Apple event speculation: App Store fix, $150 iPod touch, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With Apple's annual iPod event imminent, Internet buzz, rumors and speculation have reached a fever pitch, as industry watchers wait to see what the hardware maker will debut Wednesday.

Predictions are varied, though most everyone agrees that Apple will reveal its long-expected new iPod line with cameras, alleged last-minute technical issues notwithstanding. In a brief preview, Forbes speculated Apple would bring a "mundane" yet "important" fix for iPhone and iPod touch users: a new-and-improved App Store.

"Now that that App Store is filled with 65,000 applications, the next step will be to make all those applications easier to find," the report said. "Apple said during its last investor call that it is working on the problem. September would seem to be a fine time to introduce Apple's solution."

Developer Marco Arment, creator of Instapaper and Tumblr, believes the event will feature a number of relatively minor changes to the iPod lineup. He has predicted that Apple will discontinue the iPod classic and unveil a number of new iPod touch models, with price and capacity ranging from $149/8GB to $349/64GB.

"Since very little of this is exciting enough to justify an entire event, I'm assuming that the main focus of the event will be a new version of iTunes and new content accessibility, such as iPhone TV rentals," he said.

At Fortune Brainstorm Tech, Philip Elmer-DeWitt said he isn't holding his breath for The Beatles catalog to appear on iTunes. However he said the fact that the band's digitally remastered album re-releases, as well as the debut of The Beatles: Rock band video game, makes the timing of the event "propitious."

Finally, TechCrunch's MG Siegler speculated that iTunes will inevitably be a cloud-based service. Citing the huge size of HD video offerings, the report suggests that Apple's media service could allow users to stream, rather than download. In this vision, Apple would allow users to purchase and delete locally saved content, and retain the ability to download it again in the future if the user wanted to access it on the go, via an iPod or iPhone. The report acknowledges the huge costs that would accompany such a change, but the transition would also make it much easier for users to maintain and access their library of content from multiple machines.

"Long term, the only viable model would seem to be Apple holding all of this content for us on its servers," Siegler said. "Streaming a huge collection of movies works beautifully right now for Netflix via its Watch Instantly service. Apple would need a download component to supplement its portable devices, but it likely can and will be done."

Previously, analysts have been divided on whether Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will appear at Wednesday's event. There are also rumors of a new version of iTunes that could bring social media support, as well as a new format designed to inspire sales of full albums, code-named "Cocktail." The Sept. 9 media event will be held at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, and is scheduled to kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific Time (1 p.m. Eastern).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    ...yawn...yawn... ZZzzzzzz \
  • Reply 2 of 60
    gigigigi Posts: 65member
    And don't forget a totally new Appe TV yeahhhhhh
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, TechCrunch's MG Siegler speculated that iTunes will inevitably be a cloud-based service.

Separately, Siegler suggests Ford will be releasing street-based cars.

I know what he's getting at but the iTunes Store has been 'cloud-based' since its inception. It doesn't have to be accessible via a web browser or stream music or movies to qualify (though I agree, the latter would be nice).
  • Reply 4 of 60
    App Store fix is expected.

I have found that App Store was down about 3-4 times in the last month here in India when i tried to browse iTunes from 2-6 AM.

Maybe they took it offline to test it? and chose app store India as there is less traffic?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Yea, anal-ists are already pumping up Apple's stock to $200. But in my opinion, anything Apple announces if it doesn't seem to the public as saving them money in some fashion, it's going to very slow sales. People are looking hard at their bottom line lately and worried about their jobs. We are still experiencing deflation, meaning more job losses and more foreclosures and bank failures.

A large capacity iPod Touch to replace the hard drive based iPod Classic and watch the flood of orders come in.

Integrated VOIP functionality would be nice.

64 GB capacity would just be enough to hold all my music and a the few downloaded iTMS movies for trips.

$349? Screw that. This is NOT the real estate/loose credit bubble economy anymore. People are buying based upon value in this rough economy.

VOIP enabled iPod Touches would be worth $349.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Yea, anal-ists are already pumping up Apple's stock to $200.

A large capacity iPod Touch to replace the hard drive based iPod Classic and watch the flood of orders come in.

Integrated VOIP functionality would be nice.

I think there already is a VOIP app... Isn't there? Apple might not like the Google app but some of the open source apps can easily be cross compiled, modify the UI and then dropped on the iDevice OS.... Maybe...

You thinking 64gb Flash based itouch? Or would it hurt to predict an iTouch with an hard drive?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

I think there already is a VOIP app... Isn't there? Apple might not like the Google app but some of the open source apps can easily be cross compiled, modify the UI and then dropped on the iDevice OS.... Maybe...

You thinking 64gb Flash based itouch? Or would it hurt to predict an iTouch with an hard drive?

The Google Voice app is not VOIP. It's basically a call forwarding service with some bolted on extras such as SMS and voicemail.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    Quote:

Or would it hurt to predict an iTouch with an hard drive?

It would be the most stupid thing I would ever saw Apple doing: investing in a dying technology like "hard drives"...

