Stolen Computer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys...I was wondering if you could help me out. Recently, my apartment got broken into and my laptop was stolen. Fortunatly, my other roomates iMac was not taken. Is it possible to backup my iphone, ipods etc to his computer without screwing up his stuff? Are there any precautions i should consider before plugging in any of the devices? I need to figure out something temporary until i purchase a new laptop. UGH.

Thanks for you help

RQ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Sorry to hear your Mac got stolen

To use your stuff on your room-mate's Mac, you should create your own user account on their machine. This can be very easily deleted once you've replaced your own Mac, and will cause minimal disruption to their machine.

To add an account, open system preferences and click on "accounts" pane, then click the "+" button as indicated in this screen shot (this screen shot is from Leopard, IIRC, Tiger's looks the same but if your friend has an older machine the pane may not be called "accounts" and may not look this this; I've blacked out personal info from my screen shot):

Hopefully from there it should be self-explanatory.

Once the account is ready, log off* and then log on with your newly created user-name and password - it will look like a brand new OS X installation and you can set application preferences and everything just how you like, without disrupting your friend's settings (i.e., as long as there's enough HDD space, you can set up your own iTunes library, e-mail accounts in Mail, etc. etc.)

*Alternatively, you might like to turn on "fast user switching" (found by clicking on "Login Options") on screen shot above); this enables you to log on without your friend having to log off first.

When your new Mac has arrived and you're ready to delete your stuff from your friend's Mac, (s)he should log in, open system preferences, go to "accounts", click on your account in the list, then press the "-" button as highlighted in the screen shot above.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sorry to hear your Mac got stolen

SNIP!!

Erm Mr H, nice advice and help you have provided but he just says he owns a laptop but didn't say if it was a Mac or PC..