School shoppers choose netbooks over Apple, for now

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new study suggests students prefer low-cost netbooks over Apple's MacBook, but some believe the Mac-maker's long-rumored tablet could take a large portion of low-end laptop sales.

In a survey of 300 students headed back to school, Retrevo, an electronics product review search service, found 34 percent said they intend to buy a "small lightweight netbook," while 17 percent stated they will opt for an Apple MacBook. Most respondents intend to buy a full-sized, full-powered PC laptop, with 49 percent aligning with a more traditional Windows configuration.

While the 17 percent total for Apple fares worse than competing netbooks, it should be noted that the share among students is twice that of overall U.S. sales.

It is the rising popularity of netbooks that has led market research analysts like Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster to speculate that the yet-to-be-announced Apple tablet would earn an additional $1.2 billion in revenue for the company. Munster, who predicts the product will launch in early 2010, does not believe Apple's secret device will be a netbook or will be marketed as a netbook. But he does suggest the core strengths of a low-cost PC -- Web browsing and checking e-mail -- will be basic features of Apple's new offering, thus cutting into the netbook market.

The Retrevo survey finds that most laptop buyers (36 percent) intend to spend between $500 and $750, followed by the $750 to $1,000 price range (24 percent). The low-end market of below $500 came in third (22 percent), with the costliest option of $1,000 and up in last (18 percent). Users rated the most important features, in order: battery life, screen size, weight, ability to watch movies, style, and gaming.

With regards to the in-the-making tablet, a new report Wednesday from BusinessWeek reconfirms reports that Apple tested a number of screen sizes in development of the device. The story states that Apple has two prototypes of the iPod touch-like device: one with a 6-inch screen, and one larger. It also suggests the products could debut as soon as September. However, AppleInsider's own sources have firmly stated that a 10-inch device will launch in early 2010.

Whatever form the upcoming device takes, the latest survey on the popularity of netbooks suggests Apple could make an impact in the $500 to $1,000 price range, where 60 percent of responding students intend to spend their money on a laptop. That range is exactly where numerous analysts expect the upcoming tablet to be priced. Consider, also, the rumor that surfaced last week that the device would have two models, with one of them marketed toward education.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    did not expect them to buy the air. they don't need power to write essays or e-mail daddy for more money.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Announce the iTab, iPad, iSlab, MacBookTouch, or whatever in September for a January release. Stop these NetBooks now!
  • Reply 3 of 129
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    The statistics are interesting, but that Business Week story is total BS. Maybe there should be a rule that we don't take any rumour about new products from old "out of the loop" business publications seriously in future?

Has Business Week or any similar publication *ever* been right about a new product reveal? Seems to me they are pretty far off on every single prediction they make relative to anyone who's, you know ... in the actual computer business.
  • Reply 4 of 129
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Well really, what does the average college student need? Unless their major is in something multimedia or computer related, they probably only need something to surf the net, do their homework in a word processing or spreadsheet app, send/read e-mail, have a Skype video chat with their parents, etc. all of which can easily be done on a $300 netbook.

I bought my ASUS EEEPC 900HA netbook for $230 refurbished on eBay, and I consider it the best all-around portable computer I have ever owned.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    I have suggested to all college students that they go to school with a netbook and desktop computer. Sync the two when you get back to your room. You do not need huge power in the classroom. Just something to download your class notes, type notes, and record the lecture if you want. And its gotta fit on those tiny pull out desks they have. The netbook fits perfectly in this area. Apple makes no netbook, so it has to be a PC.

As for the desktop, I suggest they use what they want. Apple/PC, doesn't matter. The reason I don't suggest ONE laptop and that's it, is the fact that so many get stolen, or damaged over time. Expensive to replace, and a desktop is harder to steal. With two computers, given you do it right, you have a back up every night so if one computer dies, you aren't SOL in terms of your assignments. The cost isn't that bad either for the two (if you choose PC). My brother got a netbook and i7 PC for the same price as an iMac. He loves the two machines, one for the power and one for the portability. Its a great college system between the two! And was 1200 dollars. (Netbook: 400, i7: 800... he got a decent deal that should come around again soon.)

You could do the same by getting the white MB, and an iMac... but now you have spent roughly 2300 dollars. Syncing would be done manually, or via MobileMe, or some other pay for third party (unless someone can find me a free network sync tool for Mac. I've been looking for one for a while now actually!)

And if you take your class notes on your iPhone / iPod touch... I want to see your notes! Impress me.

(One note to those getting netbooks for school. Opt for the 6cell machines. They will last you all day. For those with a kick for gaming, wait till the ION netbooks fully arrive. Not fully a gaming or HD movie machine by any means, but much better than the 950 chip)
  • Reply 6 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Well really, what does the average college student need? Unless their major is in something multimedia or computer related, they probably only need something to surf the net, do their homework in a word processing or spreadsheet app, send/read e-mail, have a Skype video chat with their parents, etc. all of which can easily be done on a $300 netbook.

I bought my ASUS EEEPC 900HA netbook for $230 refurbished on eBay, and I consider it the best all-around portable computer I have ever owned.

My Aspire One is my main computer. I love it, and it works well, quick. Was the best laptop purchase I ever made. Got it for 300.
  • Reply 7 of 129
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    In a down economy this only makes sense that they would be looking to get a cheaper system. Apple snoozed and lost some potential sales by not addressing their competition's price points. They lowered prices a bit but not enough. Further every Macbook is a Pro system now so where's the cheap systems?
  • Reply 8 of 129
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I really dont see the appeal of the [rumored] apple tablet...

