Spilled soda on macbook pro keyboard!!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ack! What should I do? I've kept is upside down, wiped off the soda, but I know some got in there under the keys. I'm tempted to want to get water in there to clean it out. Bad idea? Should I use one of those cans of compressed air maybe? Help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    You're very fortunate your computer is still working properly. Please refrain from getting water into the computer and wait for others advice here in the forum on how to remove the stickiness
  • Reply 2 of 5
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    A small leak on to my 15 MBP killed it. Keep it off. Unplug it. Take the battery out. If you can suck the liquid out with a vacuum. I'd avoid spraying air into it because that might drive the liquid deeper. Let it dry out for as long as you can. Then take the back off and use a hair dryer to dry it out more. Be careful, I melted my "~" key with the hair dryer.

Good luck.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    gregggregg Posts: 261member
    http://www.ehow.com/video_113592_cle...rd-spills.html

Not a laptop, but general principles may help.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    I've got a MacBook Pro that last year received a full load of squirt from a girlfriend (yes, we were having fun; she especially). And I mean a full load! Like 3/4 of a full whiskey glass.

I wiped off the excess with a dry cloth, and let the rest simply dry out.

That MBP still works... :-P
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I agree with others in that if you can you should take the battery out. Let it dry out for a day or two. Liquid itself isn't all bad for computers. Its the minerals in some liquids that actually do damage. The minerals allow water to conduct electricity and thus short circuit the components. Distilled water doesn't conduct electricity and thus, distilled water wouldn't actually harm most of your components. If there are no minerals that conduct electricity in that soda you spilled you should be ok as long as you let it dry out.

You may have issues with heat tho since the sugar will be caked on and provide more insulation that your computer doesn't need. I would definitely not use a hair dryer since heat is a computers worst enemy