Apple does not think backwards, always forward.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    How about an iTunes Server option?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

It would be the most stupid thing I would ever saw Apple doing: investing in a dying technology like "hard drives"...

Apple does not think backwards, always forward.

+1 on that...
  • Reply 11 of 60
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Yeah, I know this has already been shot down.

But...

The Beatles catalogue has been released on newly remastered CD's just now. People that want the CDs have probably purchased, so why not on iTunes too?

Frankly, this is much bigger than crappy cameras on an iPod touch.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

And don't forget a totally new Appe TV yeahhhhhh

As much as a new AppleTV would pique my interest, I honestly do not think a new one would be released. Then again, Apple could surprise me. If it releases a "new" AppleTV, its most likely this: 160gb version and a 320gb version, as well as new aTV software. But even all that is unlikely.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

But...

The Beatles catalogue has been released on newly remastered CD's just now. People that want the CDs have probably purchased, so why not on iTunes too?

To you, maybe. Don't even try and speak for the rest of us.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

I'll take a hard drive based iPod Touch if it means a lower price and thus more sales for Apple.

Integrated VOIP, so the mechanical components are all there already.

Apple (and other high end retailers) usually forces new, unproven, expensive and sometimes unwanted technologies down the public's throat, thus I don't see a hard drive based iPod touch coming.

Apple would do well to introduce higher capacity iPod Touches, and if they can't get the price down to something reasonable with memory, then use the more fragile hard drives.

Then let people decide how well they take care of them, if they do well, they won't have to repurchase. If they don't Apple sells twice as many.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    In 2007 the event was the same week as Labor Day - so they had it on a Wednesday. I don't expect Apple to be on the Beatles bandwagon tomorrow.

It would be cool to see totally new iPod form-factors, something to accelerate holiday sales.

Wifi sync? I'd like it but assume Apple will hold it back until all other upgrades are exhausted.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:

What? Who gives a crap about the Beatles. Why all the focus on the Beatles? I mean yeah they were a decent band, but there are so many other good bands out there too. They aren't a big deal anymore. Just go buy the CD's if you don't already have them.

I'd rather have the camera on the ipods.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

How about an iTunes Server option?

I would love to see Apple offer a setup for iTunes where you can sync downloads across multiple devices that would take care of at least the following two situations: (1) automatically syncing a song downloaded on Mac 1 to Mac 2, and (2) automatically downloading a song to Mac 1 AND Mac 2 if I buy it on the iPhone.

I'm sure there's a geek way to do this now, but I'm looking for something more like a automated set-it-and-forget-it setup.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

But...

The Beatles uncatalogued has been released on newly remastered CD's just now. People that want the CDs have probably purchased, so why not on iTunes too?

I think the Apple sign said something about a Rolling Stones song, so perhaps Apple is going to promote them along with their new iPod devices.

Most likely what they did with U2, sell a iPod with all the Rolling Stones music on it.

The Beatles got the jump in the press, that's all, knowing Apple and RS is coming today.

Apple Records feels it's in competition with Apple Computer or they feel Steve Jobs stole their marketing techniques or something. Thus the years of lawsuits and no Beatles on iTMS.

I see my wallet being opened admist the lust of another must have iPod device, the bonus of getting all Rolling Stone music included.

But I already have all the Rolling Stone music...
  • Reply 19 of 60
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

But...

BEATLES

Will open a whole new world to all the under 16 crowd

• Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'll take a hard drive based iPod Touch if it means a lower price and thus more sales for Apple.

Integrated VOIP, so the mechanical components are all there already.

Apple (and other high end retailers) usually forces new, unproven, expensive and sometimes unwanted technologies down the public's throat, thus I don't see a hard drive based iPod touch coming.

If you don't "want it", don't "buy it". Jeesh. The reason why these companies are always getting the newer technologies is because they don't want to be left behind. If it were for you we were still dealing with diskettes, which are oh so nicer than CDs, you know, because hey we can recopy diskettes without issues, not so much with that lousy tech called "CDs".

This is the opposite mentality. I don't think Apple will launch a hard drive solution for the Touch for a variety of reasons:

1- Had to invest real money figuring out how to put a hard drive in there without fattening the product

2- They don't want to create the notion that they are in for the cheap, trading excellence for cheap, fat and loudy. They can't cheapen the trademark.

3- They don't want also to create the notion that they are investing in the past

4- They rather invest big time in flash, promising their dealers a lot of clients and because of this being able to reduce costs a lot

5- Hard drives in 2009 sucks man!

The only reason why Apple would launch such a device would be to get to the sweet spot of 150 dollars. But I don't think that this is sufficient reason against the cons I outlined.

Quote:

Apple would do well to introduce higher capacity iPod Touches, and if they can't get the price down to something reasonable with memory, then use the more fragile hard drives.

It may do well for niche markets, but Apple is not a niche market product designer no more. You'll simply have to wait for Flash to come down in prices.

Quote:

Then let people decide how well they take care of them, if they do well, they won't have to repurchase. If they don't Apple sells twice as many.

Yeah and cheapen the brand with it. Gawd.