wireless network killed by snow leopard ?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hi

this is more of a very open ended question to see if anyone knows an answer, but I just uploaded snow leopard onto my mbp (early09) and all is great until I try and connect to my wifi, which it does but at the same time brings down the whole system so no computer can connect to the Internet the only way to fix it is to reset the wireless modem and turn off airport on the mbp. does anyone know why this might happen like hardware compitablity or is it a glitch other people are having ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The same thing happened to me. After the Snow Leopard update my MBP would not connect to the internet although I was on my wireless network. My wife and son's laptops (PC) did not have a problem connecting to the internet. I restarted the cable modem and the Apple base station. No luck. While it does not bring my wireless network down I still cannot connect to the internet. When I plug in the ethernet cable I am on no problem. It is just me and just while on wireless. Can anybody help out there???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikeme View Post

hi

this is more of a very open ended question to see if anyone knows an answer, but I just uploaded snow leopard onto my mbp (early09) and all is great until I try and connect to my wifi, which it does but at the same time brings down the whole system so no computer can connect to the Internet the only way to fix it is to reset the wireless modem and turn off airport on the mbp. does anyone know why this might happen like hardware compitablity or is it a glitch other people are having ?

• Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

hi

Did you do a clean install?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    It was an upgrade installation of Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Quote:

hi

I am having a network problem as well. My wireless network will connect but it cuts out shortly after connection. It will connect again for a couple of seconds and then cuts out again. I did an upgrade as opposed to a clean install when I installed Snow Leopard and I have restarted my MacBookPro, airport base station, and have no problems with any of my other connected computers. I am running 2.16 GHz and 3 Gig Ram. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    There is a rather lengthly string over on the Apple discussion forums on this.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32139&tstart=0

Apparently, creating a new network location is the fix. I will try it when I get home.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    well good and bad news, i managed to get the internet working and not crashing by installing the airport card and reinstalling it which managed to not crash my network when i joined but still couldnt access the internet.

the only way i managed to get it all to work nicely was by buying a new wifi modem as my old one was admittedly prehistory, only problem now is i have an internet connection but my mbp says it isnt connected to a network and it just keeps looking for a network and none of my other macs can locate my upgraded mbp so :S its become some ghost computer now :P

but i just did an upgrade instead of a clean install :S and thanks for that apple support page hopefully apple will fix this soon \
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Creating an new location solved the problem within 2 minutes. I am all fixed up now.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    dsosbdsosb Posts: 52member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gvegas View Post

There is a rather lengthly string over on the Apple discussion forums on this.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....32139&tstart=0

Apparently, creating a new network location is the fix. I will try it when I get home.

Thanks very much for the thread! I created a new location and I am running fine now!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    I just installed SL without a problem. Reading this post prior to installment I just turned my Airport off. Then, I installed SL. Turned Airport on again. It recognized my home network and... Viola! My Safari was up and running. All my saved websites were there.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gvegas View Post

It was an upgrade installation of Snow Leopard.

Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install!

Why doesn't anyone listen to advice? I swear there should be a rule that you should not be allowed to post on this forum with problems unless you've done a clean install.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install, Clean install!

Why doesn't anyone listen to advice? I swear there should be a rule that you should not be allowed to post on this forum with problems unless you've done a clean install.

I did 3 upgrades with no issues. Why clean install when I don't have to. 2/3 were cloned first... I see no problem with upgrading Leopard to Snow Leopard. Everybody has issues from time to time.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintoshtoffy View Post

That is not something I want to do. Reinstall all my software register the serial #s and set up all my passwords, key chain etc, etc. That's just crazy talk. Just to try to solve a wireless problem? No Thanks.

But I do have one question on SL and wireless. I did have a new location and I was experiencing disconnection only when it went to sleep. I edited the locations and added it back into my default Home profile but same thing happens - disconnects after a while when asleep. This is frustrating because I often log in to my home machine while I'm at work and now I'm unable to do so.

Any help appreciated.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    My problem is that without warning, I'll have an extremely reduced wireless range. I've been able to get an internet connection by sitting right next to the router, but otherwise nothing.

I've been able to get the wireless working again temporarily by using Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to renew the DHCP license. This seems to work for several days and then the problem resurfaces. Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner also has some tools for cleaning other internet caches which may be useful... and it's free.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Did you resolve this issue?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonahwy View Post

My problem is that without warning, I'll have an extremely reduced wireless range. I've been able to get an internet connection by sitting right next to the router, but otherwise nothing.

I've been able to get the wireless working again temporarily by using Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner to renew the DHCP license. This seems to work for several days and then the problem resurfaces. Snow Leopard Cache Cleaner also has some tools for cleaning other internet caches which may be useful... and it's free.