Clean up the F*ing spam

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
OK

I've been dutifully reporting each spam post which worked for a while.

Now it seems that the mods are all asleep or on vacation.

I know it's hard to get rid of everything but please remove the spam that's been reported.

And don't ignore the spam posts which have been replied to, the spammers are getting smart and posting replies to bump the threads and make it harder to remove.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dcsimages,

How much $$ have you donated to the operators of this site? How much were you charged for access to the site?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the operator(s) as well as moderators all have day jobs. I probably spend more time logged in here than they do! I'd rather deal with a few spam posts and keep an informative, interesting forum that's free to access.

So lighten up and allow them to go on holiday once a year!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think he's donating his time by volunteering to report spam. A valuable service he's providing for free to everyone. He should be commended. I'd love to see more volunteers with the power to knock spammers off the site so we'd be protected 24/7.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

dcsimages,

How much $$ have you donated to the operators of this site? How much were you charged for access to the site?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the operator(s) as well as moderators all have day jobs. I probably spend more time logged in here than they do! I'd rather deal with a few spam posts and keep an informative, interesting forum that's free to access.

• Reply 3 of 5
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

dcsimages,

Yeah! What spamsandwich said!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Give it a rest already Dave. How many threads are you going to start complaining about the spam??

If you look back at one of your own posts, Marco Polo film, it should have been deleted because you were promoting a project of yours... spam "is the abuse of an electronic messaging system to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately". Your post about your Marco Polo film was clearly unsolicited to a bulk audience and should have been considered spam and therefore deleted.

I say relax people. The spam on this site gets cleaned up fairly quickly. There's no way to prevent it 100% so just deal with it. I'd bet that most of your email accts get 10 times the amount of spam each day and you deal with it. Plus, the spam posts are usually easy to gloss over and/or pick up on without ever needing to open the post up. Just keep reporting it and the mods will remove it within 24-48 hrs. You can't expect them to sit at the computer just hitting refresh every 10 seconds waiting for a spam post to show up so they can delete it.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Spam bothers me too and I have been reporting it as well, although I admit I would be willing to donate to this site to help keep it running.