Snow Leopard Expose not as useful

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Below is what I sent to apple. Who agrees?

In snow leopard Expose places all windows (minimized and open) in a grid view. I don't mind that Expose shows minimized windows. However, the grid view actually slows down my ability to find the relevant windows, because pertinent information is lost by placing all windows in a grid such that the relative sizes of the windows are not respected, i.e. the sizes of the respective windows is information that lets me discern between windows. For example, I know that my aperture window is the biggest, my safari window the second, and my word document the third. In other words, I may not be able to see all the windows or easily find them, but I have an intuitive feel for what their sizes are and what they would look like if reduced in size and laid out next to each other.

Now, I believe that if I had, for example, 20 open windows, the grid view may actually be better, as perhaps respecting relative sizes would cause some windows to be too small. It's also possible that with so many windows open I would lose the intuitive grasp on what the relative sizes of my windows are and, thus, respecting relative sizes in expose would be more confusing than helpful. However, for under 10 windows or so respecting relative sizes really is better.

Thus, prima facie, Apple should reinstate the respect for relative window sizes in expose unless there are more than a certain amount of windows open, for example, 10. In fact, expose could have three options, grid, relative size, and automatic. In automatic mode my idea of switching form relative size to grid occurs after X number of windows are open.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I never use expose (or spaces). Never liked expose, and spaces isn't what I thought it was going to be (I used a similar feature in sun's OS that was way better. Each window had it's own background image and seemed separated from the other windows).

I'm also not a big fan of the dock or widgets.

Other than these minor complaints, I love everything else and feel that OS X is the best OS on the market.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I like it much better. I even like the blue outline.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I feel exactly the same way regarding the relative window sizes. In addition using expose in concert with spaces is pretty much useless now as you have to mouse over every single window in order to figure out what it is. It would certainly be nice if there were some configuration options with regard to how the windows are shown.

Brent
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I think the new Expose is better when you have lots (15+) of windows but worse when you only have a few. That being said if I only have a few it isn't hard to find the current window anyway (if there are only 4-5 choices).
  • Reply 5 of 11
    The short time Snow Leopard actually worked, I liked the enhancements to expose.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    I like the change a lot tbh. As opposed to OP, I prefer to looking for the window by name and my attention now don't get distracted by the size of windows in exposé anymore. But I agree Apple should offer options because one doesn't fit all.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I agree with the original poster. Having my terminal window shown the same size as a web browser is wacky... Size *was* my main indication of which window is which.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    They probably stopped reading it out of pure bordem as I just did.

New Expose works just fine.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    There are plusses and misuses. My bet is you'll get used to it, but I do see your point. All in all I think it brings Exposé to the masses a little more, whereas before most people never heard of Exposé - dock exposé that is. If you are just switching between apps however, like your complaint suggests, wouldn't you be best using cmd + tab or simply clicking the dock? I think so.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They probably stopped reading it out of pure bordem as I just did.

Now, now, no need to be rude.

I agree with the OP 100%. I was looking forward to the new "Dock Expose" feature but I'm disappointed by the new "grid view" of Exposé.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The short time Snow Leopard actually worked, I liked the enhancements to expose.

To post an outlandish statement like this without providing details makes it UNBELIEVABLE !!!