Apple Snow Leopard support, problem software list available

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Coinciding with today's release of Apple's latest operating system upgrade, Snow Leopard, support documents, printer drivers, and a list of incompatible software have been made available to ease the transition.

The new official support documents on Apple's Web site provide info on Finder and the desktop, printing, and known incompatible software.

Incompatible software

By default, Snow Leopard disables some software that is known to be incompatible with the new operating system. Upon installation, the OS will move the problematic applications to a folder named "Incompatible Software" on the user's hard drive. In addition, Snow Leopard prevents users from opening that software.

The following applications are moved to the "Incompatible Software" folder by default upon installation:

Parallels Desktop, ver. 2.5 and earlier

McAfee VirusScan, ver. 8.6

Norton AntiVirus ver. 11.0

Internet Cleanup 5 ver. 5.0.4

Application Enhancer ver. 2.0.1 and earlier

Unsanity

AT&T Laptop Connect Card ver. 1.0.4, 1.0.5, 1.10.0

launch2net ver, 2.13.0

iWOW plug-in for iTunes ver. 2.0

Missing Sync for Palm Sony CLIE Driver ver. 6.0.4

TonePort UX8 Driver ver. 4.1.0

ioHD Driver ver. 6.0.3

Silicon Image SiI3132 Drivers ver. 1.5.16.0

In addition, the following software is restricted from opening within Snow Leopard:

Parallels Desktop ver. 3.0

VirusBarrier X4 ver. 10.4.4 and earlier

SPSS 17 ver. 17.1

Director MX 2004 ver. 10.2

EyeTV ver. 3.0.0 to 3.1.0

Ratatouille ver. 1.1

Aperture ver. 2.1.1 and earlier

Keynote ver. 2.0.2 and earlier

AirPort Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow ver. 4.2.5

New printer drivers

Apple states that printing with Snow Leopard is "easier and better than ever." The following new features have been added to the operating system's printing capabilities:

Apple's Software Update will automatically provide you with third-party printer software and updates.

"Nearby Printers" is a list of available printers that will appear right inside your printer dialog box. Adding a nearby printer is just a selection away.

You can simply connect a USB printer and the print queue will be automatically created.

You can create a PDF document from any application and have an automated workflow process it.

Apple's support downloads page has a list of driver downloads for a number of different printers. Made available this week were drivers for Xerox, Lexmark, Canon, FujiXerox, Epson, HP, Lanier, Gestetner, Gutenprint, Ricoh, Brother, Samsung, NRG, Infotec, and Savin.

More help with Snow Leopard, including downloads, manuals and tutorials, is available at the official Mac OS X 10.6 support page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 114
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    can you install the $29 version on a blank hard disk? does it ask for a previous version CD or DVD?

want to try it out but don't want to spend the money for a Mac yet
  • Reply 2 of 114
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    The list of incompatible software are software you shouldn't have installed in your mac anyways.

Surprisingly, MS Word for Mac does work in SL even thought it didn't work in Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 114
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    what is the difference between incompatable and wont open in the software?

I have parallels 3.0, and am deeply curious whether I will need to spend X$$ for an upgrade, and time reinstalling my windows partitions just to do the SL upgrade...

what does this mean?
  • Reply 4 of 114
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    As the owner of a design studio I want to upgrade my systems but still a little wary about compatibility with Adobe CS3. I think CS4 was not worth the upgrade at the time and have been happy with 3. Hopefully Adobe will catch up soon (wishful thinking)

Anyone had time to test and had luck with CS3 compatibility ? Particularly Illustrator + Hot door's Cad Tools plug in ?

Really wanting to upgrade to Snow Leopard but don't want our productivity to come to a screeching halt. Thanks for any feedback.
  • Reply 5 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwyatt View Post

As the owner of a design studio I want to upgrade my systems but still a little wary about compatibility with Adobe CS3. I think CS4 was not worth the upgrade at the time and have been happy with 3. Hopefully Adobe will catch up soon (wishful thinking)

You and I are on the same boat. I know PS CS3 worked OK. I was hoping all CS3 apps will work OK under SL. I'm not too happy about Adobe not testing CS3 even people bought it over a year ago.