But then again, I said the same thing about the iPhone...
  • Reply 9 of 129
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

In a down economy this only makes sense that they would be looking to get a cheaper system. Apple snoozed and lost some potential sales by not addressing their competition's price points. They lowered prices a bit but not enough. Further every Macbook is a Pro system now so where's the cheap systems?

Apple purposely avoids the cheap computer market. They didn't snooze. Instead, they've watched and avoided the netbook phenomenon with eyes wide open.

Its also important to note that while netbooks have a lot of minds-hare and perhaps even units sold, they are not terribly profitable for manufacturers. Apple has always stayed out of this type of market.

(Note: I'm not making an assertion either way whether this was the right decision on Apple's part.)
  • Reply 10 of 129
    Quote:

True, true- Apple will be making up for a lost segment. Wasted all that D&D on the Air which totally blows in relation to its cost.
  • Reply 11 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

Apple doesn't do low-end. Nor do they need to. Macs are selling in record numbers. Apple is actually selling MORE Macs in this recession.

When there's an actual PROBLEM with Mac sales, then the netbook factor can be discussed. 17% of 300 students said they're going for a Macbook. That figure sounds about right. Looks like 34% of students aren't really able to afford what they'd like to and 49%, more or less as expected, will choose Windows - some of whom we can assume would rather be on a Mac.

So what else is new.
  • Reply 12 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Apple doesn't do low-end. Nor do they need to. Macs are selling in record numbers. Apple is actually selling MORE Macs in this recession.

When there's an actual PROBLEM with Mac sales, then the netbook factor can be discussed. 17% of 300 students said they're going for a Macbook. That figure sounds about right. Looks like 34% of students aren't really able to afford what they'd like to and 49%, more or less as expected, will choose Windows - some of whom we can assume would rather be on a Mac.

So what else is new.

Is the MacBook Air selling well? Do we actually know that for a fact?

Haven't seen a commercial for it since last year with that stupid interoffice envelope commercial hyping its thinness.
  • Reply 13 of 129
    stokessdstokessd Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Apple purposely avoids the cheap computer market. They didn't snooze. Instead, they've watched and avoided the netbook phenomenon with eyes wide open.

Its also important to note that while netbooks have a lot of minds-hare and perhaps even units sold, they are not terribly profitable for manufacturers. Apple has always stayed out of this type of market.

(Note: I'm not making an assertion either way whether this was the right decision on Apple's part.)

So true, the netbook is a device that costs about what a big iPod costs, and yet has the potential for way way way more support headaches. Plus cheap computers tarnish the brand

Apple doesn't want all the computer market, only the top portion. The profit to support cost ratio is the best there. Let the bottom feeders fight for the low end.

Sheldon
  • Reply 14 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post

I really dont see the appeal of the [rumored] apple tablet...

But then again, I said the same thing about the iPhone...

I was the same way. Windows Mobile seemed to offer the same or more than the rumoured iPhone include media integration. But I will say the iPhone changed how that was done.

Does Apple have another iPhone up its sleve or will it just be a Kindle meets iPod Touch. Only time will tell.
  • Reply 15 of 129
    owlboyowlboy Posts: 37member
    This will be until they realize they cant fricken type papers on the damn things without cramping up.
  • Reply 16 of 129
    Quote:

So what else is new.

That's hilarious- who are to assume what other people can and cannot afford, or what they would rather have? Maybe its just that- I know its hard to imagine- there are those who actually do want a non-Apple computer? You make yourself sound awfully haughty and arrogant, which, using your words, "is more or less expected."
  • Reply 17 of 129
    Quote:

Apple doesn't do low-end. Nor do they need to.

So what else is new.

Really- what's an iPod Shuffle then?

Isn't the MacMini supposed to be the "affordable" Mac?

Excuses , excuses- Netbooks are penetrating deeper and deeper into the public's consciousness- Apple missed the boat.

Instead Apple gave us - the Air????
  • Reply 18 of 129
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Is the MacBook Air selling well? Do we actually know that for a fact?

Haven't seen a commercial for it since last year with that stupid interoffice envelope commercial hyping its thinness.

I don' think it is. Does it really need to? The Air doen't really seem to be a factor. Its price point seems to have made it a novelty. But who's talking about the Air anyway??

It really all depends on whether this buying habit of students *at this moment* will actually affect Apple's next quarter. It seems that students buying habits in this survey are very nearly the same as they always were. It isn't that students are choosing netbooks OVER Apple. They're simply buying fewer Macbooks for pretty obvious reasons.

Netbooks have been selling in great numbers for a while now. And really, they have absolutely nothing to do with Macbooks. Not even in the same calss in any way, shape or form.
  • Reply 19 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

My Aspire One is my main computer. I love it, and it works well, quick. Was the best laptop purchase I ever made. Got it for 300.

I love the portability and versatility of my netbook. It's bout the size and weight of an average hard-back book, so I can take it just about anywhere.

I can hold it by one corner with one hand and not feel like the plastic is going to break or that my hand is going to fall off. It's plenty fast for my needs.

Yet, when I want more of a desktop computing experience, I simply plug in my USB keyboard and mouse and hook it up to a monitor.

I run a dual boot setup with Win XP and Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

Best $230 I ever spent.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post

This will be until they realize they cant fricken type papers on the damn things without cramping up.

USB Keyboard + USB Mouse + monitor = problem solved