iMac 24 Intel HD bad...how restore from backups

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My Hard Drive is crashing per Hard Drive extended testing. I had noted in last 6 months certain strange things especially after software updates in which difficult in restarting. Now the OS X will not load even after working with Apple and running repairs of disc and permissions.

I am going to Apple Store with appointment to have them fix the problem.

My question is how to restore my backups which I have two main ones: the most current is .Mac Backup. My External Hard Drive was full backup but on July 5 2009.

With .Mac Backup, I can access via iDisk but not sure how to restore selectively rather than in total?

With external hard drive, I assume can pull up on desktop and select files and then move to iMac Hard Drive?

Thanks for any help and yes I will backup often in the future!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchfromdell View Post

My Hard Drive is crashing per Hard Drive extended testing. I had noted in last 6 months certain strange things especially after software updates in which difficult in restarting. Now the OS X will not load even after working with Apple and running repairs of disc and permissions.

I am going to Apple Store with appointment to have them fix the problem.

My question is how to restore my backups which I have two main ones: the most current is .Mac Backup. My External Hard Drive was full backup but on July 5 2009.

With .Mac Backup, I can access via iDisk but not sure how to restore selectively rather than in total?

With external hard drive, I assume can pull up on desktop and select files and then move to iMac Hard Drive?

Thanks for any help and yes I will backup often in the future!

How were you 'backing up'? TM, SuperDuper! or CCC?

How you backed up will determine how you restore.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Used Super Duper for External Hard Drive
  • Reply 3 of 3
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by switchfromdell View Post

Used Super Duper for External Hard Drive

Easy. Two ways actually.

When your iMac comes back with a new HDD (assuming that's what they'll do given the info you've provided) you will be prompted at set up to use migration assistant to transfer from another Mac. The migration assistant will see your SD clone as another Mac and will transfer all your stuff over.

The other way, and the one I would choose, is to plug in your HDD and restart holding down the option key. Then pick your external HDD to boot from. Once you've booted from the external drive, open SD and then copy your HDD to the iMac HDD. This is probably more reliable than using Migration assistant.

PS You can boot off the SD clone and continue using your iMac while you wait for Apple to check your machine. Its one advantage that SD has over TM. For shits and giggles, and to make sure my SD clones are good, I'll boot off my clone and run my iMac and MBP off the clone.