a new router? Will the Airport Express work from a downstairs room to an upstairs room in a fairly large house? Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to read this!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I have a WNR-2000 router in my house and we've always had a problem getting our Macs to have the quick internet that it boasts. (The Windows computers work fine!)

The fast networking is probably the 802.11n but the standard will only be complete in September. Devices made before then use the pre-N spec and not all of them are compatible with each other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I hope I made sense... should we get a new router? Will the Airport Express work from a downstairs room to an upstairs room in a fairly large house? Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to read this!!

If it's a big house, you can consider using these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156207

You buy two and plug one into the router and the other into the computer and the network goes over the powerline. I've seen it working and it's pretty cool and much faster than wireless but you have to be sure that your power sockets are on the same circuit.

You can try changing your router settings first though. You do this by going to the web page setup for the router. If you check your TCP/IP panel in system preferences > network, you should get the IP of the router. It will be something like 192.168.0.1.

Type that into Safari or another browser (it can be on your Windows machine) and you can adjust various things. One setting that affects connection quality is the wireless channel. Some routers will have an automatic setting and it will try and pick the best channel to connect over.

They can have various operating modes too like mixed modes for older devices or strictly the newest standard. You can try turning off 802.11n and use only 802.11g for example.