EBay

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ever place a bid on something and think you've won and then some sneaky little shit comes in and places a bid 1 minute before the auction closes?

Well, I had a bid on a VCR for $59, it held for 2 days, then 1 minute before the auction closed I get an email stating that I've been outbid by $1. By the time I got back to the auction it was too late. I emailed the sneaky prick and told him I hope the VCR breaks on him

Ebay should extend an auction by 10 minutes if theres a last second bid. I'm quite ticked off............................................... ....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    u should kick his ass

thats what i do whenever people piss me off...

either that, or i kill them...

unfortunately, my work is never done...
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I won something by a few cents a week ago today on eBay, not a VCR though.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    eBay requires that YOU be the last person to bid. i hate that. You either have to put an unreasonably high bid in to keep people from outbidding you or youahve to watch it like a hawk at the last few seconds.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    I just got a reply from EBAY. They call it 'sniping'. The thing that gets me is that they allow this. They basically said 'sorry'. I basically wrote back saying 'screw Ebay'. Like they care, one unhappy customer doesn't mean squat to those asswipes. If I could, I'd smack that sneaky weasel in the face. To make matters worse, there were 2 CVR's being sold from the same guy and I had bids on both. Guess what-the same sneaky son of a bitch got both of them!............................................. .....
  • Reply 5 of 20
    By the way, heres his email address if you want to spam the hell out of him! Macusers, unite!

Removed by moi

.................................................. .........

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: steve666 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Wow, publishing his e-mail account because he's clever.

Sniping is perfectly legal. If you want to participate in an online auctions ervice that has auction extensions, bid on Yahoo! ... otherwise deal.

He waits till the last possible moment to bid, you few comfortable with a reasonably low bid. He also lessens the risk of having his lowest successful bid being outbid.

You don't want the VCR anyway, it was probably assembled in Mexico.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Uh, that's how most people do their bidding on eBay man... what are you bitching about? Look at most auctions, and you'll see most action is in the last half an hour.

I don't bid too often until an auction is about to close. Why would you bid early and get the price up right away?

Some people like to bid early and forget about it, I'd rather add the auction to My Auctions, then keep an eye on it. If it's about to end, I'll go and see what's happening.... and make a bid with a minute or so left. Lots of times it doesn't work, and the high bidder still has room for eBay to proxy bid for him, but it sometimes does. That's how it's done man, sorry.

If it's an item you really want, and you haven't bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay, then you should be sitting there refreshing the page in the last few minutes. If you are going to do the proxy bidding thing the right way, you should be bidding the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item, not a lower amount you "hope" won't get beaten, and forget about it. If someone does snipe you in the end you won't care, because it's more than you wanted to pay anyway, right?

BTW that's pretty lame publishing his email address here, the guy didn't do a thing wrong.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Dude, sniping is the only way to win an auction on ebay. I've gotten 5 out of the 6 items I've always wanted there... and did it by "sniping".

I beat someone out of a camera lens by 10 seconds once. Sweet!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Dude, you're just pissed at yourself for some bad eBaying on your part. You bid up to $78 on the one auction, but got beat at only $59 on the second one. On that $59 auction, you had 3 minutes and 8 seconds after his bid to get in with a higher bid. That's forever on eBay man! Shit, that's time enough for a dozen or more bids. When the price is that good, you have to be there waiting it out for the last 10 minutes, period.

If you wait until the end to make your first bid, you can keep the price from creeping up on no reserve auctions, and end up with a better price. Most people wait until the last day to bid.

Oh well, I'm sure there will be tons more auctions like this to win. Just make sure you're there for the final 10 minutes next time man.
  • Reply 10 of 20
  • Reply 11 of 20
    eBay should come up with new auction rules. For example close an auction 10 minutes after the last bid. That way no one can snipe. I guess the auction could go on forever but you could find a way to deal with that too.

