10.6 install ???

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Quick question, I ordered the $29 upgrade disc. That is an upgrade, as in I have to have 10.5 right?

I want to do a clean installation of 10.6, can I do it with this $29 disc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yes, you can. After upgrading though I'd encourage not doing a clean install. Upgrading was so painless.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yes, you can. After upgrading though I'd encourage not doing a clean install. Upgrading was so painless.

My computer is just full of crap. Lots of programs I dont need, files, bla bla bla. I upgraded from Tiger to leopard, so a full install would be nice.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Go for it then. Some people derive some satisfaction from doing full installs; I know I do (when I'm not doing it because my Mac died on me).
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Do you mean that I can format my drive, pop in 10.6 and do a clean install, or does the disc search for an installed 10.5, or does it ask for the 10.5 DVD briefly?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Do you mean that I can format my drive, pop in 10.6 and do a clean install, or does the disc search for an installed 10.5, or does it ask for the 10.5 DVD briefly?

I'm not 100% positive about it, but from what I heard you can go "completely clean". Though don't hold me to it.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    If I remember correctly and if my source was correct, you can do a clean install (and I presume an archive and install) from the Snow Leopard install disk. But you have to exit the Installer and use the Disk Utility that's on the install disk. Because you are using Disk Utility I assume that you can reformat your system disk at the same time.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Because you are using Disk Utility I assume that you can reformat your system disk at the same time.

Sweet, I hope your right because thats just as I hoped it would be. Made a back up of all my music, docs, and videos so I am just waiting for the disc to show up