New to Mac, need advice

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What kinds of applications would you guys recommend i get for my macbook pro 13"?

I am new to mac and would like some advice from people who know their way around the block.

I am a finance person so any applications related to that would be of great appreciation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Excel is available for Mac.

Apple has a spreadsheet called Numbers as part of iWork. While a bargain, it might or might not be a little light weight for you. I would recommend iWork anyways as Pages is pretty sweet and Keynote blows Powerpoint away.

http://www.apple.com/iwork/
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbo2g2003 View Post

What kinds of applications would you guys recommend i get for my macbook pro 13"?

I am new to mac and would like some advice from people who know their way around the block.

I am a finance person so any applications related to that would be of great appreciation.

To say that you are a "finance person" is not terribly specific. What is it that you do? What is it that you would like to do with your Mac?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

To say that you are a "finance person" is not terribly specific. What is it that you do? What is it that you would like to do with your Mac?

I'm in investing, and capital markets. So anything related to investing would be great!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by turbo2g2003 View Post

I'm in investing, and capital markets. So anything related to investing would be great!

Have a look here for OSX-native apps.

But don't forget you can run any Windows or Linux app on your Mac too. Either natively in BootCamp, or in a virtual machine (Parallels, VMware Fusion, VirtualBox [FREE]), or in Crossover (FREE, no Windows necessary; but doesn't work with all apps).

And you can run those at the same time, and side-by-side with OSX apps on-screen if you like.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    It's not rated well on the apple store website, but I personally think that Office 2008 is really good. Everyone needs Office,and I'm sure you'd benefit from Excel. I'm really not even sure if there is a version of Access for mac.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky_White_Boy View Post

It's not rated well on the apple store website, but I personally think that Office 2008 is really good. Everyone needs Office,and I'm sure you'd benefit from Excel. I'm really not even sure if there is a version of Access for mac.

Office 2008 is hugely bloated, slow as molasses, and buggy.

I.o.w. standard Micro$haft fare.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Funky_White_Boy View Post

Unless there is a need for VBA macros. Then the only option is to run MS Office in Bootcamp or VMFusion/Parallels. Even though MS Office 2004 has VBA support, it is based on VB5, which is the same as MS Office 97. Having tried to make things work cross-platform I know it just doesn't cut it at this level.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

Unless there is a need for VBA macros. Then the only option is to run MS Office in Bootcamp or VMFusion/Parallels. Even though MS Office 2004 has VBA support, it is based on VB5, which is the same as MS Office 97. Having tried to make things work cross-platform I know it just doesn't cut it at this level.

Can't you run Office for Windows in CrossOver? Without Windows?

I've got CrossOver, but not Office for Windows, so I can't test it.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Check out http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/

They have close to 20,000 OS X apps - everything from freeware to full commercial packages.

They also have a section for "Finance" as well as one for "Business".