Future of ZIF socket

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I notice that all ZIF upgrades are currently stuck at 500mhz. Does anyone know why they arnt at least around the 700mhz range? How long do you think that the upgrade manufacturers can last? I think they will go out of business soon because I dont think many people want to spend 350$ to go from a 400 G3 to a 500 G4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    majukimajuki Posts: 114member
    [quote]Originally posted by lordsegan:

<strong>I notice that all ZIF upgrades are currently stuck at 500mhz. Does anyone know why they arnt at least around the 700mhz range? How long do you think that the upgrade manufacturers can last? I think they will go out of business soon because I dont think many people want to spend 350$ to go from a 400 G3 to a 500 G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think a lot of them are still in shock that Apple decided to go through with OS X. Some cards are incompatible that way.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Apple has basically stuck a fork in all the upgrade companies, with increased difficulty in upgrades to the point of those companies not being able to do it profitably.

Jet
  • Reply 3 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Best macintosh upgrade policy is still to sell your old machine and buy a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>Best macintosh upgrade policy is still to sell your old machine and buy a new one.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not...

I have a few 533Mhz systems at the office and I could get my company to purchase 700Mhz+ upgrades for them without too much trouble... But then what on earth would I do with the 533Mhz chips? Hmm I have this 450Mhz G4 at home that could use some extra Mhz lovin'...

In a case such as this an upgrade would be more than welcome on several levels.

Dave