Boot camp question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a Dell Reinstallation DVD with Windows Vista Business 32BIT SP1. The DVD is supposed to be pre-activated to reinstall Windows. I recently used it to reinstall Windows on my Dell laptop and I was wondering if the same disk could work to boot a Windows installation from my Mac (via Boot Camp). I'm barely using all of my hard drive space so I may want to do this in the future.

I'm using an iMac under Mac OS X Version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niccapo View Post

I have a Dell Reinstallation DVD with Windows Vista Business 32BIT SP1. The DVD is supposed to be pre-activated to reinstall Windows. I recently used it to reinstall Windows on my Dell laptop and I was wondering if the same disk could work to boot a Windows installation from my Mac (via Boot Camp). I'm barely using all of my hard drive space so I may want to do this in the future.

I'm using an iMac under Mac OS X Version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

I'm thinking that there's a good possibility that you can. What's preventing you from popping in the disc and trying it out? Make the Boot Camp partition (Boot Camp utility) and try booting from the disc. If it doesn't work out, run the Boot Camp utility again and simply delete the partition. Bam a lam! Your hard drive is back in one piece.

Note: this is surely illegal as you only have a single license for Vista. Will you get caught? That's almost a definite "no." I'm always a big proponent of going about things the legal way, though. I'd consider maybe buying Windows 7. This way you're legal, and you get the latest and greatest OS (which is actually pretty slick in my opinion... don't tell the other Mac-heads ).

Cheers!
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I doubt it will work ... I know my Hp XP restore disks will not work on other computers... (it might work on an identical HP model?)

But Dell could do things differently, or maybe Windows has changed the way they license the system to OEM's ... I don't know...