bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>When will they get bin Laden?</strong><hr></blockquote>

They won't.

[quote]And for bonus points: how?<hr></blockquote>

Gross incompetence.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    Next week or two.

CIA hellfire into his car/truck while he's on the move.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: Scott H. ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Christmas

Santa and his 8 Special Forces Elves.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    Within Three Months

Special Forces will either kill or capture him.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    I am with Belle on that one.

On both counts.

How deluded can you get

- T.I.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    I'm with Belle and TI.

Not gonna happen, or, if it does, it'll be by a stroke of luck... or, they'll claim they got him by blowing up a truck or some nonsense, but it won't be for real.

Didn't anyone see "Wag the Dog?"
  • Reply 7 of 31
    how do they know where he is?

maybe he shaved and got a haircut...

and is living in Paris...

stranger things have happened...
  • Reply 8 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I also don't think they're gunna get him.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I see a lot of reports that he'd have one of his cronies kill him before he'd be captured.

CNN is reporting 25 Taliban soldiers shot each other instead of surrendering.

Jeff
  • Reply 10 of 31
    How many people here thought we were in another "vietnam" and the ground war would go until next spring and the taliban were "fierce fighters".
  • Reply 11 of 31
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    [quote]ON THE SOUTHERN AFGHAN BORDERÂ*Â?Â*British and American special forces have narrowed their search for Usama bin Laden to a hilly area of just 30 square miles in southeastern Afghanistan, defence sources revealed Saturday.<hr></blockquote>

From <a href="http://www.fark.com/"; target="_blank">Fark</a> via Fox.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    The Taliban didn't cause 9.11; Al Qaeda did, and even if you manage to cut its head off, the war won't be won. Thankfully, they've lost a refuge and an associate, but I wouldn't parade around yet.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    Amazing. Early predictions were that this was an impossible mission that had little chance of success. The Taliban fighters were too wiley, and even the "mighty" Soviet Army could not conquer the land, just like the British Empire before them. Now the air campaign, combined with Special Forces and the Afghan resistance has routed the Taliban forces in the most rapid turnaround since John McCain supported George Bush for President. But to some of you, the U.S. military is still incompetent. No, it's the most potent fighting force on the planet, bar none. They will get bin Laden. If the result is that he takes his own life instead of dying from an American bullet, he'll still be dead.

As to the questions; sooner than anyone thought, I'd predict before the end of the year. At the outset, most seemed to think it might take years. How? Who cares! But I'd say he will be found dead rather than gunned down in close combat, or bombed.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>

Didn't anyone see "Wag the Dog?"</strong><hr></blockquote>Sure did.

Everyone should see this film.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac The Fork:

<strong>The Taliban didn't cause 9.11; Al Qaeda did, and even if you manage to cut its head off, the war won't be won. Thankfully, they've lost a refuge and an associate, but I wouldn't parade around yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope, and I wouldn't want to be any lonely mofo thinking that their religious right was to join a terrorist group and get an easy ticket to paradise with 90 virgins in blowing his ass up in some unsuspecting Pizza Hut either.

Things have changed and it's never going to be a quick fix. But we (we as in the WORLD) are watching them...and we will strike back before OR after the cause.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    He'll be gotten, though we may not get him. But after that event, what then? Is that it? No I think it would be much better if he ran to Iraq for refuge. Then we'd have an opportunity to settle-up there too. That'd be brilliant. I hope someone is working on it: a way to safely guide Osama into Iraq because if he's gotten in Afganistan the international community and the Americans are bound to turn wishy washy.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    You know what? I've been thinking about this. If bin Laden wants to save his skin and have any hope of coming out of this alive he should run to...

China.

Think abou it.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Nah, the Chinese will put on a little diplomacy pageant, just to show the Americans up a bit, then they'll hand him right over. Too much money/economic/reputational development at stake there.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Nah, the Chinese will put on a little diplomacy pageant, just to show the Americans up a bit, then they'll hand him right over. Too much money/economic/reputational development at stake there.</strong><hr></blockquote>

For one thing if bin Laden goes to any other country he'll either be shot on sight or that country will not be able to protect him. China is they only "superpower" we'd have to deal with.

At the very least they'll try to get something for him. The US would (and should) reject that. It will drag on. They may try to put him on trial for his role in China. We may never get him back. The longer they can drag it out the more they can use it as a thorn in our side.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    [quote]Originally posted by grand illusion:

<strong>how do they know where he is?

maybe he shaved and got a haircut...

and is living in Paris...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that he's 6' 5". It's kind of hard to just blend in when you're that tall. I think we'll get him but we won't know for sure. He'll be buried in some cave. Just as well. Some wacko would want to make the site of his death into some kind of shrine. And as long as there's no body it'll be harder for his supporters to make him inot a martyr. He'll instead become an Islamic version of Elvis.