intermittent internet problems with Time Capsule

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi

I have the following set up for internet in the UK. TalkTalk broadband (8 meg) through BT landline - Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL Ethernet Modem - Time Capsule - Wireless n to Macs.

I am experiencing two problems, one that a couple of times a day the Time Capsule starts flashing orange and in Airport Utility the problem generally appears to be with the PPPoE server. Sometimes the issue spontaneously resolves itself within a couple of minutes. Other times I have to restart both the TC and the modem and then I get a green light and everything works again. I was experiencing similar problems with a previous modem and specifically bought the Draytek modem which translates the PPPoA service from TalkTalk to PPPoE which the TC prefers (as i understand it), but still I am experiencing the same issue.

The second issue I am experiencing, which is a common experience, occurring maybe half the time I use the internet is that I need to reload web pages a lot to get them to load. So I might click on eBay say and the page doesn't seem to want to load at all, so I either cancel the loading or try clicking again on the bookmark again (or a link) and if i'm lucky it will then load quickly. If not I will have to try again. This seems to happen more with some websites than others, and emptying the cache seems to help, but the problem soon re-emerges.

I am not sure if these two issues are interrelated, but it all adds up to a fairly frustrating online experience. I am not sure whether the issue is with the ISP, the modem, the TC, or some combination of these. I experience the same problems regardless of which Mac I am using (there are three in the house) and which browser, so I am presuming that the issue is not with the Macs, but why clearing the cache would help I am not sure.

I would be grateful for any help in resolving these issues

Thanks

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nick_harambee View Post

Hi

I have the following set up for internet in the UK. TalkTalk broadband (8 meg) through BT landline - Draytek Vigor 120 ADSL Ethernet Modem - Time Capsule - Wireless n to Macs.

Nick

Are you actually at Mac OS X 10.5.2? That's the OS level needed for the first generation TC. There have been firmware updates to TC, multiple updates to Airport since 10.5.2. First step, get updated to Mac OX 10.5.8. Go to Apple.com/support/ and get the combo update for Mac OS X 10.5.8. Beyond that, I'm not knowledgeable about your type of ISP setup.