Apple puts iTunes on Facebook with free downloads

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has taken iTunes to the Facebook platform, adding its brand as a "friendable" member of the social networking site and creating a Facebook application that hands out special offers to connected users.

Facebook users can become "fans" of iTunes, which installs the new "free on iTunes" app for them and provides a link to the iTunes Indie Spotlight Sampler, a free mixtape of 20 tracks.

"Fan of the iTunes page on Facebook?" the apps asks. "Be sure to check back here frequently for free music, TV shows, movies, and more from the iTunes Store, exclusively for our Facebook fans."

Apple has maintained a Facebook fan page for some time, which posts links to new albums, music related apps, and links to free iTunes U content. The Indie Spotlight Sampler was first posted last month, and the download track offer is good through the end of September. iTunes currently lists 1.8 million Facebook fans.

Apple's social networking strategy of promoting offers and downloads on Facebook complements new features in iTunes 9 which allow users to post items to their Facebook page or add them to their Twitter feed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Welcome to several months ago, AI... This is non-news and has been in place for a long, long time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Wow.. I've been getting free music from iTunes for YEARS now on Facebook, they had a student group and then it evolved to the iTunes "page"... very, very late on this one.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Wow.. I've been getting free music from iTunes for YEARS now on Facebook, they had a student group and then it evolved to the iTunes "page"... very, very late on this one.

To be fair, the article does say "Apple has maintained a Facebook fan page for some time,..."
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

same here...i've got to have about a dozen samplers from the apple facebook page. They released 75 free songs this year alone if you include the lallapalooza samplers in chicago. alot of it good music.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Yeah, no surprise here. AppleInsider is a day late and a dollar short every time. I used to be a loyal AI reader, but now use Engadget. I've found them to be on the ball more. The only thing I use AI for now is to see what people are talking about in the comments.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emoney35 View Post

Yeah, no surprise here. AppleInsider is a day late and a dollar short every time. I used to be a loyal AI reader, but now use Engadget. I've found them to be on the ball more. The only thing I use AI for now is to see what people are talking about in the comments.

Talking about biting the hand that "feeds" you..
  • Reply 7 of 9
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hewsthat View Post

same here...i've got to have about a dozen samplers from the apple facebook page. They released 75 free songs this year alone if you include the lallapalooza samplers in chicago. alot of it good music.

if you two weren't so busy bitching at others, you'd realise that the free music is available to everyone and that the Facebook group just notifies you of it's existence.

Lame-o-rama!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I can't believe Apple is acting like a 45 year old virgin when it comes down to music and the social web. Maybe it is because the music industry is looking over Apple's shoulder?

It's a shame though as iLike on Facebook is an utter disaster from a usability point of view.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Facebook doesn't know it, evidently, but they are slowly destroying their service by opening their doors to a torrent of advertisers. What does social networking have to do with non-stop advertising, you may ask? Absolutely nothing!