iPod touch speed tests; iPhone radiation; Google Chrome Mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A new test proves Apple's claims of a 50 percent faster iPod touch; the iPhone does OK in a radiation emission test; and Google Chrome is updated, but Mac users still have to wait for a final version.

New iPod touch carries performance boost

In a new test Macworld pitted the new iPod touch and its faster processor against the second-generation model, and the results proved what Apple has touted: the new model is, in some cases, more than twice as fast as its predecessor.

"Just as the iPhone 3GS was faster than the iPhone 3G at everything, the new iPod touch feels much faster at any task you throw at it: applications launch (and quit) faster, Web pages load more quickly, processor-intensive games and programs perform better—you name it," the test concluded.

Unveiled last week, the new iPod touch comes in capacities of 32GB for $299 and 64GB for $399. Both models have a faster processor that can run Open GL ES 2.0. Apple also offers the 8GB model, which does not sport the faster hardware.

iPhone 3GS fares decent in radiation test

A new report from the Environmental Working Group tackles the subject of radiation output from cell phones and potential health implications. The study concludes that those who use cell phones for 10 years or longer have "serious health problems."

"Scientific research conducted over the past decade has associated cell phone radiation with increased risk of developing brain and salivary gland tumors, neurological symptoms such as migraine and vertigo, and neurodevelopmental effects observed as behavioral problems in young children," the report said.

It recommends that the U.S. government mandate that radiation emissions of phones be provided to users at point of sale, and that users buy phones that output low levels of radiation.

In a breakdown of all phones, iPhone 3GS is found to produce a specific absorption rate of 1.19 W/kg of radiation. That places it about in the middle of the road for smartphones -- well ahead of the T-Mobile myTouch 3G (1.55 W/kg) and Blackberry Bold 9000 (1.51 W/kg), but also far behind the Samsung Impression (0.35 W/kg) and Blackberry Storm 9530 (0.57 W/kg).

The original iPhone produced 0.97 W/kg, while the iPhone 3G, which is still available for $99, produces 1.39 W/kg when held at the ear.

The organization provides tips for users to limit exposure to radiation, including using a headset, holding the phone away from the body, and texting instead of talking.

Google Chrome for Mac release by end of year

Google this week released the third version of its Chrome browser for PC. While the software is still in testing for Mac, Google told Reuters that a final version will be released by the end of the year.

"A much-anticipated Mac version of Chrome, currently only available for testing, will be released by the year's end, Google Product Management Vice President Sundar Pichai said recently during the same interview with Reuters at Google's headquarters in Mountain View, California," the report said.

Released just a year ago, Chrome has seen a number of improvements since its debut. Google said that the browser's JavaScript performance has sped up by more than 150 percent, including a 25 percent boost from the latest release. In all, 3,505 bugs have been addressed in the first 12 months.

While Chrome is already in version 3, don't expect to see the browser released for Mac before version 4 is available. That is where "Chromium," the pre-alpha version of the browser for Mac, is numbered. In a test last month, Chromium was found to be 34 percent faster than Safari 4.0.3 in the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    I've been using Google Chrome on Mac for weeks. I think it works great and I've had no problems with it at all. And it is *really* fast.

A quick Google search will show you this page. Where you can easily download and install Chrome.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a test last month, Chromium was found to be 34 percent faster than Safari 4.0.3 in the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark.

That was only true on Leopard. On SL in both 32-bit and 64-bit Safari 4.0.3 beats Chromium by a wide margin.

That said, letting these leads in JS determine your browser is silly. There are legitimate reasons to choose any browser on the market, even IE.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrad View Post

A quick Google search will show you this page. Where you can easily download and install Chrome.

Thanks for this.
  • Reply 4 of 36

• Reply 5 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8corewhore View Post

ROFL!!!!! Priceless
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Am I going to have growths on my leg, because I have my iPhone in my pocket for 9 hours a day (while at work). When I get home, I have it sitting on a table or something.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    They said the report indicates there is cause for concern. It is not conclusive and there is still no hard proof that it causes any of the illnesses mentioned. They are basing their decision on studies with animals subjected to much higher levels of electromagnetic radiation.

