Don't expect Apple TV as cable set top box, Apple exec says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I can say with almost certainty that IF ATV is refreshed tomorrow it will Dump the P4-M 1.4ghz CPU and chipset in favor of either Atom Z5-- series on an nVidia chipset OR ULV Core Solo. I'm betting Atom Z series on nVidia since that is Low heat, Low power and capable of 720p (and according to some owners of netbooks using these chips 1080p).

The AppleTV uses a 1GHz Banias or Dothan derived CPU - a PIII derivative from 2005.

The nVidia chipset and Intel CPU option is simply too expensive for this type of device. An nVidia Tegra would be more logical, however ...

... most likely is the iPhone SoC running at full speed, or the PA Semi SoC when it is ready. These will have all the necessary hardware accelerators for media processing. The PA Semi chip is what I would put money on.

OT: Why did I arrange a date/cinema for tomorrow evening (UK time, i.e., new iPod time)?!!
  • Reply 22 of 57
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

I was going to ask the same question. Comcast happily gave me a 2-channel CableCard. The only issue I had was getting it set up right on my account. Once that was fixed (took a couple repeat calls to the help desk over a few days), ...

This is the reason right here though.

Apple won't get into anything that they don't control the experience of. You had no troubles you say, (although you describe *some* troubles actually), but other people might have had that nightmare from hell experience with the "help desk."

If Apple got into this, they would be selling a product that could possibly drive users crazy and that they themselves would not be able to control or fix for them. That's a recipe for bad press and PR. Microsoft's okay with this stuff since no one ever expects their stuff to work seamlessly or to not have major problems. For Apple, this would be a huge PR disaster.

You only have to look at the post on this forum (and Apple's) about Exchange support in leopard to see that. People are having immense problems with it, none of it is Apple's fault, yet Apple is getting all the blame. They usually try to steer clear of those kinds of businesses.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This has nothing got to do with Apple offering an iTunes TV Show subscription service, which ultimately they very may well do, if they get the licenses. Record TV? Why record anything when you can just stream it. So no DVR, but yes to subscription, with perhaps some live content in the future like news and sports.

This shit is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    it would cost me a lot more to pay via itunes for all the shows i DVR than through my cable company
  • Reply 25 of 57
    It seems I'm not the only one who thinks the current set-top boxes suck, and having to rent these crappy boxes from the cable provider just rubs it in. Apple is probably the one company that could improve this experience, without even breaking a sweat. But I can see why they aren't interested. Who'd want to deal with the cable providers?
  • Reply 26 of 57
    I just want greater support for containers, audio and video formats. As well as 7.1 audio over HDMI. Along with a slick GUI that automatically downloads info on actors and directors as well as a show/movie synopsis and cover art. Then it could replace my HTPC.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though rumors have persisted for years that the Apple TV might transition from a media streaming solution into a cable box competitor, a new report said an Apple executive "killed that concept."

I don't think this was ever a rumor. A wish by end-users, sure. A fantasy by some analysts, yes. But rumor suggests that someone actually had reason to believe Apple was working on this. It's always been nothing more than wild speculation at best.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

Forget the integration of Hulu, this web site was created to avoid a total control of iTunes over the video section like Apple did with music.

Apple does'nt need other for that, they will offer their own solution for sure

I hope that you are right. We all know that Apple has the potential to kick it up a few notches and submit a real bid to take over the living room. Remember at MacWorld Jan 2002 when the awesome amazing iMac G4 (iLamp) came out and iPhoto was first debuted?

They were all about the "Digital Hub" philosophy. In some ways I would say they delivered the digital hub of that time period, which was your iLamp. But I think the hub of the average user has expanded exponentially needing terrabytes of storage, and multiple streaming services. Now that most people have HDTVs, and 802.11n wireless networks, time capsules/time machine, and many other evolved technologies in their homes, I think the time is right to deliver the true digital hub. The hub should evolve from being your Mac, to being your Apple TV, or Apple Server, or some other appliance, whatever you want to call it. It can sit centrally in the living room and manage all devices and media content. Not just the iTunes ecosystem, but all components of media that we use everyday. I love iTunes, but I want to use alot of other services and access many types of content that is easily accessible and manageable through the hub.

Steve has said it many times, Apple creates the products that they (Steve) want to use. I think Steve wants more. I know I do.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    right on, don't expect apple tv to be even a semi advanced player like the hdi dune either.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Did anyone really think the apple tv was ever going to be a cable box?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    Did anyone really think the apple tv was ever going to be a cable box?
  • Reply 32 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This is the reason right here though.

Apple won't get into anything that they don't control the experience of. You had no troubles you say, (although you describe *some* troubles actually), but other people might have had that nightmare from hell experience with the "help desk."

If Apple got into this, they would be selling a product that could possibly drive users crazy and that they themselves would not be able to control or fix for them. That's a recipe for bad press and PR. Microsoft's okay with this stuff since no one ever expects their stuff to work seamlessly or to not have major problems. For Apple, this would be a huge PR disaster.

You only have to look at the post on this forum (and Apple's) about Exchange support in leopard to see that. People are having immense problems with it, none of it is Apple's fault, yet Apple is getting all the blame. They usually try to steer clear of those kinds of businesses.

I'm sorry, but your comments are pretty much the same arguments that were being used a few years ago about why the iPhone would never come to be. Apple doesn't control the whole experience there either yet seems to be okay with it. There's plenty of money to be made if Apple could start getting a slice of cable TV revenues.

The big issue with my CableCard was inexperience at the account center. CableCards are a fairly rare thing to deal with. Apple could easily require the same sort of training that AT&T employees were reported to have before the launch of the iPhone.

