HELP needed - Migration Assistant - Apps vs 3rd party?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a problem. If i have logic 8 and rapid weaver installed on a partition 10.5.7 and do a migration from that to a disk partition that's 10.5.8 with logic 9 and NO rapid weaver. What happens? Will osx leave logic 9 alone, copy both, what about my iPhoto library, which I will back up but would prefer that any duplicates, it just skips.

Wondering the best advice?

Right now I have a MBP with Tiger/Windows Bootcamp, internal.

500 MG, eSata, Firewire 800/400/USB that has 10.5.7 and 10.5.8

1 TB with partitions copied 10.5.8, 10.6 install DVD, Free Space

160GB USB Free Space drive.

Want to get rid of copies, just have once 10.8, one Snow, Free space and time machine.

How would you do this?

Advice needed.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Friendly bump.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I have a problem. If i have logic 8 and rapid weaver installed on a partition 10.5.7 and do a migration from that to a disk partition that's 10.5.8 with logic 9 and NO rapid weaver. What happens? Will osx leave logic 9 alone, copy both, what about my iPhoto library, which I will back up but would prefer that any duplicates, it just skips.

Wondering the best advice?

Right now I have a MBP with Tiger/Windows Bootcamp, internal.

500 MG, eSata, Firewire 800/400/USB that has 10.5.7 and 10.5.8

1 TB with partitions copied 10.5.8, 10.6 install DVD, Free Space

160GB USB Free Space drive.

Want to get rid of copies, just have once 10.8, one Snow, Free space and time machine.

How would you do this?

Advice needed.

Thanks.

• Reply 2 of 2
    Off the top of my head, it will copy both Logic and RapidWeaver if you've selected applications to migrate. If Logic has the same name (like Final Cut does) it will probably rename the one it's moving, that's what it used to do with folders of applications in the Tiger days. However, it shouldn't matter since you can always re-install your Logic from the original installation DVDs if it happened to overwrite the newer version, right?