Favorite Holiday Song

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My favorite song is Christmas Eve in Washington, by Maura Sullivan.

What's your favorite(s)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Either Grandma Got Runover By a Reindeer by Elmo and Patsy or The Chanukah Song (Part 2 is better than Part 1) by Adam Sandler.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    JINGLE BELLS!

• Reply 3 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    "O Holy Night". Can bring a tear to my eye everytime.

A beautiful song with a great melody.

I have an mp3 of Martina McBride singing it and it absolutely gives me chills!

:eek:

And it's about the ONLY Christmas song I do like, so go figure...

Oops...I take that back! I've always liked "Little Drummer Boy" also, for the same reasons as above.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Damnit, EmAn! You beat me to both of those classics!

Other favorites include Christmas at Ground Zero and The Night Santa Went Crazy, both by Weird Al Yankovic.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    oh, what the heck-- I'm in the mood now so I think I'll recite some of Al's lyrics from memory (from memory, so don't quote me! )

down in the workshop

all the elves were makin toys

for the gentile girls

and the gentile boys

when the boss busted in

he nearly scared them half to death

with a rifle in his hand

and cheap whiskey on his breath

from his beard to his toes

he was covered with ammo

like a big, fat, drunk,

disgruntled yule-tide Rambo

and he smiled as he said,

with a twinkle in his eye,

"Merry Christmas to all-

now you're all gonna die!!"

the night Santa went crazy

the night St. Nick went insane

he realised he'd been

gettin a raw deal

something finally must have

snapped in his brain.

• Reply 6 of 16
    U2 - Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home)

Silent Night

O' Holy Night

Jingle Bells
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I've worked up pretty cool chord melody/jazzy/Chet Atkins-esque arrangements of quite a few of my favorite Christmas songs on guitar and this time of year, I have fun kinda relearning and working the cobwebs out of them and playing them.

I was lying in bed last night at about midnight and was playing "The First Noel" while laying flat on my back with the lights off and the rain pouring down outside.

• Reply 8 of 16
    Bleeearrrrrggghhhhh, I hate all Christmas songs. And holiday songs in general. Yarr. They absolutely make me want to drink Drano.

Ones I do like are Silver Bells, O Holy Night (there's a good song). And, even though I despise self-conscious parody songs, I'm fond of "It's hard to be a Jew (On Christmas)" from South Park.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Damnit, EmAn! You beat me to both of those classics!

Other favorites include Christmas at Ground Zero and The Night Santa Went Crazy, both by Weird Al Yankovic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Two wonderful songs! I like the night santa went crazy better. "And he took out a flamethrower and bbq'd Blitzen. Then he took a big bite and said 'it tastes just like chicken'" It brings a tear to my eye, such poetic lyics
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    For traditional carols I like Good King Wenceslas.

As far as contemporary, I love Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, as sung by John Denver and Rolf of the Muppets. In all seriousness, that album is the only Christmas one I can listen to more than once a season.

"A Christmas Together" check it out!

Jeff
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Carol of the Bells, as performed by Trans-Siberian Orchestra under the title "Sarajevo"
  • Reply 12 of 16
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>It brings a tear to my eye, such poetic lyics </strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you! I'm glad someone else can appreciate the more modern carols.

I have to agree with wyntir when It comes to traditional holiday songs. Bleeearrrrrggghhhhh!! Those things are so tired and over-used that they've just lost their special meaning, IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    **** Christmas! - FEAR
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    "You're All I want for Chrismast." The Persuasions.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I just thought of another that I really like, although it's technically probably not a true Christmas song:

"2000 Miles" by the Pretenders.

Dreamy, wistful and bittersweet...and it totally sets a mood for me. Perfect "snow falling on a gray day" music.

If I ever got a digital camcorder and made a holiday-oriented iMovie, THAT would be the song playing on the soundtrack. I've already planned it all out!