Can Anyone Recommend a FAST External HD?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey,

I just put together a new home recording studio for myself and I'm looking for a really fast (10,000 or 15,000 rpm) HD to connect to my Macbook Pro. All instruments and effects are VST and my setup consists of an M-Audio Axiom 61 midi controller, and I'm running Ableton Live 8, along with Ministry of Rock, Omnisphere, Sampler, Kore, Kontakt, Reason and a pretty big REX2 library.

Omnisphere and Ministry of Rock are both system hogs, with both of them relying on the HD for performance. My Macbook Pro has a 7200 rpm drive in it, but I'm looking to offload everything except Ableton Live to the external HD.

I was hoping some of you might have recommendations for specific brands that I can look for. My budget isn't very big, $500 max, for something in the 500 GB range or more. Firewire 800 or 400 preferably.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You could try a MyBook Studio II in striped RAID configuration. The spindle speed of the drives isn't 10 k, but the striping does lead to high performance.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    If you want really fast, get a Velociraptor and an eSATA card. It would likely run you no more than $350 or so, but you would be limited to a 300GB drive.