Unfortunately it also doesn't mention if the phone transmitter is active (I assume it is since they are talking about time with the phone spent in close proximity to the head), but I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

As with all things, a little caution might be a good idea but I wouldn't toss out your phone based on this.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    The report here about cell phone radiation seems alarmist to me, since it implies there is a known danger, but the best studies to date have found no danger. See the FCC position on this. Also, as the FCC comment points out, the regulations in the US are already significantly more restrictive than those in other countries.

The only effect on the body of light waves (radio waves) of the wavelengths used in cell phones is a very slight and spread-out heating effect, tiny compared to the heat the body produces itself. Most scientists do not believe this could be harmful.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    Quote:

The organization provides tips for users to limit exposure to radiation [?] texting instead of talking.

Obviously, AT&T wants to sell some more texting packages.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    T-Mobile Sidekick only puts out 0.50 W/kg =]
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Quote:

The organization provides tips for users to limit exposure to radiation, including using a headset, holding the phone away from the body, and texting instead of talking.

BT Headset or wired? Any difference in risk? How much risk reduction is there between those 2 Headsets and not using any Headset!

"holding the phone away from the body" - obviously they don't mean holding it with a stretched arm like in that legendary Leonardo da Vinci drawing http://www.drawingsofleonardo.org/images/vitruvian.jpg [thank you http://www.drawingsofleonardo.org Vitruvian Man, c. 1490]

Jokes aside, so iPhone would be on the belt, or a pocket (pants, jacket) - where we'd need to guess what's least risky?

Can't Text and drive, walk, run... Risky too! Leonardo way, or not!!

I also wonder if those studies use this kind of publicity to insure better funding, and thus jobs for themselves!?

Add Ted Kennedy and Johnny Cochran (OJ Simpson's attorney) among the famous people who died of brain tumors. At least in Johnny Cochran's case, it's been often alleged that his death had something to do with his frequent use of cell phone! I haven't heard that said in conjunction with Kennedy's brain tumor!

Both those guys surely used cell phones a lot, particularly the older models, that were expensive, in the early days of cell phones, when there was less talk about such radiation risks...

Also, how does cell phone radiation risk compare to smoking, bad diet, medications, drugs etc.?!

A much better perspective is needed before getting hysterical, like some people I know, who are afraid to use even Headsets, cause they've heard that that's even worse than holding phone to the ear! As a Result, they use Speaker Phone feature when talking on their cell phone!

Result - there is an echo, and one often has to repeat things, and thus the phone call lasts a lot longer! I've ended up in arguments about that, which can't be good for my health!!!!
  • Reply 12 of 36
    This is the Python script I use to get the LATEST Mac build. Stik it into a .py & chmod 755.

First manually create: /Users/ACCOUNT/Downloads/chrome-mac/

Replace ACCOUNT with your username.

Enjoy.

#!/usr/bin/python2.6

import sys

import os

import urllib

import zipfile

BUILD_BASE_URL = 'http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/'

LOCAL_BASE = '/Users/ACCOUNT/Downloads/chrome-mac/'

BINARY = '/chrome-mac.zip'

def releaseURL():

""" """

return BUILD_BASE_URL + 'LATEST'

def binaryURL(release):

""" """

return BUILD_BASE_URL + str(release) + BINARY

def localName(release):

""" """

return LOCAL_BASE + release + '.zip'

# Get LATEST build info

response = urllib.urlopen(releaseURL())

release = response.read().strip()

print 'LATEST = [' + release + ']'

zipFilename = localName(release)

if os.path.exists(zipFilename):

print 'Skipping, file already exists.'

sys.exit(2)

# Get build

fileURL = binaryURL(release)

print 'Downloading ' + fileURL + ' ...'

fresponse = urllib.urlopen(fileURL)

data = fresponse.read()

# Write data

print 'Writing file to: ' + zipFilename

file = file(zipFilename, 'wb')

file.write(data)

file.close()

# Open directory in Finder

os.system('open -a Finder ' + LOCAL_BASE)

os.system('open ' + zipFilename)

• Reply 13 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

BT Headset or wired? Any difference in risk? How much risk reduction is there between those 2 Headsets and not using any Headset!

