Five Hour Transit in Geneva GVA any ideas ?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
My wife & I are transiting in Geneva GVA for approximately five hours next week. We're in our late twenties, Canadians, do we need a visa to leave the airport for the five hours and are there attractions nearby the Geneva 'GVA' Airport that are worth visiting ( i googled and read about geneva lake being a good attraction, what do you think) if so, do we take a cab or public transit ? Any general recommendations ?

thank you

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No one answered but here's what we did, in case someone has time during transit, we took the train which can be accessed from within the airport like a 5 minute walk, not even. Then ten minutes later we arrived to the city center and walked down to the famous fountain... we had a great time and we had a couple of snacks in between walking around the city.

\\

highly recommended... thanks for all those that read the thread !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

My wife & I are transiting in Geneva GVA for approximately five hours next week. We're in our late twenties, Canadians, do we need a visa to leave the airport for the five hours and are there attractions nearby the Geneva 'GVA' Airport that are worth visiting ( i googled and read about geneva lake being a good attraction, what do you think) if so, do we take a cab or public transit ? Any general recommendations ?

thank you

• Reply 2 of 4
    Sounds like a good use of five hours. Most airports aren't close enough to civilization to make five hours a worthy duration for excursion.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Any time I've been in Europe, after I clear initial customs I didn't need to do anything again. Actually, I'm thinking that's not true...I had this huge run around at Frankfurt switching terminals for some reason and had to clear security again going to and from barcelona. That airport plain sucked.

Nice tip about GVA, thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mpwmpw Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intense View Post

...thanks for all those that read the thread !

Sounds like you made the best of a short stay, well done! I read the thread earlier, but couldn't offer any advice, as I've been to Geneva twice... and both times by mistake, never got out the car!!