A real auction has "going once .. going twice...SOLD". But you don't have that on line.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Bitch bitch moan moan. Do you understand what an auction is? It sucks to think you have it won and then not, but that's the way it goes. I sually don't bid on an item until the last day or so. Nothing really happens until the end anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Ever place a bid on something and think you've won and then some sneaky little shit comes in and places a bid 1 minute before the auction closes?

Well, I had a bid on a VCR for $59, it held for 2 days, then 1 minute before the auction closed I get an email stating that I've been outbid by $1. By the time I got back to the auction it was too late. I emailed the sneaky prick and told him I hope the VCR breaks on him

Ebay should extend an auction by 10 minutes if theres a last second bid. I'm quite ticked off............................................... ....</strong><hr></blockquote>

that sneaky little shit is me. I always do that. I get what I want. It works. you should have put a higher maximum bid
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

You don't want the VCR anyway, it was probably assembled in Mexico. [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

Actually, it was made in Japan, thats why I wanted it. The older machines were so much better than the new ones. I didn't really expect anyone to email him, thats why i put the smily face, but I was so mad at the time I was hoping someone would!............................................ .............
  • Reply 15 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Dude, you're just pissed at yourself for some bad eBaying on your part. You bid up to $78 on the one auction, but got beat at only $59 on the second one. On that $59 auction, you had 3 minutes and 8 seconds after his bid to get in with a higher bid. That's forever on eBay man! Shit, that's time enough for a dozen or more bids. When the price is that good, you have to be there waiting it out for the last 10 minutes, period.

If you wait until the end to make your first bid, you can keep the price from creeping up on no reserve auctions, and end up with a better price. Most people wait until the last day to bid.

Oh well, I'm sure there will be tons more auctions like this to win. Just make sure you're there for the final 10 minutes next time man. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I really had 3 minutes? I was in front of the computer when ebay emailed me that I was outbid and went straight to the auction and it was closed when I got there-that sucks.

I'm new to ebay so I'm learning alot here from you guys, I appreciate it. Now I'll know better the next time. I figured it was like a real auction, you know 'going once, twice,......' I always figured if someone outbid my max price at the end I'd have a chance to raise it if I felt like paying a little more. Oh well, live and learn............................................. .....
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Sniping is the only way to win.

There are just so many people out there, everyone who comes across an auction in the last minute or two thinks "Wow, maybe I should have a go at that".

Of course, now I have a closet full of surplus fire alarm equipment (anyone want it ), but...it seemed like a good idea at the time!
  • Reply 17 of 20
    In real auctions as Scottt H., describes, you have extensions, however, on eBay, you have proxy bidding to combat that.

Just put in the highest bid you are willing to pay. If the seller is committing fraud and boosting up the sale price, you can file a complaint.

Or you can snipe.

Or you can participate in auctions with time extensions, like those on Yahoo!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Thanks again for all the info, I will be wiser next time. You know, after I cooled down I realized it was stupid to get mad at the guy who won-he just knew what he was doing. I emailed him and apologized. Ebay did email me a customer suggestion and comment form-I let them have it instead. They should get rid of sniping, but if thats what i have to do to win, I'll do it!............................................... .....
  • Reply 19 of 20
    The more I think about the more I think I'm right. Under the current system not everyone gets a fair shot at bidding. They should some up with some virtual auctioneer software. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The bids would go higher too. Maybe I should shut up and patent the idea.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Auction extensions already exist. It is not a new idea. It's just that most online bidders probably don't care. If they want an item, they'll snipe. It's not something hard to figure out. Without prior experience with eBay bidding, sniping was natural and logical.

Just think about it this way. Proxy bidding allows you to put in the maximum amount you are willing to pay. If you want an item enough, you'll get it. If someone wants it more, they'll get it. You don't automatically pay the maximum. If your max bid is $1000, and the previous max bid was $600, you are shown as the high bidder with $605, or whatever bid increment eBay uses in that dollar range. Until someone bids more than $1000, you will continue to be the high bidder with the minimum dollar amount needed to win the auction.

How does that not make sense?

As I said before, the only problem is with sellers using fake bidders, or even other bidders who never really intend to pay. This effects all auctions, not just the ones with no time extensions.