next update to the macbook pro line?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was gonna buy a 13" MBP 2.53ghz to replace my 2yo blackbook 2.16ghz, but figured I could wait a few more months when the next update happens. Since the recent macbook pros came out in June, do you guys think they will update the line around nov/dec?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    My guess is that we will see an update in the next couple of months. The next generation of mobile processors are going to be available this month or next (the Core i7, i5 series) and they are going to offer a big boost in performance. And hopefully BluRay playback (I miss being able to watch my 100+ collection on the road).
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

My guess is that we will see an update in the next couple of months. The next generation of mobile processors are going to be available this month or next (the Core i7, i5 series) and they are going to offer a big boost in performance. And hopefully BluRay playback (I miss being able to watch my 100+ collection on the road).

I doubt the update will be at least until early 2010. Apple refreshes their hardware on their own timescale, not Intel's. And as for Blu-Ray, don't expect it to happen anytime soon. Like, indefinitely. It would take a huge chunk out of the iTunes Store, it would kill battery life, and it would raise the price of the machines for a feature that, let's face it, most people wouldn't use.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I doubt the update will be at least until early 2010. Apple refreshes their hardware on their own timescale, not Intel's. And as for Blu-Ray, don't expect it to happen anytime soon. Like, indefinitely. It would take a huge chunk out of the iTunes Store, it would kill battery life, and it would raise the price of the machines for a feature that, let's face it, most people wouldn't use.

I seem to remember Apple usually updating within a couple of months of new processors being available since the Intel switch. I could be wrong, but the last few times they've updated there was a new processor, or am I wrong about that?

Oh, and you can save your arguments on bluray, I've heard them all and I don't buy them at all.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

I seem to remember Apple usually updating within a couple of months of new processors being available since the Intel switch. I could be wrong, but the last few times they've updated there was a new processor, or am I wrong about that?

The laptops are typically on a eight to nine-month refresh schedule. Given that, and the fact that the MB/MBPs were updated in June, we probably won't see an update until February or March... early 2010.

Quote:

Oh, and you can save your arguments on bluray, I've heard them all and I don't buy them at all.

You may not have to agree with them, I don't even fully agree. But you don't expect Apple to voluntarily destroy their own iTunes movie sales, do you? These aren't my arguments why Apple shouldn't add Blu-Ray, it's why I think they won't.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

The laptops are typically on a eight to nine-month refresh schedule. Given that, and the fact that the MB/MBPs were updated in June, we probably won't see an update until February or March... early 2010.

You may not have to agree with them, I don't even fully agree. But you don't expect Apple to voluntarily destroy their own iTunes movie sales, do you? These aren't my arguments why Apple shouldn't add Blu-Ray, it's why I think they won't.

If that were the case, they would have a lot more to fear from DVD playback, and that hasn't hurt them. I contend that someone who wants to watch a BluRay movie is not the same person that would download a movie from iTunes. Frankly, I don't think Apple makes all that much from sales of movies on iTunes, as they use it to attract people to the Mac. BluRay support would just be another method to attract people.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    We'll assume that is true for the time being (although I still think it's a factor).

It doesn't address the price issue. Those drives are quite expensive, even more so if you want the rare Blu-Ray writer. There's heat to consider, as well as power. Those blue lasers take a lot more power than the red ones in DVD/CD drives. Also, the form factor is a major issue. Apple doesn't use the standard 12.7mm laptop drives, they use 9.5mm ultra-slim drives. Those are likely quite rare, and assuming they can be found, they're probably even MORE expensive than the normal ones.

Starting to see that "bag of hurt" that Steve mentioned? Adding a Blu-Ray drive would be a engineering nightmare, and one that doesn't have much return. Blu-Ray isn't a feature that's called for often, despite what it might look like on AI.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

We'll assume that is true for the time being (although I still think it's a factor).

It doesn't address the price issue. Those drives are quite expensive, even more so if you want the rare Blu-Ray writer. There's heat to consider, as well as power. Those blue lasers take a lot more power than the red ones in DVD/CD drives. Also, the form factor is a major issue. Apple doesn't use the standard 12.7mm laptop drives, they use 9.5mm ultra-slim drives. Those are likely quite rare, and assuming they can be found, they're probably even MORE expensive than the normal ones.

Cost is a virtual non issue. Regular external notebook sized players can be had for $100 retail now. The burners for $300. Even if you assume that Apple pays a premium for smaller drives, they could do what Sony does and charge $400-$500 for the option. As for the technical reasons, (heat, form factor, battery life), those are the same reasons that people said we would never see CD burners and DVD drives in notebooks, and we know how that turned out.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    <deleted>
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Early 2010 with Arrandale is my guess.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Any ideas of what graphics chips the new MBP will use?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrShow View Post

Any ideas of what graphics chips the new MBP will use?

