PPPoA/PPPoE confusion with Time Capsule in the UK

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi

I am making changes to my home wireless setup and need to buy a modem to use with my Time Capsule to handle my ADSL broadband.

Currently I have a Netgear router doing the job (I now want to use this for another purpose), and I have the Netgear router set up to handle PPPoA with the TC in bridge mode. Previously I tried to use the Netgear router in modem only mode and have the TC handle PPPoE, but I kept getting drop outs, so I switched back. I was led to believe that this problem may have something to do with the difference between PPPoE and PPPoA.

So now I am thinking of buying a modem, I am wondering again about the difference between PPPoE and PPPoA and whether when I get a modem I can use the TC in PPPoE mode for a service that wants to use PPPoA. I will need to use the TC as a router, does this mean that it will also have to handle PPPoE, or can the modem do the PPPoA and the TC still distribute IP addresses?

I would be grateful for any help in getting this setup right. The modem I am thinking of is the NETGEAR DM111P ADSL2+ Ethernet Modem.

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Hi Nick,

This is a newer version of the modem I use with my Airport Extreme.

As far as I can tell, it is unique in having an internal PPPoA to PPPoE bridge.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

My ISP only allows PPPoA connection. So I had to get this modem. This leaves the Airport (or TC) in the driving seat and not double-NATted.

Not used the Netgear. But support forums suggest people are having problems.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Hi Nick,

This is a newer version of the modem I use with my Airport Extreme.

As far as I can tell, it is unique in having an internal PPPoA to PPPoE bridge.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor120.html

My ISP only allows PPPoA connection. So I had to get this modem. This leaves the Airport (or TC) in the driving seat and not double-NATted.

Not used the Netgear. But support forums suggest people are having problems.

C.

thanks, i have ordered the draytek modem on your advice.

nick
  • Reply 3 of 6
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

thanks, i have ordered the draytek modem on your advice.

nick

That's a responsibility!

Let us know how you get on.

My Draytek is the 110. Ugly as hell, but has worked flawlessly for a year.

C.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    everything is working well with the Draytek 120. Thanks for the advice.

nick
  • Reply 5 of 6

• Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cynanic View Post

I also have the same problem. You posted this a few mothns back, I just wondered if you are still happy with this solution, or if there are any major probs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

I use the older Draytek Vigor 110. It has been flawless and totally reliable.

On my recommendation, my business partner bought the 120. - And he has had problems. The 120 is "cleverer" with a bunch of additional features.

One of these features is that it renegotiates the ADSL connection every three hours.

The other feature is that it blocks iChat video and screen sharing.

Apparently, Draytek say a fix is forthcoming.

C.