iPhone Instant Messaging

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I may have searched wrong but I couldn't find the answer in previous posts.

Is there an app that will actually Keep you logged into a chat program and alert you immediately that you have a mesage? Every app I have tried logs you out when you go to the home screen.

Please help me, I switched from the G1 to the iPhone and this is the ONE feature that I thought iphone would have!! It should be so simple. on the G1 everything was instant, but seems the iphone does not even get email instant.

Am I just missing something here? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to be able to stay logged into google chat or yahoo messenger while I'm away from home, just incase my husband in the army messages me from far away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by berrykix View Post

I may have searched wrong but I couldn't find the answer in previous posts.

Is there an app that will actually Keep you logged into a chat program and alert you immediately that you have a mesage? Every app I have tried logs you out when you go to the home screen.

Please help me, I switched from the G1 to the iPhone and this is the ONE feature that I thought iphone would have!! It should be so simple. on the G1 everything was instant, but seems the iphone does not even get email instant.

Am I just missing something here? Any advice would be appreciated. I want to be able to stay logged into google chat or yahoo messenger while I'm away from home, just incase my husband in the army messages me from far away.

Any IM app that supports Apple's Push Notifications will work. IM+, BeeJive are two of the top paid apps and Parlingo is a free app.

I use BeeJive, so I can discuss that. Once downloaded, you add your accts (GTalk, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc). Then close the app and open Settings->BeeJive. Change Notifications setting to Push if not already set and also change the Session Timeout value to your desired period (it will keep you logged in for up to 7 days between launches).

One thing to remember, with any of the apps, is that if you login to your various accts at another locations, i.e. on your PC, then most of them will stay logged in at that location and any messages will go there instead of you iPhone. You will need to remember to launch the app on the phone and login to your accts again. BeeJive will notify you when an acct gets logged into another location if it means you get logged out on Beejive.