Pricing the "new" G4 line

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
sorry to add another beat-a-dead-horse-we're-p/o'ed-no-G5's...

I think we're seeing this speed bump coming up as a direct result of the overwhelming demand for the 800 mhz iMac... Way too many Pro customers are panicking that they were ripped off for their towers, and that slowed tower sales way more than expected.

But how are they going to price the low end 800 mhz tower to compete with a 800 mhz iMac, display and the works included?

Educated guess, 1499 for the low end 800, DDR-RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive, and lower the 15' display cost to 499. So, 2000 for the tower+display, which is still a 200 price difference.

I dont ever remember being such a blatant performance overlap, and the longer it goes on, and the longer the ship time on the high end iMac becomes, a lot of pro customers are going to be without machines.

Whats going to sell the tower now that the iMac's a G4?

A G5 chip? DDR-RAM? Hyperactive-Superdrive? 'Gigawire'? USB 2.0?

Well, we've got about 72 hours to find out..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by vvedge:

<strong>sorry to add another beat-a-dead-horse-we're-p/o'ed-no-G5's...

I think we're seeing this speed bump coming up as a direct result of the overwhelming demand for the 800 mhz iMac... Way too many Pro customers are panicking that they were ripped off for their towers, and that slowed tower sales way more than expected.

But how are they going to price the low end 800 mhz tower to compete with a 800 mhz iMac, display and the works included?

Educated guess, 1499 for the low end 800, DDR-RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive, and lower the 15' display cost to 499. So, 2000 for the tower+display, which is still a 200 price difference.

I dont ever remember being such a blatant performance overlap, and the longer it goes on, and the longer the ship time on the high end iMac becomes, a lot of pro customers are going to be without machines.

Whats going to sell the tower now that the iMac's a G4?

A G5 chip? DDR-RAM? Hyperactive-Superdrive? 'Gigawire'? USB 2.0?

Well, we've got about 72 hours to find out..</strong><hr></blockquote>

One thing's for sure, I gotta sell my Dual-800 FAST while it's still worth $3400. Dear God...I hope some poor sucker's gonna buy mine for $3200.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Come next week we will know. I don't think the prices on the current towers will change unless they preview the upcoming G5. But who knows. ?????????
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by M5884:

<strong>I don't think the prices on the current towers will change unless they preview the upcoming G5. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What part about previewing a G5 is going to spark G4 tower sales?

"Here are some new towers, but dont worry.. we've got something so much faster coming up in a few months. You can buy now and be absolutley positive you're being screwed"

much like when the Titanium's sales slumped in the fall, they need something to revitalize it. So, I say that the G5 will be off the record until MWNY...

Hey, some of us believe Apple's not bent on ripping us off
  • Reply 4 of 9
    danhodanho Posts: 22member
    "Whats going to sell the tower now that the iMac's a G4? "

Assuming minimal speed bumps, no faster busses, RAM, etc, DUAL processors across the tower line would differentiate the tower from the new imac. Apple could price the low end tower at around 1700 (sans superdrive), so that a complete system would cost about $1K more than the imac, but deliver potentially much greater performance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

danho
  • Reply 5 of 9
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by danho:

<strong>"Whats going to sell the tower now that the iMac's a G4? "

Assuming minimal speed bumps, no faster busses, RAM, etc, DUAL processors across the tower line would differentiate the tower from the new imac. Apple could price the low end tower at around 1700 (sans superdrive), so that a complete system would cost about $1K more than the imac, but deliver potentially much greater performance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

danho</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that. Afterall, if Apple wants to push OS X as the platform of choice for creative professionals then MP makes sense. I hope we see dual processors accross the range (maybe not the low-end Mac, though).
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Why are we so certain that we must be getting a new PowerMac this week? We've heard these rumors before. May or may not.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    [quote]Originally posted by kim kap sol:

<strong>

One thing's for sure, I gotta sell my Dual-800 FAST while it's still worth $3400. Dear God...I hope some poor sucker's gonna buy mine for $3200.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Careful. That new 800 on the low end may be lacking the L3 cache. They did that with the 733 last time.

Do you find your Dual-800 slow? If not, why bother selling it. Computers aren't investments, it's ok not to have the latest and greatest model. Unless you're filthy-stinkin' rich which in that case, share the wealth! Buy us all Dual-1GHz machines.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that the prize will be the same , it will be an upgrade for the same prize.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    Powerdoc,

The word is 'price', not 'prize'.