If Apple insists on keeping the AppleTV locked into the shallow pool it is in now, they can fully expect it to continue to flounder like it has.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    How about just making it True HD, instead of this toy format? I agree with Steve Jobs, it's a hobby. The minute it goes 1080p, I will buy one.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

How about just making it True HD, instead of this toy format? I agree with Steve Jobs, it's a hobby. The minute it goes 1080p, I will buy one.

1080p content takes too long to push at any decent bitrate. 720 is okay for what they do.

I'll get an aTV when it can play iPhone games.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

The AppleTV uses a 1GHz Banias or Dothan derived CPU - a PIII derivative from 2005.

The nVidia chipset and Intel CPU option is simply too expensive for this type of device. An nVidia Tegra would be more logical, however ...

... most likely is the iPhone SoC running at full speed, or the PA Semi SoC when it is ready. These will have all the necessary hardware accelerators for media processing. The PA Semi chip is what I would put money on.

OT: Why did I arrange a date/cinema for tomorrow evening (UK time, i.e., new iPod time)?!!

Come to think of it that makes more sense. Not sure why but I keep thinking there gonna continue the Intel route... If your gonna drop the app store into the ATV you'll want to drop the iTouch OS along with it... Front Row for iTouch's?

Either way, the current hardware, according to intel's shareholder reports are no longer in production. That doesn't mean Apple's manufacture did not buy up the last stock, how much, etc etc. The atom is a drop in replacement for the cpu currently in use with the 945 chipset. Nvidia's got a chipset designed specifically for the Atom cpu's and it's dirt cheap, 4x's faster than 945 and does HD with NO PROBLEMS.

Still, switching to proprietary would make much more sense.

OK, back to vacation... See you all tomorrow!
  • Reply 36 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

By "continuing to lower prices", I am hoping this means that now that Apple has 'dealt' with thier macbooks/macbook pros (and presumably freed up some engineers mid-iphone cycle, and what-not) they could move on to the iMac..

I'm very keen on buying one - but don't want the existing model - I'm hoping for something with a bit of 'boom'.

That said, I think Apple have probably adjusted their product cycles slowing the current one down a bit to keep prices down rather than go for the exiting but equally expensive successor.

Despite the rumor that Apple is planning two "compelling" changes to the iMac, I'm not holding my breath. LED backlit displays would be nice and would allow Apple to say they've eliminated mercury from another model line so I'm cautiously optimistic that will happen.

On the processor front there's nothing on the immediate horizon that fits into the thermal envelope of the current iMac. Intel doesn't have its eye on the premium notebook category right now and that's making things tough for Apple

Intel's focus right now is Atom chips for netbooks and the Core i5 and Core i7 for desktops. While there is a mobile version of the Core i7 it's hideously expensive and tops out at just 2.0GHz. The older mobile Core 2 Quad is also unsuitable for the current iMac based on power requirements and price.

Looking at Intel price lists there is room for Apple to bump Core 2 Duo processor speeds without incurring any additional cost. The 2.8 now costs the same as the 2.66 used to and the 3.06 has the same cost as the 2.93.

At the low end I'm expecting a $100 price drop and a speed increase to 2.8GHz. The mid-range machine should get an equivalent price drop and be replaced by the current high end 3.06/GT130.

There really isn't anywhere for the high end iMac to go without some design changes to accommodate a hotter CPU/GPU combo.

It's sad to see the enormous performance gap between Core i7 desktops and the iMac so I really hope Apple plans to do something about it. At the rate things have been going lately it'll be 2012 before the iMac catches up with today's consumer PCs.
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Apple never had any intention of building a box that would be dependent on someone else (cable/satellite) for content. Those who thought differently were deluding themselves.

I'm not in the market for the AppleTV because the Canadian iTunes store doesn't list any of the shows I watch and doesn't give me any option for live sports. Besides, my kids would kill me if I cut off their cartoon channels. At $2/day cable still makes sense for us.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

It's sad to see the enormous performance gap between Core i7 desktops and the iMac so I really hope Apple plans to do something about it. At the rate things have been going lately it'll be 2012 before the iMac catches up with today's consumer PCs.

The least-expensive desktop PC I could find from Dell featuring the i7 sells for $849. I wonder, is that how much most consumers of Windows PCs are spending?
  • Reply 39 of 57
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Forget everything and anything that competes with iTunes and that includes your own music and videos. Your own music and movies for crissake are listed at the bottom of the menus. The search function is not for your files but throws you into iTunes to buy their crap. I've had the ATV for over 2 years and have only spent roughly $20 on iTunes content. I had no idea that it would have morphed into an iTunes Junkebox. May it die a painful death unless it is opened up and optimized for the owners music and video files now.

It is unfortunately but true, AppleTV isn't very nice with movies I already own. I do not know why it does not do movie playlists? Then I would be able to organize my movies (ripped for AppleTV, ripped for iPod). Now it is just all the movies under My Movies.

And come on Apple, not everyone has to buy from iTunes. I have never bought a movie from iTunes because DVD and Blu-ray are better quality for less or the same price.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I wish the Apple TV would become like the Roku, a $100 device that lets you stream Netflix's 12,000 movie library to your TV. $15 a month for 12,000 movies, all you can eat, cancel at any time. SWEET!!

Subscription is a decent idea, but Netflix is SD and stereo . When a cable broadcast can beat the performance of streaming, what's the point of paying extra for netflix and an Apple TV? I love my HD 5.1 Dolby SS downloads of Madmen and wouldn't trade it for Netflix streaming at all. I can watch the shows on my commutes to the city on my iphone and I can load them on to a space ipod and loan them to friends.

Now if we're talking about shows to watch but don't want to own, then just add an SD stream only subscription option, (access to all SD streams) but there is no need to add netflix. Their library isn't perfect either and they have to wait for the DVD to come out before they can sell or stream it. I get Madmen the day after it airs.