Egypt open's its big Mouth...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Or at least its State Media did. With people like this reporting to their masses on state sanctioned and run airwaves it is no wonder that terrorism is rampant there.

<a href="http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/ap/20011211/en/attacks_egypt_t"; target="_blank">This story says it all.</a>

Here is one quote from the Egyptian reporter.

[quote]``I won't be terribly sad if one or six of (America's) planes plunged, if one or sixteen of its soldiers are captured, because what we are witnessing in Afghanistan is terrorism.''<hr></blockquote>

Hope he is prepared if his country is shown to sponsor terrorists. He may have a real reason to fear/hate America then.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    They just made our Shit List!
  • Reply 2 of 53
    I read about that stuff almost everyday.

<a href="http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/"; target="_blank">http://www.opinionjournal.com/best/</a>;

Plus we give them $2B a year.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Wh y are we supporting a nation hat openly hates us?

Let them make something econoimicalyl imporant and we will buy their things and support them that way. We support the oil countries through our petroluem pucrhases.

Why do we GIVE our tax money away?

I like the attitude once put forth by Nancy Kress in "Beggars in Spain." She said that the ideal society is one in which every single act is a trade, every conversation a switchover of knowledge, every thought is expressed to make the whole world a richer, better place. It sounded like the ideal Capitalism, with everyone working for himself and everyone aware of the world around him. Then again, extreme capitalism is only obtained by secrets kept by companies and options given to managers. The top cats tend to get fat and the bottom rung tends to get stepped on.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    What can I say? Ignorance is bliss.

Its easy to hate the US, theres many reasons to hate the US, but I fear that this is just ignorance.

Now, on the Terrorism point it is. By the FBI and UN defintions of Terrorism EVERYTHING is terrorism.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    [quote]Plus we give them $2B a year. <hr></blockquote>

We give Israel $3B a year and they tried to sink one of our ships (the U.S.S Liberty) and are engaged in what the U.N finds to be an illegal occupation and illegal settlement of expropriated lands. (both are war crimes).
  • Reply 6 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:

<strong>

We give Israel $3B a year and they tried to sink one of our ships (the U.S.S Liberty) and are engaged in what the U.N finds to be an illegal occupation and illegal settlement of expropriated lands. (both are war crimes).</strong><hr></blockquote>

That was 34 years ago. Theses days I could almost careless what the ever so useless UN thinks. "Peace Prize" what a sham. Also consider that Israel is the only democracy in the region and supports the US at every turn.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    The UK is the USA's bitch and supports them without fail every single time Bush asks, more than Israel does yet we don't get $3b every year.

Neither does the UK illegally occupy another state in direct violation of UN resolutions and carry out illegal assassinations with apparent US approval as the USA's favourite ally likes to do.

The US supports Egypt because it fears that if real democracy were allowed to flourish in that region it would result in more extreme Islamist regimes being elected.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    I very much doubt that a democratic Egypt would "result in more extreme Islamist regime". History tells us that democracies move away from extremism. Short term I could see how that might happen but long term I'd bet a dollor that Egypt would cool out.

Also I'm not sure that the Israeli occupation is against the UN resolutions. I read that they were crafted to allow Israel to occupy the area for security. I know you've read that a 100 times over but from what I read most news sources get it wrong and don't care to fix the mistake when it's pointed out to them.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Can't wait untill the NY Sun gets up and running.

<a href="http://www.smartertimes.com/archive/2000/09/000906.html"; target="_blank">http://www.smartertimes.com/archive/2000/09/000906.html</a>;
  • Reply 10 of 53
    The occupation of Palestine is indeed illegal, there are at least two UN resolutions which confirm this. That is why the "settlers" are so-called, they've chosen to settle outside Israel in illegal occupancy of Palestinian territory. Until recently the only suicide bombings were all conducted in settlers' areas, outside Israel in occupied Palestinian territory.

The NY sun is nothing special, just another pro-Israeli vanity publication from Conrad Black with a print run of less than 10,000
  • Reply 11 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by roundFood:

<strong>The occupation of Palestine is indeed illegal, there are at least two UN resolutions which confirm this. That is why the "settlers" are so-called, they've chosen to settle outside Israel in illegal occupancy of Palestinian territory. Until recently the only suicide bombings were all conducted in settlers' areas, outside Israel in occupied Palestinian territory.

The NY sun is nothing special, just another pro-Israeli vanity publication from Conrad Black with a print run of less than 10,000</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're saying this is wrong?

