TomTom for Apple iPhone released in U.S. App Store for $99

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A day after the TomTom navigation software saw an overseas roll out, the iPhone application hit North America and Europe and is now available for download in the App Store.

Maps for the U.S. and Canada ($99.99), Western Europe ($139.99), Australia ($79.99), and New Zealand ($94.99) are available in the U.S. In Europe, maps of the U.K. and Ireland are available for £59.99.

The product works with the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS, which include an integrated GPS receiver. It will reportedly also be compatible with the first-generation iPhone and the iPod touch once the separate combo hardware kit is made available. TomTom has not yet announced a price for the hardware package.

The TomTom iPhone application includes multi-touch pinch to zoom capabilities, rotates between portrait and landscape mode, seamlessly integrates with the phone's contact list, and has the ability to add locations. It also includes TomTom IQ Routes, which recommends the smartest possible trip based on the driving habits of others.

The application works in English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish and Turkish. It requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later. The U.S. and Canada maps are 1.21GB, Australia is 157MB, New Zealand is 85.6MB, and Western Europe weighs in at 1.44GB.

According to a TomTom press release, other features include:

Navigation software including fast route planning and clear voice instructions

Automatic re-routing if a turn is missed

Route demo or map of route when trip planning

Alternative route options if avoiding roadblocks, toll ways or looking for high occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes along route

6 million Points of Interest included

Night and day color mode for optimized screen visibility in varying light conditions

Change view settings (2D or 3D map display)

Points-of-interest search and call capabilities from iPhone

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Worthless. Ridiculous.

Co Pilot Live is every bit as good if not better and its $35. Get it. Forget Tom Tom, don't justify their ridiculous price gouging by paying what they ask.

Just because they are a "big" company doesn't mean they are offering what should be offered. Its too little for too much $$$. The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

Boycott Tom Tom and their nonsense. Make them learn what happens when you ignore the market and try to take advantage of obsessed iPhone users.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    £79.99 here in the UK for Western Europe. That's border-line acceptable, but stretching it... I'll have a closer look at the other apps available. Suggestions anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 129
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Well it is not that cheap, ofc the UK price also includes VAT which is never mentioned in the US price, still I go to South Africa 3 times a year and am waiting for someone to offer GPS with maps outside of Europe/USA etc, I don't mind paying for the maps but as they sell GPS prodcuts in other countries it would be nice to be able to buy the maps.
  • Reply 4 of 129
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Worthless. Ridiculous.

Co Pilot Live is every bit as good if not better and its $35.

You've bought both programs and compared them? Or, perhaps, you've got a link to a site that has?

Quote:

Just because they are a "big" company doesn't mean they are offering what should be offered. Its too little for too much $$$. The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.
    Quote:

Boycott Tom Tom and their nonsense. Make them learn what happens when you ignore the market and try to take advantage of obsessed iPhone users.

Seems a bit extreme. I've been waiting for this app and plan on purchasing one of the GPS turn by turn applications after some reputable source compares them for me.

I don't think your post qualifies as a reputable source. It seems biased.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    Actually the price is a bargain, plus it appears you actually get the maps. This is important because if you lose signal, you lose your navigation. Now, I'm not certain if the maps are included, but if they are than this is a bargain.

A note about TomTom: They do have a habit of abandoning old products that don't keep making money. I have a LifeDrive and TomTom MkII that cannot be updated. Both products had only been on the market 1 year. That's not a good track record.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Am I right in thinking this supports speed camera warnings, but not traffic avoidance?

Also, when is the mount coming out? That actually looks like a nice bit of equipment, as it includes not just some sort of GPS antenna, but also an FM transmitter and charging station.
  • Reply 7 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Actually the price is a bargain, plus it appears you actually get the maps. This is important because if you lose signal, you lose your navigation. Now, I'm not certain if the maps are included, but if they are than this is a bargain.

A note about TomTom: They do have a habit of abandoning old products that don't keep making money. I have a LifeDrive and TomTom MkII that cannot be updated. Both products had only been on the market 1 year. That's not a good track record.

Maps are included. That's why the US/Canada app is 1.21GB (which matches the size of the map file for other tomtom apps). What's great about having maps, is not just for losing signal but also to be able to use the phone while roaming (eg. I'm in Toronto, now with TomTom I'll be able to use the iPhone while driving through the US without paying a cent).

However, it's very expensive I'll admit that: the combo cradle + app is going to be just as expensive as buying a fullblown TomTom device :s

Also it doesn't seem to mention access to traffic data. Given that the phone has data connectivity, why didn't they add traffic info to it!?
  • Reply 8 of 129
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    TomTom France............69,99 eur

TomTom Europe............99,99

TomTom New Zealand....74,99

TomTom US..................79,99

TomTom Australia..........62,99
  • Reply 9 of 129
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.