In my opinion Bluetooth headsets are stupid. On the other hand they are often worn by the types of people I don't really like. So if a Bluetooth headset leads to a painful early death for them then great.

Quote:

"holding the phone away from the body" - obviously they don't mean holding it with a stretched arm like in that legendary Leonardo da Vinci drawing

Jokes aside, so iPhone would be on the belt, or a pocket (pants, jacket) - where we'd need to guess what's least risky?

Certain tissues are at less risk. Of course there are certain tissues in your pants that are more important than your brain.

For example when I was learning RF cicuitry I was always taught not to look at the exposed final tube as the radiation could cause blindness. Now here we are talking power output in the range of several hundred watts so there is several orders of magnatude difference in energy here. In any event at these power and proximity levels there are other associated illnesses.

The problem with all of this is that safety is currently determine by heat potential as there are observed safety issues, what hasn't been studied much at all is the potential for other failure modes.

Quote:

Can't Text and drive, walk, run... Risky too! Leonardo way, or not!!

I also wonder if those studies use this kind of publicity to insure better funding, and thus jobs for themselves!?

Now you are on to something. If you can scare the hell out of people you can get all sorts of money thrown at you. This might remind you of the global warming crowd, the difference here is the science. There are known issues with RF energy, especially at high power levels, the problem at the cell phone level is that there isn't a model yet that would explain low power health issues. It would be far better for science if these guys shut up for a bit and get back to work in the lab to identify a process that could cause these issues.

Quote:

Add Ted Kennedy and Johnny Cochran (OJ Simpson's attorney) among the famous people who died of brain tumors. At least in Johnny Cochran's case, it's been often alleged that his death had something to do with his frequent use of cell phone! I haven't heard that said in conjunction with Kennedy's brain tumor!

So what you are saying is that there is a good use for cell phones besides making calls?

In any event I still don't see the link. My fathers first wife died from a brain tumor and that was well before 1960. People are always looking for an explanation for loss and some times turn to any reasonable thing to blame, instead of excepting we don't know. Stomach ulcers are an example up until the major cause was identified a few years ago. Everything was blamed from the food to water to a weakness for liqour.

Quote:

Both those guys surely used cell phones a lot, particularly the older models, that were expensive, in the early days of cell phones, when there was less talk about such radiation risks...

The only problem is that it took to long. Both of these guys have done a lot of harm to the country.

Quote:

Also, how does cell phone radiation risk compare to smoking, bad diet, medications, drugs etc.?!

We all have to die sometime. Some of these cancers are rather unpleasant to deal with though. Of course liberals will demand 100% safety which is impossible. Thankfully this is a risk each of us can manage on our own.

Quote:

A much better perspective is needed before getting hysterical, like some people I know, who are afraid to use even Headsets, cause they've heard that that's even worse than holding phone to the ear! As a Result, they use Speaker Phone feature when talking on their cell phone!

Actually they might be. Especially for people wearing them 24/7. I think it is a huge mistake to put a Bluetooth transmitter in you ear. Even a modest understanding of electronics and RF systems says erring on the side of caution is in order.

Quote:

Result - there is an echo, and one often has to repeat things, and thus the phone call lasts a lot longer! I've ended up in arguments about that, which can't be good for my health!!!!

In this case I think you are wrong to argue about a Bluetooth headset. A set of earbuds might be worth suggesting though.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acacio View Post

This is the Python script I use to get the LATEST Mac build. Stik it into a .py & chmod 755.

First manually create: /Users/ACCOUNT/Downloads/chrome-mac/

Replace ACCOUNT with your username.

Enjoy.

