A question about licenses

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I was thinking about this a lot recently and thought I'd put the question to the community.

As I noted in another recent thread, I have a late 2007(Nov) Santa Rosa MBP.

It shipped with a Tiger OS DVD and a Leopard "up to date" DVD.

I have now purchased and installed Snow Leopard(and loving it!).

I now have come to wonder about my Tiger/Leopard License(s).

Am I now free to use Tiger &/or Leopard on another system?

Would this be breaking any EULA?

I know some don't care but I would appreciate any feedback. It is important to me that I am not breaking any rules.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Interesting... if it were a full retail copy, I'd say there was no question... you are free to use it on any one Apple computer of your choosing. The question is, does that also apply to the OS files that shipped with the computer?... do they carry the same EULA that a retail copy does?

Don't know the exact answer, though, I'd lean towards saying you are free to use that Leo "up to date" on another computer... as long as it's only installed on one machine at a time! (After all, you owned the license to Leo BEFORE you bought SL, and you bought an entire NEW license when you purchased SL, so you still own the license for the Leo version of the OS.)

Of course, you may want to consult a lawyer... though the consult charge will probably amount to more than the cost of just buying another OSX retail license!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I haven't read the EULA, but certainly IMHO you are justified in using Tiger/Leopard on another machine (but only one).