Apple's new iPod shuffle comes with more headphone options

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
The latest update to Apple's self-proclaimed "world's smallest music player" will gain compatibility with more headphones, as the previous iteration's tethered controls were proprietary-only.

"The first music player to talk to you" is available starting at $59 for a new 2GB model, and comes in five colors. The 4GB model costs $79, and is also available in silver, black, pink, blue and green. There will also be a stainless steel special edition with 4GB of capacity, priced at $99.

While last year's version of the iPod shuffle previously required either the official Apple Earphones or In-Ear Headphones with Remote, the company will now license out hte controls to other manufacturers. Announced Wednesday were offerings from Sony, V-MODA, Klipsch, Scosche with built-in headphone controls, while Belkin and Scosche will offer built-in headphone adapters that will allow any headphones to work with the hardware.

"iPod shuffle is the world's smallest music player and now comes in five great colors starting at just $59," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "iPod shuffle is so small that you almost forget it's there, yet remarkably, it holds up to 1,000 songs and talks to you."

The iPod shuffle is based on Apple's "shuffle: feature, which randomly selects songs from your music library. The device features a wearable design with a built-in stainless steel clip. iPod shuffle users can easily clip it to almost anything and take it everywhere.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    We spoke- and Apple listened.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I love my Shuffle with in-ear phones... and now I can use the remote for my 3GS.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ugh. Just keep the clip-on shuffle and be done with it. The new shuffle is form at the expense of function.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Worst Apple Product ever. Now slightly less worse.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I'd say it comes in second to the hockey puck mouse. But yah.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

It's an exception: It's form is its function. It's designed to be as tiny as possible for a jogger. They achieved that. If you need more menus and buttons get the Nano. See? They gave us both.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It's an exception: It's form is its function. It's designed to be as tiny as possible for a jogger. They achieved that. If you need more menus and buttons get the Nano. See? They gave us both.

It's minimalism at it's worst, if that makes sense. The clip on version was perfect, other than those bloody headphones. I'd much rather they had wireless headphones with the clip-on version or maybe just improve the old lavaliere to accommodate the clip-on somehow.