CS4 isn't worth to upgrade either.
  • Reply 6 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

what is the difference between incompatable and wont open in the software?

I have parallels 3.0, and am deeply curious whether I will need to spend X$$ for an upgrade, and time reinstalling my windows partitions just to do the SL upgrade...

what does this mean?

Anything in the list will become incompatible. Now that your parallels doesn't work perhaps it will be a good time to erase that windows partition forever and never again use windows. Trust me, you will be a happier person as a result.
  • Reply 7 of 114
    Quote:

Anyone had time to test and had luck with CS3 compatibility ? Particularly Illustrator + Hot door's Cad Tools plug in ?

Really wanting to upgrade to Snow Leopard but don't want our productivity to come to a screeching halt. Thanks for any feedback.

Just get CS4. This website has it for free:

thepiratebay.org
  • Reply 8 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

can you install the $29 version on a blank hard disk? does it ask for a previous version CD or DVD?

So what would you run it on?
  • Reply 9 of 114
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Surprisingly, MS Word for Mac does work in SL even thought it didn't work in Leopard.

Word 2008 works fine on Leopard for me. Which version did you have a problem with?
  • Reply 10 of 114
    jwyattjwyatt Posts: 93member
    Quote:

thepiratebay.org

Thanks for the advice but I've never been to keen on stealing software. That said, If I was going to do it I'd steal from Adobe they don't seem to have much problem stealing from their base.
  • Reply 11 of 114
    trboydentrboyden Posts: 165member
    Quote:

thepiratebay.org

Hopefully that was meant as a joke.

Because otherwise it was a really imbecile response on a sensitive subject for design and print shops that are forced to pay thousands of extra dollars for the tools they need because of people who pirate software.
  • Reply 12 of 114
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Much more extensive compatibility list here

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/
  • Reply 13 of 114
    A more comprehensive unofficial compatibility list is here
  • Reply 14 of 114
    Beat me to it
  • Reply 15 of 114
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    One thing I would be curious is whether the applications which are marked as having issues, do so using the 64-bit kernel or both the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels?

Certain applications such as Parallels I suspect probably only fail with the 64-bit kernel, since some of the included drivers only work in 32-bit, but I will need real world usage to validate this.
  • Reply 16 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

The $29 version is an upgrade, I'm not sure if you need leopard installed or if you just need the leopard dvd.
  • Reply 17 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trboyden View Post

Hopefully that was meant as a joke.

Because otherwise it was a really imbecile response on a sensitive subject for design and print shops that are forced to pay thousands of extra dollars for the tools they need because of people who pirate software.

I guess the question is, if it's that crucial to you for the tools to be compatible why would you not either wait until all the issues with the new OS are wrung out, save up some money for new tools, or just keep using leopard?
  • Reply 18 of 114
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

So what would you run it on?

my homebuilt PC that currently runs a beta version of Windows 7 that's expired and i haven't had the time to install the RTM

wife uses it to sync her iphone and she's wanted a Mac for years but doesn't know anything about the current ones
  • Reply 19 of 114
    Quote:

I will give you the bottom line. I've been using the final build of SL for some time and Photoshop CS3 totally blows chunks with it. Things like opening with differing color profiles, save for web, etc... the list goes on. I put on CS4 and all is well. Don't upgrade to SL unless you are ready to go right to CS4. No kidding.
  • Reply 20 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monkeyborg View Post

The $29 version is an upgrade, I'm not sure if you need leopard installed or if you just need the leopard dvd.

You can install it on a newly partitioned hard drive with no other dvds needed. You can even wipe tiger off and wap snow leopard straight on for $29