#!/usr/bin/python2.6

def releaseURL():

""" """

return BUILD_BASE_URL + 'LATEST'

All the code under def's should be indented but the forum, eats prefix spaces :-(

I've put it here:

http://www.acacio.com/software/mac/chromium-update-py (rename to .py)
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Pull your head out of your behind some of you.

Radiation from cell phones is a real and frightening. Don't be suckers of course the results are incoclusive because the trillions of bucks are behind manufactirers and cell cos and it's too early for epidemiological data.

REQUEST:

Can anyone suggest a good Bluetooth headset compatible with the iPhones. The apple one I got is perfect in every respect but actually working without static. And I desperately need to get one.

You should too. Don't be suckers and let it fry your brain.

And btw why does the official apple data mention a .7 value for sar while the actual is 1.5?

Apple I am not happy with guys. Health is important, theist important aspect. Get your asses to work to make a much safer device at last. WTF is wrong with you? Samsung has got phones with a 1/10 if your radiation. That's just pathetic. But maybe I ll chuck the iPhone away and get a samsung soul and a touch. Why the hell should my brain get 10 times mire radiation.

APPLE get your shit together and make a safe phone.

And if any moron wants to reply with inane taunts, just ignore my post if it doesn't cut it for you. Simple . I am not opening up this post for criticism so I will not respond to any.

Any guys with a good iPhone Bluetooth though please get in touch.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

Am I going to have growths on my leg, because I have my iPhone in my pocket for 9 hours a day (while at work). When I get home, I have it sitting on a table or something.

Probably not. The biological makeup of your leg (muscle cells) is probably not that sensitive to that level of radiation. The two testicles directly next to your leg, however, are another matter.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Cell phone radiation is a nothing but scare tactics. Everything you get in contact with can kill you. Waking up in the morning can kill you.

For decades it has been known that soda and fast foods cause diseases and death. Why are there no warning signs in front of McDonald's warning of death?
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

Cell phone radiation is a nothing but scare tactics. Everything you get in contact with can kill you. Waking up in the morning can kill you.

For decades it has been known that soda and fast foods cause diseases and death. Why are there no warning signs in front of McDonald's warning of death?

Answer: McDonalds' money keeps those warnings repressed.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Pull your head out of your behind some of you.

Radiation from cell phones is a real and frightening. Don't be suckers of course the results are incoclusive because the trillions of bucks are behind manufactirers and cell cos and it's too early for epidemiological data.

REQUEST:

Can anyone suggest a good Bluetooth headset compatible with the iPhones. The apple one I got is perfect in every respect but actually working without static. And I desperately need to get one.

You should too. Don't be suckers and let it fry your brain.

And btw why does the official apple data mention a .7 value for sar while the actual is 1.5?

Apple I am not happy with guys. Health is important, theist important aspect. Get your asses to work to make a much safer device at last. WTF is wrong with you? Samsung has got phones with a 1/10 if your radiation. That's just pathetic. But maybe I ll chuck the iPhone away and get a samsung soul and a touch. Why the hell should my brain get 10 times mire radiation.

APPLE get your shit together and make a safe phone.

And if any moron wants to reply with inane taunts, just ignore my post if it doesn't cut it for you. Simple . I am not opening up this post for criticism so I will not respond to any.

Any guys with a good iPhone Bluetooth though please get in touch.

Texting while driving will probably kill you long before any electromagnetic radiation. Do you realize how much radiation of all different sorts you are exposed to every moment of every day? You are surrounded by electromagnetic radiation, both man made and natural. Even light and heat are a form of it.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themoonisdown09 View Post

Am I going to have growths on my leg, because I have my iPhone in my pocket for 9 hours a day (while at work).

Your phone only radiates when it is uploading data or transmitting voice.

While the phone is in your pocket and you aren't moving across a large number of cells, it will only transmit every 1-2 hours to let the network know you're still there. Push email and notifications will transmit a keep alive message roughly every 10 minutes.

When you a receive a call, SMS, push email or push notification you then begin transmitting data.