17" Intel iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi All- So my brother was upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard tonight...and during the install, the time remaining went negative, then shortly thereafter everything froze up so he was forced to power down and since then nothing has been right. He can't restore from backup because apparently there isn't enough space on the disk, then we tried to repair persmissions, it says it cannot and to reformat hard drive...so we do that, reboot and then try to re-install leopard only for now, and when it comes up to choose a destination drive he is just a blank box, his hard drive doesn't show up!

Is the hard drive gone bad?? Any suggestions??

Thanks all in advance!

Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattss View Post

Hi All- So my brother was upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard tonight...and during the install, the time remaining went negative, then shortly thereafter everything froze up so he was forced to power down and since then nothing has been right. He can't restore from backup because apparently there isn't enough space on the disk, then we tried to repair persmissions, it says it cannot and to reformat hard drive...so we do that, reboot and then try to re-install leopard only for now, and when it comes up to choose a destination drive he is just a blank box, his hard drive doesn't show up!

Is the hard drive gone bad?? Any suggestions??

Thanks all in advance!

Matt

sound like it can you get to in fire wire target disk mode?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

sound like it can you get to in fire wire target disk mode?

not sure! When I replace the hard drive, my last back up is from Leopard, can I install snow leopard right away, and restore from my backup or should I put leopard on first??