SMS hack could leave "every" iPhone vulnerable

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A single character sent by text message could allegedly compromise every iPhone released to date.

Talking at the Black Hat security conference in Las Vegas, experts Charlie Miller and Collin Mulliner say they've discovered a bug in the iPhone's approach to SMS that exposes it completely to remote control through a subsequent hack, including the camera, dialer, messaging and Safari. It occurs regardless of hardware revision or which version of the iPhone OS is running.

The technique involves sending only one unusual text character or else a series of "invisible" messages that confuse the phone and open the door to attack. Because users won't know whose messages to block in advance, there's little iPhone owners can do but to shut off the phone immediately if they suspect they're at risk -- a real problem as the trick could also be used to make an iPhone send more messages of its own.

"Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this," Miller claimed to Forbes on Wednesday.

An extra vulnerability would simply be used to frustrate individual owners and would use a series of SMS messages to keep the iPhone offline for 10 seconds at a time, creating the mobile equivalent of a denial of service attack for as long as the malicious programmer saw fit.

Both of the experts reiterated that they notified Apple of the flaws roughly a month ago. In its typically silent approach to security, however, the company hasn't issued an update to patch either of the security breaches and hasn't provided an update on whether or not it can release a patch before the end of the month.

Regardless of the Cupertino firm's response, the new exploits underscore a small but noteworthy history of security risks that, among others, have included a since-fixed Safari flaw that would compromise an iPhone just by visiting a website with hidden but hostile code.

Apple is all the same not isolated from these sorts of issues. Google's Android in its current form is vulnerable to the same 10-second knockout as the iPhone, and Windows Mobile can also be controlled through a burst of text messages.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I hope this isn't true. As it is, I already resent the fact that I have to accept SMS messages as part of the service (for $0.20 a pop) and have no control that I've seen to block or only accept messages from certain people. I can choose not to accept a phone call, not so with SMS that I've found. I get the message and I'm automatically charged for it.

I don't think it's the money that's a problem for me, it's just the total lack of control and it just seems like a potential way to rack up my bill without my permission and I can't do much of anything about it without spending even more time and money.
  • Reply 2 of 88
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I hope this isn't true. As it is, I already resent the fact that I have to accept SMS messages as part of the service (for $0.20 a pop) and have no control that I've seen to block or only accept messages from certain people. I can choose not to accept a phone call, not so with SMS that I've found. I get the message and I'm automatically charged for it.

I don't think it's the money that's a problem for me, it's just the total lack of control and it just seems like a potential way to rack up my bill without my permission and I can't do much of anything about it without spending even more time and money.

You can choose to block all texts -- just tell your wireless carrier to block all text messages, and they will be blocked.

I agree that this sounds a wee bit hokey -- invisible texts or strange characters? I'm not sure that makes much of any sense, but I'm no expert -- I can only hope.
  • Reply 3 of 88
    Quote:

Agreed. I think it's only us here in the States that are forced into this pay as you receive garbage. I'm not sure, but maybe anyone in other countries can verify you are pay for outgoing only by law? It should be a requirement by law, imo. Paying for incoming is dumb.
  • Reply 4 of 88
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Precisely why I'm waiting for the T-Mobile iPhone... at least on the plan I have, T-Mobile gives a courtesy 50 SMS and that covers those all important text messages I receive from unknown senders who like to send messages like the following...

"Just because! lol"

If AT&T thinks I'm paying them .20¢ for that, they have a whole other thing coming!
  • Reply 5 of 88
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I was shocked when I found out you guys have to pay to receive text messages. And on top of that, that it's an astronomical $0.20 per message! I'm on a pay-as-you-go tariff (no monthly fee), and it costs me nothing to receive and only 4p (less than $0.07) to send a text.
  • Reply 6 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Someone could pretty quickly take over every iPhone in the world with this,"

Has anyone received an SMS text message requesting... "one hundred million dollars" (put finger to mouth)...

Sounds like Dr. Evil! Where is Austin Powers when you need him?!

• Reply 7 of 88
    You can have sms blocked. I don't have an sms plan for my iphone and have it blocked...just talk to them. You might be able to do it online even but I had my wife take care of it so she called and had it taken care of.
  • Reply 8 of 88
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

Agreed. I think it's only us here in the States that are forced into this pay as you receive garbage. I'm not sure, but maybe anyone in other countries can verify you are pay for outgoing only by law? It should be a requirement by law, imo. Paying for incoming is dumb.

You are correct. In Australia it would be considered disgusting to charge someone for something they didn't request, or have any control over.

Basically, if you are in control over the charge, thats fair. If you are out of control, then anyone can make you lose as much money as they like. That isn't your choice, and that would be considered ludicrous.
  • Reply 9 of 88
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    >>>In Australia it would be considered disgusting to charge someone for something they didn't request, or have any control over.

Well, that's the difference between the US and the rest of civilized world. Nothing here is considered disgusting if it will make someone a profit.
  • Reply 10 of 88
    bklynkidbklynkid Posts: 36member
    Well, you can't hack me, I've had my SMS disabled by AT&T since I got my iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 88
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

I was shocked when I found out you guys have to pay to receive text messages. And on top of that, that it's an astronomical $0.20 per message! I'm on a pay-as-you-go tariff (no monthly fee), and it costs me nothing to receive and only 4p (less than $0.07) to send a text.

Not only that - I have to pay when somebody calls ME! And while we are at it.... What about those roaming charges. I am in Canada and if I go to Europe I have to pay 3 cents per KB. That's 30 dollars per MB. Anyone have any clue what the mark-up is on that?
  • Reply 12 of 88
    I feel like this hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Apple. First the Foxconn suicide, then the Google Voice fiasco, now this. I'm not saying anything about Apple's responsibility in any of these, but just from a PR standpoint it's been quite a lot of crap in a very short period of time.
  • Reply 13 of 88
    Hmmm.... this is somewhat disconcerting. Starting from about 4pm this afternoon I received 7 text messages within the span of 30 minutes. All of the texts were blank (no characters). I am in Toronto, using Fido. It came from number 416-930-2211. Anyone else had this?

Did the security experts mention any fix? Or any way to know if your phone has been compromised?
  • Reply 14 of 88
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    Wanna control every iPhone in the world?

There's an app for that!
  • Reply 15 of 88
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

If you are out of control, then anyone can make you lose as much money as they like. That isn't your choice, and that would be considered ludicrous.

AT&T themselves could contract with some third party to blast out text messages to all of their customers.

Not that this is likely to happen without serious scrutiny, but imagine if they did it on a partial basis every other month or so, so as to merely appear as a 'nuisance'. Multiply their user base by $.20 and do the math...
  • Reply 16 of 88
    You guys have to pay to receive a text message? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
  • Reply 17 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vercordio View Post

I feel like this hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Apple. First the Foxconn suicide, then the Google Voice fiasco, now this. I'm not saying anything about Apple's responsibility in any of these, but just from a PR standpoint it's been quite a lot of crap in a very short period of time.

As long as Apple's stock is on the rise... Don't worry, it's hard to keep a good company down... (I know I inserted the word "company" in lieu of "man" but it seemed to fit).
  • Reply 18 of 88
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ad4m.phillips View Post

You guys have to pay to receive a text message? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Pretty much. It's even worse than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrpx4NAtsFQ
  • Reply 19 of 88
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:

...we have to pay to receive a call too! That's in the GREATEST nation in the world where everything is free and everyone can go to the moon if they want;-)
  • Reply 20 of 88
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

That's not as stupid as the people who actually pay it.

Anybody who bends over and lets AT&T have its way with them is asking to be double charged for text messages.