Apple releases MobileMe iDisk for iPhone, iPod touch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's free MobileMe iDisk application is now available on the App Store, allowing users to remotely access files saved online via the MobileMe service.

"You can already access your iDisk online at me.com," Apple's Web site reads. "And now you can access it right from your iPhone. Free for MobileMe members, the iDisk app for iPhone makes your important files accessible anytime, anywhere. View popular file types, such as Microsoft Office and iWork ?09 documents and presentations, PDFs, and more, in portrait or landscape. Share any file, big or small, with just a few taps. And access files in the Public folders of other MobileMe members just as easily."

Apple says that files recently accessed via the application can be viewed when there is no reception, such as traveling on an airplane.

iTunes advertises the following features for the iDisk app:

View files on your iDisk

Access Public folders

Easily share files from your iPhone

Quickly access recently viewed files

View iPhone supported file types -- including iWork, Office, PDF, Quicktime and more (files larger than 20MB may not be viewable).

It is available in English, French, German and Japanese, and requires a MobileMe subscription along with iPhone OS 3.0

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Woohoo! I've been waiting for this for a while. I have used a couple of third party aps to connect to my iDisk on the go, they have been ok, but not quite as nicely executed as this.

Not bad for free!
  • Reply 2 of 65
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Doesn't show up under "new" or under a search for "iDisk."

Why announce it if the link isn't' set up first?

Edit: This is probably just another one of those rude "It's released in the US store so it's released" moments. Hopefully it will show up in other North American countries (there are a few apparently) later today.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Edit: This is probably just another one of those rude "It's released in the US store so it's released" moments. Hopefully it will show up in other North American countries (there are a few apparently) later today.

Don't be so cynical! I'm in the UK and I have it!

• Reply 4 of 65
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

Try searching "MobileMe iDisk". Worked for me on the Canadian store.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Im in the U.S. It says coming soon on the website - n there is nothing in search in the app store.

Am I dumb?
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

It's available in the UK store now...
  • Reply 7 of 65
    echosonicechosonic Posts: 462member
    Quote:

It isn't rude. Its a US website. About a US company. Following a US stock exchange in US time Zones.

It would be self centered of anybody else to expect Apple to hold of an announcement until it was ready worldwide.

Often many of your backwards podunk countries can't get their internets together or their anti-trust laws in line fast enough to accomodate Apple, and Apple waits for no one.

Have a latte and sit back, as I'm sure you're not from one of those podunk countries, so its probably only hours away for you...
  • Reply 8 of 65
    duh - there it is - duh - sorry duh
  • Reply 9 of 65
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    self delete
  • Reply 10 of 65
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Type MobileMe iDisk in the search field and it will pull up the app for the US.

It might not have been there when you searched, but it is there now...
  • Reply 11 of 65
    What I really want is a find-my-iphone app so I can find my wife's iPhone when we're out somewhere and it falls out of her pocket. (Or more likely, one of the kids pulled it out of her purse and left it nearby but under something.)
  • Reply 12 of 65
    jcw5002jcw5002 Posts: 37member
    I had to type MobileMe iDisk and physically hit "Search". It wasnt showing up on the autocomplete. [US]
  • Reply 13 of 65
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yogieric View Post

What I really want is a find-my-iphone app so I can find my wife's iPhone when we're out somewhere and it falls out of her pocket. (Or more likely, one of the kids pulled it out of her purse and left it nearby but under something.)

So why don't you just call the phone? Come on man, little brain power maybe?
  • Reply 14 of 65
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    I hope they don't think this alleviates the need for an "enable disk use" option like "regular" iPods have.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcw5002 View Post

I had to type MobileMe iDisk and physically hit "Search". It wasnt showing up on the autocomplete. [US]

It's a hard life isn't it?!
  • Reply 16 of 65
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Great that it's only 2.2MB, but weird that emailing doesn't access the same addressees as in the standard mail app. I tried sending a link to my office email, it's not in my contacts but I've emailed it before, so in mail app it pops up when I type my name. From iDisk app, I can only add from my contacts.

From the standard mail app I can't make the email address into a contact and I can't cut and paste it into the iDisk app. So, first experiment failed unless I get a pen and paper out.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

So why don't you just call the phone? Come on man, little brain power maybe?

Yeah... MobileMe's Find my iPhone feature isn't going to help you find your phone if it is only a few feet away, anyway. Usually, I'm lucky if it shows better than a half mile radius.

That being said, I would like an iPhone app so that I can see where my wife is when she doesn't answer her phone because she always puts it on silent at work and forgets to turn it back on. I don't need to know exactly where she is standing, but a general idea would be nice. For now, I just VNC to my desktop to do it. I tend to fill a lot of the iPhone holes by using my desktop via VNC.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

Often many of your backwards podunk countries can't get their internets together...

Now there's a brilliant, open-minded comment if ever I heard one!
  • Reply 19 of 65
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

It isn't rude. Its a US website. About a US company. Following a US stock exchange in US time Zones.

It would be self centered of anybody else to expect Apple to hold of an announcement until it was ready worldwide.

Often many of your backwards podunk countries can't get their internets together or their anti-trust laws in line fast enough to accomodate Apple, and Apple waits for no one.

Have a latte and sit back, as I'm sure you're not from one of those podunk countries, so its probably only hours away for you...

Well agreed that my impatience probably came across as rude in and of itself, but you're dead wrong about what you say above. Apple is not a US company it's an international company. This website is based in the US but has readers from all over the world. Most of the top Mac forum sites like this one or MacRumours have about 50% of their readership from the UK actually. And I don't know WTF you're talking about with the stocks thing. How is that relevant at all?

You also have it completely backwards when you say "it would be self-centred (sic) ... " etc. It is self-centred by definition to expect all Apple's announcements and all Apple related websites to cater only to the US and to have information only related to the US. Expecting the reverse is not self-centred by definition.

Also, for someone talking about "rude" calling other countries "podunk" countries is a bit much.

For anyone interested, I was obviously just impatient, and it did arrive in my country but only after a while and only after repeated searches for the exact name of the file came up empty. Interestingly it arrived in the desktop version of the store five minutes before the online version.

Apologies for being an impatient person, but I still think it's standard procedure to put a product on a shelf (virtual or otherwise), and *then* announce that you have it.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Not even a mention of encryption. What a joke. If I could store documents on my corporate Mac OS X Server system, then I'd consider this useful.