No, the cradle is necessary for the 1st gen and any Touch, but will work with any of them and is supposedly going to have a stronger GPS receiver. While some may find the 3G[S] GPS to be good enough, I'm sure there are many cases in which it isn't and thus you'd want a better receiver. Also, not having the phone itself process the GPS signal means less heat would be generated by the phone, making it last longer.

If priced below $50, I may buy the dock before the app simply to get a nice looking cradle that does everything all other cradles out there currently do, but has the potential to do more if I chose to get the app.
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Ridiculously overpriced. Between this and the not-yet released hardware, a cheaper aletrnative is to just buy a stand-alone unit; they start at about $129.00.
  • Reply 11 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You've bought both programs and compared them? Or, perhaps, you've got a link to a site that has?

From reading the article I believe the cradle is for 1st gen iPhones and the iPod Touch.Seems a bit extreme. I've been waiting for this app and plan on purchasing one of the GPS turn by turn applications after some reputable source compares them for me.

I don't think your post qualifies as a reputable source. It seems biased.

Long story short, Tom Tom, because they are a Navigation Unit manufacturer, plan to charge iPhone users upwards of $180 for the "full package" GPS experience.

Its B.S.

CoPilot Live = $34. Go get it. GPS solution solved. Like most people, I already have a solution for mounting/charging in my vehicle. $34 and your TurnXTurn desires are solved WITHOUT buying the biggest and bestest thing that name brand advantage-taker has introduced.

Or you could be suckered in and pay 4 -5 times what's necessary to accomplish the same.

Biased? No, its called common sense.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    Does the GPS Location really work without connection to the net? Although any "normal" GPS does, I just found myself with the iPhone App "OffMaps" in Paris (downloaded the Paris Map preaviously to use it offline), but the GPS position was never resolved and shown in that app! Maybe that is only a problem with OffMaps, but I need to be sure to not have to connect to the net for a GPS localisation. Roaming Data charges are just ridiculous...
  • Reply 13 of 129
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

TomTom indeed happened to disconnect the support of some platforms mercilessly, having pissed off crowds of users.

Still, LifeDrive is the Palm product; not much to do with TomTom. It was Palm, who dropped this product line. TomTom's NAVIGATOR 5 was the gps software, which targeted this platform in the past (NAV 4 was not fully functional).

NAVIGATOR 6, which succeeded NAV 5, installs and works perfectly on LifeDrive. The maps for NAV 6 are still available in the TomTom store.

I still use the same combination. No any problems to mention.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    But No, I'm completely off base. I mean afterall, TomTom was given the spotlight at WWDC because they are simply the best right? It has nothing to do with them being the most marketable or recognizable name in the navigation industry, its because everything they touch is gold, and worth every penny. Yeah, i'm sure THAT was it.

And if Apple brought them to WWDC, then we know its Apple Approved! Why buy anything else from the riff raff? If you're not over paying for something Apple has approved, it just doesn't feel right does it?

--------------

Go ahead and buy the single most expensive navigation app in the app store, and then go out and buy the scam of lifetime called the TomTom iPhone cradle. Then while you're driving though your next tunnel your rest comfortably knowing that even though you will still lose GPS signal, you'll be picking it up 3/10ths of a second faster than the common iPhone on the other side.

Good grief you people are gullible.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BandiTT View Post

Does the GPS Location really work without connection to the net? Although any "normal" GPS does, I just found myself with the iPhone App "OffMaps" in Paris (downloaded the Paris Map preaviously to use it offline), but the GPS position was never resolved and shown in that app! Maybe that is only a problem with OffMaps, but I need to be sure to not have to connect to the net for a GPS localisation. Roaming Data charges are just ridiculous...

The GPS works fine without a data connection. I use my Canadian phone in the US all the time with the Navigon app for turn by turn with no data roaming charges
  • Reply 16 of 129
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    It is not worth for this prize. this app must be < 40$
  • Reply 17 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Actually they rolled out on the same "day", there's a small thing in between called the International Date Line which puts us one day ahead of you..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A day after the TomTom navigation software saw an overseas roll out, the iPhone application hit North America and Europe and is now available for download in the App Store.

• Reply 18 of 129
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    from macdaily news today

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...omments/22101/

a car kit should include the nav software and it should not have to be update every year

i agree 100 is TOO MUCH

but $39 or less, hey google make an app

it will however be the way the system is integrated into the car audio that will make it reasonable, unless i can convince my wife to hold the iphone which will take her away from her audio books--NOT!
  • Reply 19 of 129
    This is the exact reason multiple apps running at the same time needs to be employed. If you are driving using the TomTom software and a call comes in, the TomTom app disappears and you don't get driving instructions. Worthless purchase at this point.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The cradle is also a SCAM and a rip off, since the iPhone GPS is more than capable of accurate, excellent turn by turn with NO "enhancement" necessary.

The cradle will, at a minimum, function as a charger, hands-free caller, and integrated car audio device in addition to providing turn-by-turn directions.

Seems like the time to evaluate whether a product is "a SCAM and a rip off" would be sometime after it's available for retail purchase.