<a href="http://www.smartertimes.com/archive/2000/09/000906.html"; target="_blank">http://www.smartertimes.com/archive/2000/09/000906.html</a>;

Which resolution are you talking about?
  • Reply 12 of 53
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 13 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>Scott,

Only if the democracies are stable. Otherwise they are at the whims of whoever has the most juice at the moment. Coups de Etat or just plain old get fundamentalists elected and change the laws...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which is why I said "long term".
  • Reply 14 of 53
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott H.:

<strong> Also consider that Israel is the only democracy in the region and supports the US at every turn.</strong><hr></blockquote>

As if they have a choice.

Without us, they are unarmed and basically helpless to defend all of "their" lands. That's the only reason they call themselves "friend." I say screw Israel. Aside from giving us inside information on Hamas terrorists and such, they do nothing for us, and nothing to stabilize the region. Quite the opposite. Almost every problem we have over there has as its root cause the government of Israel.

As far as I'm concerned we don't have a single legitimate ally in the whole region.

Saudi Arabia is so politically corrupt it's ridiculous. Their king is basically a filthy rich sleazebag who couldn't care less about the average citizen on his streets. Same with Egypt, Jordan and the others. Their leaders have no real power or influence over the people in the streets. But they have money and weapons and guards and so their regimes stay put....

...these countries don't give a rat's ass about democracy, freedom for citizens or any of the rest. If they could snap their fingers and be rid of us, they would. Luckily by virtue of our military and economic power, they have to deal with us whether they like it or not. But they're not real allies in the sense that England or Germany or Japan is a real ally.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote] By Moogs?:

<strong>

As if they have a choice.

Without us, they are unarmed and basically helpless to defend all of "their" lands. That's the only reason they call themselves "friend." I say screw Israel. Aside from giving us inside information on Hamas terrorists and such, they do nothing for us, and nothing to stabilize the region. Quite the opposite. Almost every problem we have over there has as its root cause the government of Israel.

As far as I'm concerned we don't have a single legitimate ally in the whole region.

Saudi Arabia is so politically corrupt it's ridiculous. Their king is basically a filthy rich sleazebag who couldn't care less about the average citizen on his streets. Same with Egypt, Jordan and the others. Their leaders have no real power or influence over the people in the streets. But they have money and weapons and guards and so their regimes stay put....

...these countries don't give a rat's ass about democracy, freedom for citizens or any of the rest. If they could snap their fingers and be rid of us, they would. Luckily by virtue of our military and economic power, they have to deal with us whether they like it or not. But they're not real allies in the sense that England or Germany or Japan is a real ally.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Israel is our ally for more than that reason, and we back them for other reasons as well. And we should. You can say it is about guilt, or about other reasons, but they are a true ally. I would have it no other way. Egypt, Syria, and the others can all just evaporate for all I care. They are the worst of friends.

I agree that the Arab nations over there are mostly corrupt. But they would not be as well of if the US did not exist. Most of their income is through Oil sales and well, the US is the largest consumer of Oil in the world. They are not stupid and know this. Their "elected officials" do anyhow.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    Just as an aside, the folks that live in Egypt now were not the one that built the pyramids. I know this is off topic somewhat...
  • Reply 17 of 53
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    [quote]Originally posted by breakskull:

<strong>Just as an aside, the folks that live in Egypt now were not the one that built the pyramids. I know this is off topic somewhat...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Umm, ok. Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
  • Reply 18 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by breakskull:

<strong>Just as an aside, the folks that live in Egypt now were not the one that built the pyramids....</strong><hr></blockquote>

wow, just think, if they were the ones who built the pyramids, they would be VERY old right now!
  • Reply 19 of 53
    [quote]Originally posted by grand illusion:

<strong>

wow, just think, if they were the ones who built the pyramids, they would be VERY old right now! </strong><hr></blockquote>

That would explain why they're so grumpy.
  • Reply 20 of 53
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    &gt;The UK is the USA's bitch and supports them without fail every single time Bush asks, more than Israel does yet we don't get $3b every year.

Neither does the UK illegally occupy another state in direct violation of UN resolutions and carry out illegal assassinations with apparent US approval as the USA's favourite ally likes to do.&lt;

The UK doesn't need any aid, does it? I think 3B is too much and should be reduced, but foreign aid will always exist.

As for Israel occupying territory, it has been trying to give back the territory ever since it seized it in a war started by the Arabs(you conveniently forgot this point as most Europeans do). In fact for the past 8 years they have been basically offering just about all of the land back to the Palestinians in return for the right to live in safe secure borders and in peace with their Arab neighbors.

Speaking of 'illegal' assasinations, aren't we trying to kill Bin Laden? The US and Britain have carried out covert assasinations for decades, The Israelis are just better at it than we are. If Arafat had arrested the masterminds like he said he would they would not have been running around scot free for Israel to have to target them. I say-good for them, kill them if they can.

As for all the anti-Israeli talk here, the United States doesn't abandon its allies at the first sign of trouble, unlike some pussy European countries devoid of any semblance of a spine............................................. .......