Airport Extreme transfer rates going extremely slow.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey

So have had an Airport Extreme for about 6 months now and have loved it. I usually have 2 hard drives and a printer hooked up to it. In the last few days I have noticed that my transfer speed between the Harddrive has been going extremely slow. I have never had an issue before with the sleep but the last few days have just been driving me crazy with how slow it has been going.

1 harddrive is for time machine and the other is to store all of my music and other big files.

In the last 2 days I had to restore all of the music on my iphone and my time machine harddrive died and had to get a new one. 2 days ago when I went to restore the music on my iphone (about 10gb) it took something like 5 hours to do. In the past i feel like ive done this in under an hour.

Right now i am running Time Machine for the first time on my new harddrive. There is 85GB it needs to back up. I think its been running for about 18 hours now and only 50GB has been backed up.

This is all being done wirelessly and I am on a MBP.

I have turned off and on the airport multiple times seeing it that would help. And nothing.

Any ideas or help would be amazing.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Hi,

I have the same issues. Except that I have a new MacBook Pro and an Airport Extreme Base Station since 2 weeks and i´m experiencing these slow transfer speeds from the start.

i am using this mac mini look alike USB hub from belkin - attached to the AEBS.

and my printer and my 2 newly bought 1,5 TB harddrives are plugged in to the usb hub.

my plan was to use one drive for time machine and the other for other large files and for sharing with PCs and other Macs in my household.

i formatted the two harddrives (Mac journaled) and did NOT create multiple partitions - just one per drive. i heard/read somewhere that the YEBS doesnt really "like" multiple partitions on harddrives.

my initial time machine backup took me 2,5 days (i could´nt believe it when i saw the transfer speeds the first time)!!!

and transferring data from windows 7 to one of the harddrives is nearly impossible and instable.

i am using the airport utilities on both platforms for setup.

i checked the cables.

i attached the harddrives locally via USB and (!!) eSATA. they worked like a charm.

i even tried attaching another USB hub. nothing changed.

i am really distressed.