Most likely the slightly-upper-end-of-midrange mobile variant of the Nvidia GT 300 line. I.e. Nvidia GT 350M. The models with the lower powered chips will also probably get something in the 300 line, but with a much lower number (320M ?)
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Cost is a virtual non issue. Regular external notebook sized players can be had for $100 retail now. The burners for $300. Even if you assume that Apple pays a premium for smaller drives, they could do what Sony does and charge $400-$500 for the option. As for the technical reasons, (heat, form factor, battery life), those are the same reasons that people said we would never see CD burners and DVD drives in notebooks, and we know how that turned out.

But those external drives aren't constrained by the thermal and spatial budget of a laptop interior, and are pretty much always 12.7mm drives. A 9.5mm DVD burner can even be a significant chunk more expensive than a 12.7mm DVD burner, and that's becoming antiquated technology.

Now, I have no doubt that a 9.5mm Blu-Ray can be had, it's just a matter of time and cost. But, until Apple has a good reason to add Blu-Ray and send their iTunes movie profits (however small they may be) to Sony, a bitter competitor, they won't do it. It would take something monumental like computer software shipping on BD discs (like it does on CDs and DVDs), before Apple would bite that bullet, because they couldn't afford not to. Until then, they've got no reason to, because until then, Blu-Ray isn't essential, and frankly, it's a competing format.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

Early 2010 with Arrandale is my guess.

I concur.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tibookuser View Post

I was gonna buy a 13" MBP 2.53ghz to replace my 2yo blackbook 2.16ghz, but figured I could wait a few more months when the next update happens. Since the recent macbook pros came out in June, do you guys think they will update the line around nov/dec?

I wouldn't expect a 13" upgrade until next year. However I would expect that the 17" MBP would be upgraded as soon as Intel has a viable chip. Why?

Simply because during the last update the 17" machine saw only very minor changes. That and it has the capacity to handle Intels hotter mobile chips. Chips suitable for the 13" model will likely not be here until next year.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The timing of MacBook updates is driven by the availability of new hardware, whether from Intel, nVidia, or another major supplier. In this case, I also expect Arrandale will instigate the next release.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The timing of MacBook updates is driven by the availability of new hardware, whether from Intel, nVidia, or another major supplier. In this case, I also expect Arrandale will instigate the next release.

I see that HP is envying Apple...but noticeably absent from these look-alikes is the optical drives.

Seriously...these new HP notebooks look so similar to a MacBook Pro...I wonder what Apple will do?
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I see that HP is envying Apple...but noticeably absent from these look-alikes is the optical drives.

Dropping the optical drive is smart. For 99.44% of laptop users, lugging around an optical drive is simply stupid.

I expect the next major revision of the MacBook Pro (perhaps in 2011) will be a convergence with the MacBook Air. I think it will be the end of both optical drives and HDDs in Apple laptops, with both flash and ram soldered onto the motherboard.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Dropping the optical drive is smart. For 99.44% of laptop users, lugging around an optical drive is simply stupid.

I expect the next major revision of the MacBook Pro (perhaps in 2011) will be a convergence with the MacBook Air. I think it will be the end of both optical drives and HDDs in Apple laptops, with both flash and ram soldered onto the motherboard.

I hope mot, Apple would basically stop selling computers overnight. Unless you buy an external drive and around, you're screwed if you have problem, have to install software, buy a CD, or have to burn a DVD for a function. No optical drive=secondary computer. It won't be feasible until digital app downloads show up en masse, 8GB flash drives drop in price from $40 to around $5, so you can ship an operating system on them, digital movies actually catch on, etc.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I hope mot, Apple would basically stop selling computers overnight. Unless you buy an external drive and around, you're screwed if you have problem, have to install software, buy a CD, or have to burn a DVD for a function. No optical drive=secondary computer. It won't be feasible until digital app downloads show up en masse, 8GB flash drives drop in price from $40 to around $5, so you can ship an operating system on them, digital movies actually catch on, etc.

Digital app downloads showed up en masse years ago, digital movies are catching on, and flash drive prices continue to plummet. Apple sell a beautiful external DVD drive for $99. Apple also have made using a remote DVD drive across the network very simple. Having an optical drive is still reasonable. Having an optical drive built into a laptop is becoming less reasonable every month.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:

Digital app downloads showed up en masse years ago, digital movies are catching on, and flash drive prices continue to plummet. Apple sell a beautiful external DVD drive for $99. Apple also have made using a remote DVD drive across the network very simple. Having an optical drive is still reasonable. Having an optical drive built into a laptop is becoming less reasonable every month.

What if you are doing photography and would like to burn your images to a CD or DVD

and you're away from home? Of course you could get an add-on burner but if the optical drive is built in to your laptop it might be more convenient.